did matthew boynton shoot his wife

The neighbor believes Matthew Boynton discovered the divorce diary and simply snapped. The other problem: she said she didn't know how to get his gun out of his holsternor has she ever held or shot a gun. Jessica Boynton was just 19 years old when she was found inside a locked closet with a gunshot wound to her head. I don't know why. This time for a DNA consent. "It was. And with that Matthew Boyton's questioning was over. He grabs his police radio, stationed and charging on top of the white microwave in the kitchen, and leaves his phone on the counter. GBI didn't report finding any blood spatter on the closet wall. Maybe Jessica would remember why and when the door knob was swapped because it happened before that night. She agreed to provide those items to Sanders, who then turned them in to the Griffin Police Department. In fact, 68 text messages are exchanged between him and his mistress. He reads another text from mistress, while driving home at nearly 90 mph. As she continues to tinker with clothes, she notices that her red and black composition notebook, which is usually carefully tucked under a pile of clothes inside her closet, has been left on top of the clothes. Am I recording it? Matthew makes it home and races to the breezeway of his apartment and enters, checks the master bedroom and bangs on the locked closet door. Matthew Boynton, 21, had just started work as a Griffin police officer. Officer Robert Brian Jones shouts, as he travels deeper inside the two-bedroom apartmenthis weapon drawn. Their neighbor says Jessica wasn't suicidal at all. And based on the totality of circumstances, all the facts and circumstances, all the forensics, and the conclusion of the case, as well as the GBI's and the district attorney's recommendation, is no, he did not cause her injuries, Yates concluded. (He resigned) about the time they brought him in. Terms of Use | My understanding of the laws of physics is that one person cannot be in two places at the same time," Mathews said in an interview with 11Alive. Cops do find Jessica's DNA on the gun. I mean you can't prove that," DeMarco. Matthew Boynton allegedly deprived ex-wife Jessica Lester of her belongings and lied to the authorities about doing so, Griffin police Lt. Michael Natale said in a statement. I figured out what happened. "She was actually happy, she was thrilled because she finally got that closure that she needed," says the neighbor. Join our naturalist on a short walk and learn about the history of the once-prosperous town of High Falls. And its assigned to Matthew. He said the description of a self-inflicted gunshot wound didn't fit, noting her pristine and unmarked hands and calling it a very unusual direction in which to point the gun at one's self with the intention of committing suicide., First of all, the wound that she suffered was toward the vertex of her skull on the right side of her head; this would imply that she shot herself with a gun pointed downward near the top of her skull., The second most striking observation he said he made while assessing Jessica was neither of her hands had any evidence of any gunpowder stippling from gunpowder blowback.. After establishing her retainer was not community property, Boynton was arrested on two felonies false statements and writings and violation of his oath of office. "It was determined that he knowingly provided a false statement relating to the property in question and his possession of (it)," Natale said in a release .l Center. OR OTHER GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS. It's back in the headlines with the "Mystery in the Closet" story on the HLN network s well as "The Officer's Wife" podcast from Vault Studios.. She's moaning.. She spoke to the GBI, from her hospital bed. GSW, possible to the head. The second bullet hole is more of a mystery. [Im] gonna have to kick that door in Jones relays to the other officers standing on the other side of the closet, barreling through it in just two swift and deliberate kicks. This is abuse of power. Eventually, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation concluded what they believe happened inside that closet; Matthew Boynton was never charged with any connection in harming his wife. But, Jessica said regardless of her knowledge of guns, she had every reason to live. "He said 'What's wrong? And would a dad leave his kids inside with a suicidal woman and a loaded gun? Matthew's mistress worked as a dispatch officer, reporting to Sheriff Wendell Beam, who just happens to be Matthew Boynton's grandfather. I didn't bring any other ones with me. The 20-year-old says he's heading to Waffle House for a late night food run with on-duty cop and best friend, Officer Joshua Guthrie--leaving his service weapon at home, in its holster and in the closet. His phone was given to someone else at Griffin PD, they put the phone in the thing because they knew GBI wanted it, and that's where we're gonna be while he was taken to the police department. Her marriage had been crumbling, and she and her husband of six