fun facts about whitehorse

You can expect a history of the wooly mammoths, giant beavers, caribou and muskox of the area, tracked back through the bones and fossils found in the Yukon area. It's 1,500 miles by road from Van City, and a 28-hour drive. The best time is usually around midnight between late August and April. Think cold-calling is effective? I hear over and over again from locals that it has great community spirit and theres so much to do. Id been given a list of things to do in Whitehorse to choose from, and thought, why not choose something a bit different? 6. (5) We went up to the stunning Miles Canyon, once a treacherous stretch of water which foiled many a prospectors dream of reaching Dawson City back in the Gold Rush. Yukon is derived from the Yup'ik word "yuh", which means "great river". About Us Some 80 per cent of visitation to Yukon happens in summer. Turns out Whitehorse is the biggest city in the Yukon, home to over 27,000 people ( of the population of the Yukon). And as the mayor of Whitehorse said on TV last night, it doesnt get as cold as it used to. @Kat Youre right Kat my info was wrong. Id love to be a spectator at the Yukon Quest one year. It measures 1,980 miles (3,190 km) from the headwaters of the McNeil River (a tributary of the Nisutlin River). ThoughtCo, Aug. 25, 2020, thoughtco.com/whitehorse-capital-of-yukon-511299. I caught the aurora in all its glory. READ THIS: Unique Places to Stay in Whitehorse. Its currently being built out by the fish ladder. I was peeing all night after all the water Id drank in there. But Its Still Awesome Facts. 8. All children in Canada should have a right to be taught in their own language. notes, Yukon is situated in the northwest corner of Canadas continental mainland. The Mother's Day Fun Facts offers interesting data related to the holiday. Its actually closer to Anchorage in Alaska, a mere 700 miles away and 13.5 hour drive west. 5.. Also notable is the cheekily named Burnt Toast Caf, excellent for morning and midday meals. The river is the dominant natural feature of the area. (23) I was desperate to go to Rib and Salmon in Whitehorse and tried both nights I was there. The trip to the hot springs from downtown Whitehorse or the Whitehorse international airport takes about 25 minutes. And a visit is illuminating in other ways when one starts chatting with staffers. fun facts about whitehorse Follow us. And, flowing through the middle, is the wonderfully hued Yukon River. (27) Make sure to check out the Whitehorse Farmers Market while youre there too. You can also book cheap holidays and your car hire with them too. You dont know what you have missed out!! Hope to see you come up again. Ive probably done more in the Yukon than most people ever will. Many of the shops in town had staff wanted signs outside. Mar 20, 2019 - Here are 26 fun, interesting & useful facts about the city of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, the largest northern city in Canada. has three principal census agglomerations: Carcross, Faro and South Klondike. Today, Whitehorse has a population of just over 26,000 people. (29) Just up from the Cultural Centre youll find the hand-carved healing totem pole, topped with its striking Raven. In Whitehorse only 8.4 % of the population is over 65, less than the national average. Its incredible to see just how big they are. Im convinced the relaxed way of life and vibe up here lets the mind be free to concentrate on the craft. It was also really busy here. .ld_social_icons_64032837e97cf a{width: !important;height: !important;}.ld_social_icons_64032837e97cf li a{color:!important;border-color:!important;background-color:!important;}.ld_social_icons_64032837e97cf li a:hover{border-color:!important;color:!important;background-color:!important;}.ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 > ul > li > a{color:rgb(255, 255, 255);}.ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 > ul > li:not(:last-child){margin-bottom:6px;}.lqd-stickybar > .lqd-head-col > .header-module > .ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 li{margin-inline-start:6px;}.ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 > ul > li > a:hover, .ld_custom_menu_6403283802713 li.is-active > a{color:rgb(36, 154, 145);} why bother writing about something you know nothing about hikebiketravel girl, maybe stay a few years and get to know the place! That is an increase from 2011, when 24,930 people were living there. Whitehorse is referred to as The Wilderness City. Take a look below for 30 interesting and fun facts about Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. In short: it was brilliant! If you want to know more, then the best place to start would be the impressive Kwanlin Dn Cultural Centre. @Brian How close are they? Facts About Charlottetown. Too many outsiders moving here and bringing their big city ideas here creating exactly what they left behind. thanks this really helped me with my social studies project. Its like a tram, or a heritage street car they