how much did michael keaton make for beetlejuice

The movies upbeat ending and other crucial aspects are key as to why Beetlejuice may just be the most delightfully strange and unusual movie ever made in which death is a major theme. In The New Yorker, critic Pauline Kael compared the. The Oscar-nominated actor, who turned 70 on. "Beetlejuice 2" a sequel to the 1988 Tim Burton horror-comedy hit always seems to be on the tips of everyone's tongues when they interview Michael Keaton (who played the "ghost with the . Tim Burton: 10 Behind The Scenes Facts About Beetlejuice, The 10 Most Memorable Tim Burton Characters, Ranked, a lot of the visual effects had to be done in-camera, Tim Burton's 10 Best Movies, According To Rotten Tomatoes, Wait 'Til They Get A Load Of Me: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About Tim Burton's Batman Movies. It. Keaton spent two weeks filming his part. Before OHara was cast, the producers considered Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, Laura Dern, and Goldie Hawn for the role. Keaton spent just two weeks shooting all of his scenes and has since called it the favorite role he's ever played. Keaton was actually born Michael Douglas, but when it came to joining the actors' union he realised that name was already taken. Then the duo went their separate ways for decades. Keatons crazy eyebrows are put to good use as the on-the-edge mentor, but it is a somewhat baffling choice for him: the movie is undeniably generic for an actor who has always eschewed straightforward genre. Ryder was only 17 years old when she filmed Beetlejuice. Michael Keaton improvised many of his lines throughout the film. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. And in 1992 he got a big raise, receiving $10 million for reprising his role, equating to some $20 million in today's terms. Michael Keaton made an icon out of the title character with less than 20 minutes of screen time. For instance, while appearing on NBCs Late Night in 1999 to promote Sleepy Hollow, the director said the producers reacted like a deer caught in the headlights when he recommended legendary Rat Pack member Sammie Davis Jr. for Betelgeuse - an idea host Conan OBrien was actually amused by. He was paid $5 million for his titular role as Batman. He was just a really social little guy, so thoughtful and sensitive and practical, and always hanging out with friends, whereas I wanted to be on my own playing in the woods, he says, his voice softening. NY 10036. recalled to Charlie Rose during a 2014 interview, doubts his neurotic 30-year-old self had, originally ended with Lydia perishing in a fire, James Cameron Discusses The Connection Between Avatar And The Abyss, Viral TikTok Of Chris Pine Admitting His Publicist Roasted Him For Looking Like 'Rachel From Friends' Is Pretty Great, 5 Oscar Nominated Movies To Make Sure You Watch Before The 2023 Ceremony, Best 'Creed' In The Trilogy? Not so much, he says. There was a problem. Hadley, huh? Apparently, this was at the behest of the studio execs, who felt the audience wouldn't know the snake was actually Betelgeuse and not some other random monster. When Tim Burton first signed on to helm Beetlejuice, his top choice for the title role was Sammy Davis, Jr., of whom hed been a huge fan since childhood. Over 100 episodes were produced. There was a scene at the table. I said, I wish I could do it. In 2010, 58-year-old Glenn Shadix, who played Otho in the movie, fell in his kitchen and died of blunt trauma to his head. Was he also just sick of the bat-suit by then? The movie would've followed the Deetz family as they moved to Hawaii and then discovered their company was built on ancient burial grounds. All the other actors including Michael Keaton, Catherine OHara, Winona Ryder, and Sylvia Sidney turned down the script when they first read it. In the film Beetlejuice, Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin make the title character appear by saying his name three times but makeup artist Ve Neill had to do it the hard way. looking very much like components of a giant watch -- spin along behind him. Look, its not like I dont think about the business I am cognisant of that side of things but if you overthink the money part, you tend to mess it up. After becoming known for his hyper-comedic performances in the early 80s, Keaton switched to dramatic roles first as a recovering drug addict in Clean And Sober (a flop) and then as Batman (one of the biggest box office hits of its day). After Batman, Keaton took a series of notably unstarry roles a tenant from hell opposite Melanie Griffith and Matthew Modine in Pacific Heights, a hammy Dogberry in Kenneth Branaghs Much Ado About Nothing. However, the screenwriter claims the script originally ended with Lydia perishing in a fire to spend the afterlife with Barbara and Adam, until others convinced them that such an ending might send the wrong message to younger audiences. ORWAVs Top 20 Films of 2021: #8 First Cow, Why First Cow Was The Biggest Oscar Snub This Year, Bloodless Spectacle and Everyday Sexism in Silence of the Lambs, Best Films Never Made #40: George A. Romero's The Mummy, Best Films Never Made #43: The Beatles and Joe Ortons Up Against It, Best Films Never Made #42: George A. Romeros The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Best Films Never Made #41: J. J. Abrams and Ron Howards The Dark Tower, Best Films Never Made #39: Joss Whedons Wonder Woman, Best Films Never Made #38: Ridley Scotts Nottingham, Best Films Never Made #37: Neill Blomkamps Alien 5, Pandemic Panic: The Best Horror Films to Distract