months Matthew Boynton, 20 . Ultimately, it came down to orthodontia Lesters retainer. He later tells investigators that he heard Tyler crying, and then, POP-POP!. Collectively, they examine the bullets' trajectory from the closet, into the bedroom wall and ceiling. He reads another text from his girlfriend, while driving 90 mph. Bring the little ones for a story every Saturday morning at 11 a.m. to hear Sam's favorite tales. An officer tries to console his grieving coworker. December 20022 so heartless to show this right before Xmas. It's the second infidelity in their relationshipJessica admitted to cheating on him before they were married. He said that she was so distraught that she was doubled over, and he said that she stood, closed the door in his face and then at that point he went ahead and left.". The quiet is broken when the baby begins to mumble from the other room. "I was scared to death that she would shoot me and then kill herself," Matthew tells investigators. Jessica Boynton's husband says he gets a suicidal text from his estranged wife, so he rushes home, only to hear two gunshots. Jones passes by a framed portrait hung on the wall. Agent DeMarco approaches Meagan Browning, who's joined by Eric Kshywonis, at 61 Ashford Waythe apartment just downstairs from Jessica and Matthew. The agent had that phone, I think DeMarco, Chris DeMarco had the phone and they was [sic] trying to get in the gate, and, uh, he accidentally hit, I guess, the last number dialed, called or whatever. She rebukes the text message that came from her phone to Matthew's that night and said she didn't have a lock on her phone, so anyone could've sent it. I'll be back there in about two minutes. Jones shouts as he travels deeper insidehis weapon drawn. The panicked cop grabs his police radio and runs outside to make the frantic call to dispatch. 11Alive reached out to the GBI and Officer Matthew Boynton, however, neither returned our phone calls. Matthew's attorney, however, told the court that Jessica was the one who shot the gun and that initially, Matthew believed that she was shooting at him. As part of that case, Lt. Karen Yancy, who leads the GPD Criminal Investigation Division, spoke with Boynton and on Jan. 5, reported, On Dec. 19, 2016, I spoke with Matthew Boynton about these items. Jessica Lester-Boyntons property has already previously been returned to her by my step dad (Charles McDaniel Jr.) shortly after Jessica got out of the hospital. But Jessica's trauma surgeon, a 30-year veteran in the field, had a few thoughts of his own about what could have happened and what likely did not happen that night. Matthew Boynton allegedly deprived ex-wife Jessica Lester of her belongings and lied to the authorities about doing so, Griffin police Lt. Michael Natale said in a statement. Jessica's alive, but barely. When facts are wrong, evidence altered to fit theories and threats made, how does theGBI remain the last word on the Jessica Boynton case? The one seen in the police body-cam is not the same gray sweatshirt he was wearing at Walmart earlier that night. According to a press release issued by the Griffin Police Department, Boynton was on Friday arrested without incident and transported to the Spalding County Jail. "I didn't know if I was dealing with a possible active scenario where she still had the gun, and she had shot Tyler, and then I could have been the next target," Matthew says in the interview. Jessica was a blushing bride, excited to spend the rest of her life with the man she loved. It's a question 11Alive investigators asked a few months ago, when Griffin Police Officer Matthew Boynton's wife, Jessica, allegedly shot herself in the head with his service weapon,. How does Jessica explain the "suicide text" sent from her phone less than 10 minutes before her husband Matthew called 911 in a panic? "Being in the closet," said Jessica. She says under the helm of Wendell Beam, the sheriff's department had a reputation for protecting its own. And they said yes. He tells Trammel he left Walmart without Jessica. "I believe it's both, it's sloppy and a cover-up," said Jessica. We asked retired homicide detective Tim Miley to review Jessica's entire case file and every crime scene photo. ', Do you know how it was that you got shot?, Have you ever had any type of thoughts about hurting yourself?. "Really somebody just needs to look at it, somebody of great knowledge of things like this, and then let them tell me what they think," said Jessica Boynton. "I don't want to put all the blame on him but he's the only person that could have done it," said Jessica Boynton. Griffin Police Capt. The next action noted in the case occurred nearly two months later. The subsequent investigation was short-lived, with it having been deemed a civil matter. However, with the later discovery of previously-unknown evidence, it evolved into an Internal Affairs investigation resulting in two felony charges against the former law enforcement officer. The ambulance pulls away with Jessica in critical condition, to the fire station located on Carver