call it, and travels the route of the prospectors of the Klondike Gold Rush. The city was named after the White Horse Rapids; before the river was dammed the rapids looked like the mane of a white horse. Get useful up-to-date news on Yukon events and activities, customized to your interests. (9, 1o, 11) Get up in the mountains and there are miles of biking trails. It brings instant culture while offering respite from the elements. I got it for free. Whitehorse is on the Peel River, which has a history of, 1. The food market is set in the heart of Whitehorse. Must be a change up there then, from the big city! There must be a public archives with someone who could help get you started on the search. Our guide, lifelong Yukoner Teena Dickson of, , recalled visiting the long-standing and. I could go on. Whitehorse Fun Facts. Whitehorse is on the Teslin River, a tributary of the Yukon River in Southern Yukon. It showcases hand-crafted jewelry and accessories, an upscale cheese boutique, and a yarn store, among others. Start typing to see results or hit ESC to close, Yates Mountain Hike via Prairie View Trail, A Guide to 3 Perfect Days in the South Okanagan, Cottage Grove Covered Bridges Bike Tour, Oregon, Camping for Beginners What You Need to Know, What is ETIAS? Schools are well-equipped with sporting facilities and offer a variety of skilled trades programs that support a thriving small business community. Come in July, like me, and youll be treated to the Midnight Sun 23 hours of daylight permeating your window blinds. At the City of Whitehorse, we are committed to providing you with convenient access to information and services. Two were dumped Castries, St. Lucia and Echuca, Australia because it no longer exists. 3. The Whitehorse Star is the daily newspaper based out of Whitehorse. Pretty nice to soak, especially in the winter. Whitehorses average high temperature in July is 21C (70F), and it has an average low temperature of -19C (-2.6F). Whitehorse has a dry subarctic climate. The long summer days and long winter nights in the Arctic are due to the tilt of the earth. They organised and planned my trip in return for my thoughts on my blog. <3. It helps migrating Chinook salmon on the final leg of their epic journey. Mainly, the famous Klondike Gold Rush that spawned the affluence of the area, and in fact bought people to the north, then caused some of them to leave as soon as the rush was over. Get off your high horse. On the summer solstice the sun rises at 4:27 AM and sets at 23:36 AM. For information on the other capital cities in Canada, see Capital Cities of Canada. For mains I had a chicken quesadilla, which Id already ordered spicy before I had the chance to take my own advice. She showed me the new university here, where students come for the destination as much as the university. I like to think of myself as both, and so got stuck in to the Whitehorse activities ASAP with my two days in the city. They have over 70 currencies and you can get free delivery to your home, or to collect in over 11,500 branches with 0% commission. A visit there offers way more diversity than a beach holiday, in manageable Canadian dollars. Its actually a problem that there are too many jobs and not enough people. The world's oldest horse, Old Billy, lived to the grand old age of 62. Whitehorse became the capital of Yukon after replacing Dawson City, the former capital, on April . 379-399 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading Victoria 3131, Australia. Still a nice place though. The construction caused the Yukon powers to move the capital from Dawson City to Whitehorse in 1953. TheCity of Whitehorsehas three principal census agglomerations: Carcross, Faro and South Klondike. The Frantic Follies, our beautiful Arts Centre, fantastic archives, a dream to live here if you are a senior citizen, the Yukon River Quest, our Waterfront Trolley and Copperbelt Museum, The Transportation Museum, Beringia Centre. (25) The Wayfarer is a kinda upmarket, fancy place to eat in Whitehorse. 11. Follow-Up as quickly as possible 3. Located on the Yukon River, it is a transportation and distribution centre for the territory and the seat of government. Many screenings at ALFF were not packed, meaning last-minute decisions on movies were doable, rarely the case at those big-city festivals. Whitehorse municipal elections are held every three years. One of the main urban centres in New Brunswick, the city had a population of 58,220 in the 2016 Canadian Census. You can learn all about the Ice Age that formed it at the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre. Every Thursday local food trucks come to Whitehorse to help you fill up on tasty produce. Out of the $22 billion in loans on its balance sheet, only $8 billion are insured against default. Whitehorses strong coffee and craft beer culture the city boasts five breweries! The city is frequently referred to as the "birthplace of Canada.". Yep. Maybe rip out the pages and sleep with them on a pillow next to you-whatever