You Right Now, Official Competition Venice 2021 Review, People Just Do Nothing: Big in Japan Review. I wished Id had more, but then Sean told me he liked being an only child, he smiles. A change., I dont get the impression its a change hell necessarily repeat. I had friends at school, but I wasnt really social. There were several scenes written that never made it into the final film, including one that showed the world of limbo between the living and the dead as giant gears (and hands of clocks) cut through actual fabrics that represented time: Here's the scene from one of the original scripts: -- The size of a man -- rolls by, tearing up the unseamed ground. Back in 1988, Tim Burton unleashed Beetlejuice on the world. However, that all changed when he was sent the script for Beetlejuice. Unfortunately, studio executives didnt like the idea of Sammy Davis, Jr. playing Betelgeuse and vetoed that decision. He plays an automobile executive, Jack Butler, who loses his job in the 1980s and . It was producer David Geffen who actually suggested Michael Keaton to the director, and it stuck. Photograph: Fox/Kobal/Rex/Shutterstock. It was both, he says. A passage from Tim Burton: A Childs Garden of Nightmares - a biography about the filmmaker penned by Paul A. Plus, Burton was a really huge fan of Davis and wanted to work with him. But when he was approached with the script, he wasn't sure about jumping on board. Im so proud to be your son. Maybe it'll still be set in Hawaii? The studio eventually brought on Jonathan Gems (who went on to write the "Mars Attacks!" The man truly is full of surprises. In fact, it's probably due to these contract issues that most movie stars are reluctant to sign long-term TV deals. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Beetlejuice DVD (1999) Michael Keaton- Burton (DIR) cert 15 at the best online prices at eBay! Keaton reels back in his chair, hands over his face. 14. "Michael Keaton is basically an ordinary guy, a regular human being," Burton, who reunited with his Beetlejuice star, said around Batman's release. Rupert Murdoch, Fox Corp. Sued For Sharing Bidens Presidential Ads Before They Aired, Mike Judge Explains Why Beavis and Butt-Head Wont Drop F-Bombs in New Series and Reveals Secret Message Put in Original Show, She-Hulk: Attorney at Law Head Writer Jessica Gao Is Finding the Funny in Marvel, Universal Studios Introduces The Weeknd Maze to Halloween Horror Nights, 'Beetlejuice' Producer on the Show's Broadway Closure and Fate of the Movie Musical, Ed Wood's 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' Getting Opera Adaptation (Exclusive), Tom Sizemore, Saving Private Ryan, Heat and Natural Born Killers Actor, Dies at 61, Diane Warren Performs Her 14 Oscar-Nominated Songs in Six Minutes (Exclusive Video), Awards Chatter Podcast Malala Yousafzai (Stranger at the Gate), Feinberg Forecast: Updated Projections As Final Oscar Voting Gets Underway, Ted Donaldson, Young Actor in Father Knows Best and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Dies at 89, Hollywood Flashback: Catherine Martin Struck Gold With Moulin Rogue!, Fede Alvarez's 'Alien' Movie Rounds Out Cast (Exclusive), Creed III Star Tessa Thompson on the Word She Refused to Say and the Future of the Franchise, 'Zombies' Star Milo Manheim Joins Eli Roth Horror Thriller 'Thanksgiving' (Exclusive), Marvel Launches 20th Century Studios Imprint with 'Planet of the Apes' Comic (Exclusive), The Definitive Voice of Entertainment News. Keaton's performance is pure id. Youre my hero, my best friend and I love you so much. Keaton, standing behind his son and moving excitedly from side to side, pinked with delight. Do you know any other interesting things about Beetlejuice? It took barely two weeks for him to film. Adam flings himself suddenly to the right, but trips into the path of the gear. Luckily, David Geffen, who was overseeing the development of the film at Warner Bros, suggested Keaton, who eventually won the role. This month, he plays a CIA special ops trainer, Stan Hurley, in the Bourne-esque American Assassin. February 24, 2022 . However, there have been talks that Burton will return for a Beetlejuice sequel, along with Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder. His walk is reminiscent of a roosters strut, with his chest puffed out and a bounce on his toes; that swagger we saw in 2014s Birdman, for which Keaton won a Golden Globe as the eponymous former superhero actor, was not a put on, it turns out. A Beetlejuice sequel has proven tougher to conjure up than Michael Keaton's rambunctious spirit. Academy Award nominee and Alec Baldwin has had a fantastic career, from his biting monologue in Glengarry Glen Ross to his twice Emmy-winning tenure in the 30 Rock cast, and, of course, his countless Saturday Night Live hosting gigs and hilarious random appearances. Also, instead of the climatic scene where Beetlejuce tries to marry Lydia (Winona Ryder), in the original script he tries to rape her. If you want to see Beetlejuice in the flesh, book a flight to Universal Studios, where Beetlejuice's Rock And Roll Graveyard Revue has been playing since 1992. Truth be told, Alley isn't the first or the last star to lose out on a role because of a TV show commitment. Huh? Ever since Beetlejuice became a box office success, the studio has been trying to get a sequel off the ground. The Hollywood Reporter is a part of Penske Media Corporation. Luckily, Beetlejuice would up winning that battle, but there was another person from the Beetlejuice cast who had his own concerns about the films potential. by . Michael Keaton