Road, where the medical helicopter picks her up and takes her to an Atlanta hospital. She told me she loved me right before she did it," Matthew says, sobbing, as the paramedics roll her gurney into the ambulance and slam the doors shut. However, this does not surprise me how they covered this up and they wonder why good citizens dont come forward when a crime takes place.HUMMMMM, https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/10/07/what-if-your-abusive-husband-is-a-cop. But here's the thing that has everyone shaking their heads: In the bureau's final report, dated months after Jessica was released from the hospital, they still declare Jessica dead. She's like 'I got you where I want you and you're gonna go down for this,' and he pulls his gun out and she runs into the closet to hide, and instead of shooting her, he hits her on the head with a baton," said the neighbor. If not, get on a plane and go HOME.". Why did no one ask about the comment Matthew made about the kids being in the closet too? I thought he hadnt gone inside the apartment until backup arrived, so how would he know Jessica was in the closet unless he put her there? In any case GPD/GBI are an absolute embarrassment to the state of GA! Still peering down at his phone, Matthew also sends a text to his girlfriend, a Spalding County dispatcher. Then, a moment of hope from the 19-year-old mother: She's still breathing. He checks the closet where he keeps his police-issued firearm, but the door is locked. The GBI needs an overhaulclean house. While Trammel's body cam is out of juice tonight, Jones's bodycam spots Trammel as the other officers enter the apartment. Jessica believes her suicide attempt was staged. I love you and the boys.". A lot of times its two or three or more days, Yates said. Two-year-old Tollin is sleeping soundly in his bed as cops try not to wake him in the chaos. She told me to take care of the boys, so I'm trying to hurry up and get back home just to make sure nothing is going to happen to them. I was looking for a job and I finally found one. A request is made to notify the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. With his gun raised and arms poised, he holds his weapon out in front of him with both hands. The shooting occurred on the evening of April 14, 2016. Cops do find one bullet. But according to Mathews, that was not the last number dialed, so it could not have just been a redial accidently called through the evidence bag. Im not sure about that. If the phone was found by the GBI in the kitchenif the phone is on police body camera footage sitting on the counter by the microwave, and he was outside never returning insidehow is it possible for Matthew to text his girlfriend, while he's calling in shots fired while outside of the apartment? Griffin Police officer Matthew Boynton was arrested and taken to the Spalding County Jail on multiple charges. He grabs his police radio, stationed on top of the white microwave in the kitchen charging, and puts his phone on the counter. Cops finally reach that locked closet door. He was there to tell the court that he wanted to keep Jessica away from him and their two sons, because he said, he feared for their safetybecause she allegedly fired his gun in the house while their boys were home. She rebukes the text message that was sent from her phone to Matthews that night and said she didnt have a lock on her phone, so anyone couldve sent it. Her limp body is on the floor, just behind the door. nd police notify Jessica's family that she has died. The dispatch operator notified Matthew on Facebook, Browning says. Chris DeMarco, GBIs assistant special agent in charge, arrives on the scene and meets with Griffin Police Chief Michael Yates for a briefing. I had a friend who was a girl, or is a girl, he answers, further admitting that the relationship had become sexual. The doctor said the second most striking observation while assessing Jessica was that neither of her hands had any evidence of gunpowder. I'm prior military so to me it sounded like a gunshot, he tells DeMarco. However, the GBIs own photographs, search warrant and evidence log all corroborate that the officers phone was on the kitchen counter after Matthew had already left the apartment. Minutes later, just as Matthew pulls into the Waffle House parking lot, he says he receives a chilling message from Jessica, what he calls a "suicide text," that says: "I can't do this anymore. They're forced to kick it in. Her condition.. Nearly four years later, questions persist about what happened to the young. His phone is pretty active tonight. She also stated that she just wanted her things back, so I informed her that I would do a report on the incident.. Jones removes the gun, which has a tactical flashlight attached to the bottom of its barrel, and places it on the kitchen counter and heads outside. Minutes later, at around 10:45 p.m., Jessica storms out. Having previously learned of the new evidence that was turned in to the Griffin Police Department May 11 and the Internal Affairs investigation that resulted, The GRIP