biggest mule deer ever killed

Brett "Cooter" Ross had a buck tag in his pocket and an antlered deer of unknown size in front of him. He was dropped off in Proven Canyon, a place where he killed a buck the prior year that had a 41-inch spread. Check out these photos of rutting whitetails, and learn about the behavior of a trophy buck during the rut: Skis are easily the most efficient way to cover snowy ground on foot in winter. Navajo Nation in Arizona, during the 2008 hunting season, when he came upon this monster buck. Barry Peterson shot this monster buck in 1995 in Colorado. Sign up for daily stories delivered to your inbox. It was a distance of approximately 100 miles. I was just so excited to show the man who taught me everything about hunting my bloody hands and what Id just killed.. Just take a minute and stare at it. William L. Murphy killed this Kaibab buck on November 14, 1943. It broke the 50-year record held by the #2 Spot! The compilation episode of some of the biggest mule deer ever killed on film! There, I found that two moose had crossed the deers tracks.. Joined: Jan 2002 With 33 scorable points and 115-2/8 inches of non-typical points, this bucks most amazing characteristic might just be its greatest spread at 43-4/8 inches. Who can tell, I may yet beat my old 1926 record.. These Mule deer are absolutely huge! Luckily, Broder gave a colorful account of his hunt. All of these characteristics apply to the above-displayed photographs of a claimed 412-lb. Net Score: 355 2/8 Inches. When he put this Arizona giant on the ground, it would become one of the largest mule deer killed in the last decade. He was watching the deer on the hillside when he heard yet more rustling from below in the brush. On his way to meet the bucks, he nearly stepped on a doe that exploded from her bed. They were driving a 1914 Model T and a 1924 McLaughlin touring car. He spotted a giant buck bedded in the trees and put the sneak on him before anyone else spotted it. sparkes3. By day four, Doug had set his sights on a buck that one of his hunting buddies had seen earlier. Now, its rumored another record was broken by their neighbors to the south. Location: Okanagan, British Columbia. The main difference between scoring a whitetail and a muley is how you handle the tines. Contributed . Not so for this buck, which is reported to have been given as a gift prior to 1892 by an Indian hunter to Sir Edgar Dewdney, then lieutenant governor of British Columbia. Then, Broder had to make a life-altering decision. This is a brute. While it may not take a freakish set of antlers to qualify for inclusion in the registries of several other clubs, only about one deer in a million finds its antlers on the Boon and Crocket registry. In the end, the earnings were split between all siblings. Number 2Unknown Oldie. Below we've listed the most significant mule deer hunting accomplishments in each category. Wow, great buck! You can see why, though, in this video of a mule deer eating a deer carcass. Fall of 1926 found Edmund Broder and two hunting buddies heading to hunting camp in a 1914 Model T and a 1924 McLaughlin touring car west of Edmonton, Alberta. It belonged to his grandfather, who killed the buck in the 1950s in the South Saskatchewan River area. This is a beautiful buck. And its rare. He was crushed, but he finally picked up the trail. What is Personally Identifiable Information? The SCI #1 typical Rocky Mountain Mule Deer was hunted by Max Johnson with a rifle in San Juan County, Utah in October of 1968. Missouri Monarch. In Canada, you can find Rocky Mountain mule deer in British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. What's the biggest mule deer ever killed? However, SCI does not deduct the score for non-typical points (on a typical deer) or differences in symmetry. Required fields are marked *. (Update: We've learned that in 2013, Matson's aged a wild Louisiana whitetail doe at 22 years.) But having my best friend and fianc on the hunt with me, and having Dad back at camp Its for those reasons that Ill never have another hunt mean so much to me.. Field Dressed Weight: 431-Lbs. I thought that at any moment Ashton Kutcher was going to jump out of the bushes and say You got punked!. Todays trailers are full of light packs and heavy packs, and that makes it confusing. Big-Game and Draw Hunts; Draw Licenses and Fees; Draw Info, Odds & Success Tips; New! Have you signed up to our Email List yet? Besides, their weight may fluctuate considerably based on a variety of factors, such as how much water theyve got in their system. Number 1Broder Buck. If these racks are measured using the same criteria that are used for measuring typical antlers, they would score very poorlyeven if they were immense. And to think those antlers were slated to be cut into knife handles. This way, you can even compare bucks from different areas, who were harvested by hunters using different techniques and weapons. In 1991, he moved the head to a business owned by a connoisseur of racks, who contacted an artist, who contacted a Boone and Crockett measurer who then taped it out as the largest Nevada buck ever. Everyone split up, and Alton set up on a bluff to sit. The rifle shot echoed across the mountains and Levi and Ross briefly celebrated the fact that once again they would bring venison back to camp. Your email address will not be published. What is the largest whitetail deer ever recorded? 1 all-time best non-typical whitetail buck that netted 333 7/8 inches. Passing on a buck is always a gamble, but sometimes the strategy pays off. It was taken all the way back in 1926 and there still hasnt been a buck to dethrone it. The first product of my efforts was a book titled Idaho's Greatest Mule Deer, a 400-page accounting of most all of the biggest mule deer bucks ever taken in the Gem State. Dont Miss:Top 5 Booner Mule Deer Hunting States Since 2010. Simons has killed three other deer that grossed over 200 inches, but this was by far the largest muley he's ever hunted. That, combined with the fact that this record has stood for over 45 years, makes this buck even more impressive. Check out these posts as well. Kirk gets a 212-class mount. With 33 scorable points and 115-2/8 inches of non-typical points . ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. . Heavy packs are for people who need to carry lots of stuff plus have plenty of gear to keep them busy. Spend $150 more to qualify for a free Rolling Thunder Turkey Call set! You can do that too. There is some debate on the classification of blacktail under mule deer. Sept 15th produced the biggest mule deer of my life with much credit to my good friends Neno and Miriam that packed in our . boone-crockett.org. The Broder Buck: The World Record Non-Typical Mule Deer 361 6/8 Inches. In 1991, he moved the head to a business owned by a connoisseur of racks. Ive seen them run about 300 yards and that was with a heavy pack. Which is why I wouldnt be surprised if the pack of mule deer was very fast with a heavy pack. may just give you the edge you need to kill the buck of a lifetime. Of course, measuring a rack of antlers isnt like measuring the length of a fish. No matter the pursuit, sportsmen and sportswomen are always interested in improving their game. Then again, that was more than a century ago. Brett Cooter Ross had a buck tag in his pocket and an antlered deer of unknown size in front of him. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS 1,315-YARD SHOT ON A MULE DEER. There's nothing mule deer hunters love better than a rut hunt, and for good reason. When it was alive, this behemoth buck prowled Baldhead Canyon, north of Honeyville, Utah. Check outourstories, videos and hard-hitting how-to'sondeer hunting. Theres also a question as to where the spread will be measured, which could lead to a 5-inch swing. Its a true giant. Visibility is limited so Simons had to get elevated for a better view, which he accomplished by sitting on a 12-foot step ladder in the bed of his pickup. I had only seen that expression on his face twice before. Location: Okanagan, British Columbia. You need to slip into his world, remaining quiet, comfortable and concealed. William L. Murphy killed this Kaibab buck on November 14, 1943. A 10 year old boy named Frank Mestas bird hunting on his uncle Solomons ranch (near the Mundy ranch) dropped the buck with a 22 short right behind the left year. I had to make a decision as to whether to go after the moose or the deer, Broder said. Hunter. For these reasons, the SCI score for the biggest mule deer buck may differ significantly (higher or lower, depending on the animal) from the B&C score for the same animal. Simons estimated that the buck was 180 inches at 3.5 years old, 215 inches at 4.5, and 235 inches at 5.5. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. He knew that was the one he wanted. There are no missing bucks from this piece, it includes the top 40 all time. This spooked the bucks. Hes also in the Boone and Crocketts Top 20 with a non-typical mule deer buck he took in 1963. Don refused to reveal its whereabouts and spent six days in jail for contempt. The result was a pretty tough workout hauling out one of the biggest mule deer ever taken by a hunter. prairie dog shooter #1632410 08/26/07. The Roosevelt Elk set the Oregon State Record for Archery with a score of 392 3/8 an incredible score for this species! But after realizing it was one of the best typicals in all of Idaho, he probably got over it. Numerous record-book mule deer have come out of the area, and this is the largest. Decent hunt for a buck-Region R, The West side of the Bighorns is a mule deer producing factory on a good . While there are several different hunting clubs that maintain a record book of big bucks, the Boone and Crocket Club is North America's oldest wildlife and habitat conservation organization,founded in 1887 by Theodore Roosevelt. Year. The current Oregon Stake record, this buck was taken in Umatilla County in 1925. PJ DelHomme Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. Big-Game and Draw Hunts. If you know of any bigger bucks, or if you would like to add to this post please comment down below! This is a very solid hunt in my opinion for the meager three or four point spend. Here are the six world record mule deer by subspecies and all the information you need to know about them. Despite being screwed to a wooden shield and held together by the original hide, the rack made it back in one piece. Score: 330-1/8. With numerous children to his name, who would get the Model T, chaps, saddle and the monster buck? The buck officially scored after the 60-day drying period - 223" gross and 218 2/8" net, making him the biggest . Several months later my phone rang at 1 a.m. Doug, Ed blurted out, I think your buck may be the best typical ever taken. It was, and has been ever since. (Note: Every year in Nevada, approximately 8,000 to 10,000 coyotes and 200 mountain lions are killed from all causes of mortality.) He had a massive inside spread of 36 4/8 inches and scored 228 5/8 inches. Want to know how your buck measures up against one claimed by the old Rough Rider? Thats pretty wild. They tried to stick it out, even smearing mud on their license plate, but in the end, packed up and headed to a new spot. Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Live2HuntwithCodyKelsy/Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/live2hunt_with_cody_and_kelsy/Thank you so much for watching! This makes them capable of running faster than any other deer. New Mexico record nontypical mule deer, taken by Joseph A. Garcia in Rio Arriba County, 1963. Throughout the gallery we included of the unbelievable stories of how some of these mule deer were killed. Do you want to see more record big game animals? When this non-typical taped out at more than 407 whopping points, something just didnt sit right. Ive only seen mule deer when Ive had my dogs. He had me pegged, but I think all he could see was my hat. At noon he saw three bucks moving his way. Score: 226 4/8 Inches. It has a 22 1/8-inch inside spread and sports a total of 43 scoreable points. The compilation episode of some of the biggest mule deer ever killed on film! Site by Gray Loon. 10-28-2010, 07:28 PM. Field Dressed Weight: No Field Dress Weight. As you can see this deer is in the #2 spot. The mule deer are also the most popular target for hunters, but they can also be surprisingly gentle. We just knew it was a legal deer. No one, of course, knows exactly how much, but many antler collectors have some estimates. I am sorry if I have a bit of a problem here, but I am not sure if you are able to explain how heavy packs get on the road. Out of the brush popped a small 3-point. He was a 252-inch buck, and he had a total of 25 points. Kyle Lopez was 14 when he took this giant mule deer in Colorados Pike National Forest. Cloaking yourself in NOMAD high performance hunting apparel, Shop All Nomad Whitetail Deer Hunting Clothes. Check out these 10 monster bucks that were taken throughout the country. November 15, 2022 |Brow Tines and Backstrap. That was with a heavy pack. While Simons is confident that his buck will top the 16-year-old record, he admitted that the antlers require some interpretive scoring. The palmation makes it difficult to determine where tines originate, and two webbed points off the main beam might not be considered distinct enough. After Clifton died in 1956, the antlers hung in his garage, then an uncle displayed them in his California restaurant for six years. What a rack that ones got, he wrote in a letter recounting the hunt. Mule deer, so called because of their large, "mule-like" ears, are a species of deer predominantly found in the western portions of the United States, Canada, and Mexico. In 1925, a hunter killed the buck for meat and left the head behind. Have you ever wondered how big the Biggest Deer Shot really are? The average "big" Roman nose 4 was around 26-28 inches. . Good thing they did. 357 SIG: Is the Semi-Auto .357 Magnum Dead? It also has nine impressive scoreable points on each side. As we were getting closer, Levi could see the buck through an opening in the trees, but I couldnt, explained Ross. He started hunting mule deer in the late 1970s, missing only one season in 35 years. The largest non-typical Colorado mule deer on the B&C record books measured 306 7/8 inches, and was taken in Montezuma County in 1972. We'll go by SCI's book for these purposes. Appearing back in court, Don admitted to selling the head to a collector on eBay for $170,000. And this drive will last for the rest of your life. All six of these records have held up for at least 30 years. Taken in 1965, theres not much information to be had regarding the story behind this exceptional typical. Nor does every hunter have the chance to tread the deer trails in mid to late November when the rut ramps up over most mule deer habitat in the United States. Soon, I came across a large deer track. They most often exhibit very typical-like frames. Colorado season is underway and what an awesome video to start it off. While there are several different hunting clubs that maintain a record book of big bucks, the Boone and Crocket Club is North America's oldest wildlife and habitat conservation organization. Whitetail hunting strategies for the next generation. Antlers this big can be more trouble than theyre worth. Following the deer tracks for a half mile, I found where [it] had bedded down. The earliest versions of these e-mailed pictures said the deer . Ray Talbot was the sheriff of Franklin County, Idaho when he took this magnificent mule deer in 1961. When you get to the road, you should go down that road and a heavy pack. With numerous children to his name, the buck did not have a legal owner. In this video, Ill demonstrate how to score a mule deer buck. Thinking it was simply a squirrel, he ignored it and watched a few deer on the hillside. Editors Note:TheBoone & Crockett Clubhas long been a conservation organization that stands and strives for the preservation and well-being of all big game animals, but especially the mule deer. Jason Houser is an avid traditional bowhunter from Central Illinois who killed his first deer when he was nine years old. Let us know what you thought about these Monsters! Simons has killed three other deer that grossed over 200 inches, but this was by far the largest muley hes ever hunted. Sometimes a hunt is over as soon as it beginssuch is the case with this fine buck taken on a ranch near Norwood. Want to know how your buck compares to others from your state? FY 2015 - 99,000. Which begs the question: Why arent more bird hunters using them? Ed left camp around 1 p.m. and followed some deer tracks. (Photograph courtesy of the Boone and Crockett Club) B&C Score. Records arent easy to break. That's the season of the year when bucks are . Published Feb 20, 2015 1:28 AM EST. Once the road dissolved, they hired a horse and sleigh to get them south of Chip Lake. The Show-Me State holds some of the top places in the deer hunting record books. Following these tracks through the swamp, I came up onto higher land with a clearing not too far off, Broder continued. You see them a lot. Wed barely walked a half mile from the trailhead on the first morning when a respectable, dark-horned 44 strode out into the icy breeze 100 yards ahead. I feel the same way about light packs and heavy packs.

Cute Japanese Food Names For Pets, Apply For A Dropped Kerb Blackburn With Darwen, Yellow Water Dripping From Nose When Bending Over, Septa Radio Frequencies, Fort Sam Houston National Guard Liaison, Articles B

biggest mule deer ever killed