helps plan the trip of your dreams. Great list of facts and fun items related to Whitehorse. Ashes become art that is treasured by the family, explains Hilary, who adds that Lumel personnel can also create custom glass-blown urns, like a John Deere tractor created for a departed farmer. Just not as feasible). Its one of the top rated Yukon restaurants on TripAdvisor though, so I wanted to include it here. @Donna I was in the city for a few days in March 2016 and thought it to be quite delightful.Thanks for taking the time to comment. Covering 1,000 miles (1,600 km) between Whitehorse, Yukon and Fairbanks, Alaska during the depths of winter, the Yukon Quest is known for excellence in canine care and fostering the traditions of northern travel by dog sled, its site notes. Vegetarians will find plant-based options available though vegans may need to strategize in this meat-forward locale. (2) I walked back to Alligators Gourmet for a grilled cheese sandwich. The rails were three feet apart on a 10-foot-wide road bed and meant lower construction costs. Munroe, Susan. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Whitehorse started getting called the Big Horse in 1907. @Jacine I am glad you have added your two cents worth. Which is a surprisingly exciting place to be. Whitehorse sits on the traditional territory of the Kwanlin Dun First Nation and the Taan Kwachan Council. If these articles are up your alley, know that we're already on the hunt for fun facts about Kingston, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, London and other Ontario cities and towns! 7. At brunch one afternoon, a Smoked Salmon Benny with spinach and house-made hollandaise along with a Mimosa was delicious, as was the Maple Banger and Eggs featuring locally made maple-infused Bratwurst sausage served with two eggs. All with different cultures who, by law, must be consulted for any proposed changes in the city. I have read and agree to the terms & conditions, Copyright 2023 VickyFlipFlopTravels | Bamboo on Trellis Framework by Mediavine, (26) Welcome to my humble habereno, so said the sign above the door. Rib AND salmon. Many screenings at ALFF were not packed, meaning last-minute decisions on movies were doable, rarely the case at those big-city festivals. Appreciate the insight into Whitehorse. 10. Three mountains also surround Whitehorse: Grey Mountain on the east, Haeckel Hill on the northwest and Golden Horn Mountain on the south. The capital of Yukon and largest city in northern Canada (population around 32,000) may be notoriously cold and dark in winter, and endlessly day-lit in summer. Whitehorse is known as one of the best places in the world to watch the Northern Lights, but thats for winter visitors. Yukon River, major North American river that flows through the central Yukon territory of northwestern Canada and the central region of the U.S. state of Alaska. (19) In Whitehorse you can actually WALK from the airport to town. Some of the sights wortha visit in Whitehorse include the Yukon Transportation Museum, the Yukon Wildlife Preserve, Black Mikes Gold Mine and the SS Klondike II National Historic Site. Whitehorse is a 2.5 hour flight from Vancouver. Many movie stars, corporate executives and wealthy people live here in stunning homes along the waterfront. Whitehorse is the Yukons capital city but youre only ever 15 minutes from the wilderness here. Multiple marquee international films that played TIFF in September 2022 and went on to gather Oscar nominations Living, The Whale, All the Beauty and Bloodshed, Aftersun also screened at this years ALFF alongside a clutch of acclaimed Canadian features and documentaries, many featuring First Nations talent in front of and behind the camera. French is the main language spoken in the province, and also in Quebec City. 10 Things to know before moving to Canada, The Top 3 Nakusp Hot Springs in British Columbia. These are the companies I turn to when I want to book my travel. I did as much as I could, until I couldnt shake the street food van Id seen at the beginning from my thoughts any longer. Cheers! It also gives the opportunity for us humans to tag them so we can monitor that theyre doing ok. Whitehorses fish ladder was built in 1959 and in its position the fish have already travelled about 4000km, with just 50 left to go. Since first hearing about the Yukon a few years ago, I knew I wanted to visit someday, but the details, names and places needed to be ironed out. There's a Canada Games Centre, which 3000 people attend every day. 2. But robust inhabitants, including proud eccentrics known colloquially as the colourful five per cent, arent about to let a challenging environment stand in the way of a good time. There are 4 distinct seasons, though, with temperatures ranging from 33C in summer (average is 25C) to -25C (average is -10C). We are the sunniest city in Eastern Canada. Present-day Whitehorse was founded in 1898 when gold was found nearby.

Oster Ogg61101 Turn Off Beep, Articles F

fun facts about whitehorse