on July 7 submitted an Open Records request for information in the case. "I can't do this anymore," the message read. "I think it was in the heat of the moment, he was angry with me. Based on that acknowledgement, The GRIP asked if it would not alleviate legal concerns pertaining to the chain of custody, and furthermore, why Boynton was not also charged with theft. You want to start recording me, and started quoting me, you'd better let me know ahead of time, or we're gonna have a problem. I mean he might have grabbed my arm before, but I don't think he would intentionally do anything to hurt mebut like I said, he's changed so much here, lately, she said. He hears a baby crying as he carefully steps into the bedroom where a dark brown crib is situated. Listen. Somewhere in proximity to his arrest. Since the original publication of this story, 11Alive's Brendan Keefe and Jessica Noll have taken another look at the evidence in this story, and talk to one reporter who said she was threatened when she had questions about the investigation. Boynton in January denied being in possession of any of Lesters personal property. "I know what happened," said the unidentified neighbor. "I said 'It's Jessica isn't it?' She's breathing, but unresponsive. That piece of evidence was a photo showing Matthew's cell phone next to the microwave inside the apartment. Theres a lot of speculation and a lot of theory, but evidence is not there to cause me to do that., When told The GRIP had received information that the Griffin Police Department had contact the GBI Friday morning prior to Boyntons arrest, and asked the basis of that call, Yates said, That would be just to let them know what were doing.. Hewrote a letter to Jessicas attorneyon June 10, in which he questioned the finding that Jessicas head injury was a self-inflicted gunshot wound, indicating that there was no investigation conducted by authorities at the hospital. No. nd police notify Jessicas family that she has died. In it, she logs Matthew Boynton's every move, including his unexplained disappearances with their two boys. Hike also includes a rare chance to tour inside the old powerhouse which provides great photo opportunities of the Towaliga River. On May 11, Will Sanders met withYancy and Sgt. But where's the second round? Credit: GBI/Griffin Police Dept. Griffin Police Department Officer Matthew Boynton has been arrested and charged with two felonies. Matthew Boynton, 20, discovered his wife Jessica, 19, lying in a pool of blood in a closet. Officer Matthew Boynton has never been charged with anything in connection with this case, but the Georgia Bureau of Investigation did question him. The neighbor says Jessica started documenting all the sordid details of the affair in her secret red "divorce diary." Inside their apartment Matthew Boynton hears crying. With the suicidal text message and Jessica's DNA found on her husband's gun, less than a month after her hospital bed interview, Matthew was verbally cleared by the GBI, according to the chief, and as of June 6, Matthew returned to full duty with a new service weapon on his hip. RE-open the case Georgia!!!!!! A Griffin police officer who was investigated in his ex-wife's shooting was charged Friday, July 28, 2017, with making false statements and violating oath after officials say he took her belongings, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Inside the closet they also discover Jessica's red "divorce diary." There was a question of what was and was not community marital property, so that took some doing to sort that out, also, Yates said, adding that many of the items reported as stolen including the clothing, computer and household items had been cited as community property during the couples divorce. "He believes that her injuries were consistent with blunt-force trauma," said Sheila Mathews. He hears a baby crying as he carefully steps into the bedroom where a dark brown crib is situated. In partnership with When he's not driving a truck, Sanders studies police records looking for things investigators missed -- or possibly covered up. What are my kids going to do? he pleaded, his voice cracking with emotion. He calls out for Jessica, but no answer. WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE FBI???????? And Jessicas trauma surgeon was not interviewed by the GBI until July 20. Yates said, Yes, but that doesnt overcome the civil side of it whether it was or was not marital property, and even if it was, it would have been a misdemeanor as opposed to the two felonies.. Matthew says that he told Jessica, I'm not happy anymore and I can't. "According to my interview with Griffin police chief, that second shot had to have been fired while the gun was either on the floor or almost on the floor very close to that wall.". The chain of custody on that stuff is messed up. That's the last thing the 19-year-old remembers. That phone never got back into the officer's hand. GRIFFIN, Georgia, April 15, 2016: Police are breathlessly racing to save a life. Running across the parking lot and up the stairs, responding officers, Keys, Jones and Gresham head toward the apartment. "Happy," said the neighbor. Matthew claims they returned home just after 11 p.m. His proof? BREAKING | Matthew Boynton, who was under investigation and cleared by the GBI last year for his wife's shooting, was charged with one felony count of false statements and writings, and one felony count of violation of oath of office. I didn't know if I was dealing with a possible active active scenario where she still had the gun and she had shot Tyler, he replies. This activity on his cell phone had to have taken place inside the kitchen inside his apartment," Mathews said to DeMarco in a recorded phone conversation. Despite Jessica Boynton's fiery allegations, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation closed her case, clearing Matthew to return to work. "I'm guessing Matthew," said Jessica. The agent then probes Matthew, asking if he has a girlfriend. Her head wound has soaked into the green and white pillow her head is resting onher blood is contained to that one stain and a few nearby drops. Matthew makes it home, jumps out of his truck, races through the breezeway of his apartment building and bolts up the stairs. If I could have been there 10 minutes earlier I could have jumped in front of the gun and try to get it from her man., Where did she shoot herself at? Womens clothing items and an orthodontic retainer turned in to the Griffin Police Department by Will Sanders has been established to have belonged to Jessica Lester, the former wife of Matthew Boynton. When asked if Boynton had explained why he allegedly kept his ex-wifes belongings, Yates said, No. "The stuff that he was texting her was, you know, 'LOL's," said Sanders. Lester recovered from the shooting but doesn't remember any of it. Jessica Boynton was initially . BROTHERHOOD does not mean coverup or being above the law. They were calling me the miracle child Because what I went through, not a lot of people survive through it, she told 11Alive's Brendan Keefe, nearly six months after the incidenther golden blonde hair now growing back. GBI begins interviewing neighbors and Matthew interviews with the GBI later that morning. Updated: 11:14 PM EDT July 28, 2017. "When the GBI concluded their case they gave it back to Jessica, and I got it from Jessica," Sanders said. Just days after running into Officer Boynton, I received a threatening email that reads in part: "Are You An Intelligent Enough Investigative Journalist To Know When You Are Being Conned or Do You Have To Be Spoon Fed? John Hayesto turn in many articles of womens clothing and other personal property including an orthodontic retainer. corrupted cops, he and his grandfather! The officer says he left it in the kitchen and ran outside. She says there were pages missing. Mass shooters. Her husband is cheating on her with another woman, reveals Browning, who said, they called dispatch a few nights earlier because he took the kids. Jessica Boynton's head is perfectly positioned on a blood-soaked pillow. If his wife, Matthew's attorney continued, was capable of attempting to take her own life, there's a chance that she might do something to their children. This couldn't happen man. A Griffin Police Officer's wife herself, the reporter called DeMarco, on Sept. 28, the investigator who was in charge of the investigation for the GBI, to question him about the case and the photo that nagged her, and that for her, called into question how anything they investigated was trustworthy. "The second shot that was fired, it entered the back wall of the closet approximately a foot, no more than a foot off the ground. Earlier that night Jessica's husband Matthew headed to Waffle House for a late-night bite with a fellow officer, leaving his service. He grabs his police radio from the kitchen counter and runs outside and makes a desperate call. Matthew makes it back to the apartment before help arrives and hears baby Tyler crying -- and then heartbreak. But what about that 911 call Matthew made just minutes before the shooting, claiming he got a text from Jessica saying she was going to kill herself? (whit his baton I would guess) ..is every person in the police department total idiots? The shooting occurred on the evening of April 14, 2016. His phone was left inside their apt, yet he says he never entered it.. so many lies the grandfather called Jessicas family and informed them she was DEAD! A lot, she said, doesnt add up, especially since, she said, she had reason to live. Crime Watch Daily investigates what really happened to Jessica Boynton, something even Jessica herself wants to know. She loved me. "They did not. She also says she couldn't have written the text because it said "I love you.". "I saw a lot of things change after time. A tactical sweep finds an 8-month-old baby screaming. HERE IS THE NEWS STORY OF THE SHOOTING.. https://www.11alive.com/article/news/investigations/trigger-over-and-out/85-8ab82530-da07-492b-9a3c-c20d5e7f50b3.

Paul Spector Florida, Vasantiben Hasmukhlal Modi Son, Articles D

did matthew boynton shoot his wife