Improvised A Lot Of His Dialogue Despite playing the title character, Michael Keaton only has 17 minutes of screen time in Beetlejuice. "When I did Night Shift, I improvised quite a bit because I would improvise at the audition so sometimes I would return to the original lines and then when I was on set I would improvise even more," he said. He rules, at least in his head. Naturally, Tim Burton and company needed to find someone else for the part and offered it to actress Catherine O'Hara but she initially declined Burton's offer. Young Artist Awards 1989 Michael Keaton is signed on to star in Tim Burton's Beetlejuice sequel . Tim Burton caught on to this plot hole, but he decided to allow it for the actors sake because they wouldve been uncomfortable if they had to be kept wet on dry land all the time. Burton must've enjoyed the experience because he cast the actor in his next project, 1989's Batman. Reportedly, actresses Molly Ringwald, Diane Lane, Sarah Jessica Parker, Brooke Shields, and Jennifer Connelly all turned down the role of Lydia Deetz in Beetlejuice (maybe they thought the script was too weird?). After Keaton joined up and additional footage was shot, it was decided to use a snake that looked more like Betelgeuse. Adam runs forward and stares after the wheel, which is now out of sight. While Beetlejuice is fondly remembered as a whimsical comedy, its original script leaned more towards the horror side of things. Back when it was a horror film, Wes Craven was the studios first choice to direct. Michael Keaton's net worth in 2022 is $40 million. Yeah, yeah. But despite the fact that the Maitlands died by drowning, they appear dry in the netherworld. That wouldn't have been the case if producers had stuck to the original screenplay. Was he deliberately trying to get out of the shadow of the bat signal, or did he just like the scripts? There was a run of comedies, including Harold Ramis Multiplicity, in which he played a man who clones himself, that were smart and funny, but never going to set the world on fire. Hes your best friend, and hes your worst nightmare. However, the March 2023 report has now been confirmed as a complete hoax, the actor best known for his roles in Birdman, Batman or Beetlejuice is alive and well. It's showtime! It's time to feed your thirst for Beetlejuice knowledge with behind-the-scenes secrets and all of the things that could have been. At the end of the day, Tim Burton decided to go with Winona Ryder after being wowed by her performance in 1986's Lucas. With Burton again, he played Batman as a conflicted nerd, rather than a grinning muscle man. For a description of the different acting role types we use to categorize acting perfomances, see our Glossary. What happened? From Beetlejuice to Batman to Birdman: the actor on superheroes, surprise roles and his second act. They kept shooting it, but the guys under there couldn't really see where their hand was going and they poked each other in the face. That would have been an experience.. NEXT:Wait 'Til They Get A Load Of Me: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Facts About Tim Burton's Batman Movies. It must have been particularly hard for them, facing so much scrutiny during Batman, but Keaton insists he wasnt aware of it or not until he happened to pick up the business section of a newspaper and saw a cartoon of his face in an article suggesting that he, personally, would damage Warner Bros stock. Yet, the movie might have had far less laughs if Warner Bros. settled on co-writer Michael McDowells original vision for a more straightforward scary movie in which, according to Consequence, the title character was a murderous, shape-shifting winged demon who takes human form as a small Middle Eastern man. Academy Awards, USA 1989 Winner Oscar: Best Makeup Ve Neill Steve LaPorte Robert Short: . And there was me getting bored, hearing the sound of my voice, seeing the same old tricks. Tim Burton's Beetlejuice is the film which put director & Michael Keaton on the map. It's now been well over three decades (35 years in March 2023, actually) since we've seen the black-and-white striped suit, green hair, and demonic clown face of everyone's favorite house haunter: Beetlejuice. When you see [the movie], you understand probably why it was hard for him to explain, Keaton said of the beloved horror-comedy about ghosts and the obnoxious poltergeist, Beetlejuice. For Keaton, he wasn't too keen on Beetlejuice when he received the script. As the rumor goes, Anjelica Huston was all but set to play Delia Deetz; however, she had to bow out of the production due to illness. Joel Schumachers two Batman movies were notoriously terrible, starring first Val Kilmer and then George Clooney. He dated Courteney Cox, and Michelle Pfeiffer, but never married again. He also tries to coerce Lydia (Winona Ryder) into marrying him. In his breakthrough movie, 1983s Mr Mom, Keaton played a stay-at-home father at a time when such a concept was almost unheard of, and he played him as a man who has no idea how to do any of the stereotypically masculine jobs around the house; when asked if hes rewiring the house with 220 volts, Keaton adlibbed, 220, 221, whatever it takes. The two are often each others dates to award ceremonies: Sean came to the Golden Globes when his dad won for Birdman, and Keaton tearfully thanked him, calling him his best friend. Most movies go through various rewrites and creative changes from what eventually becomes the final product and Beetlejuice was no different. Keaton's lead performance in Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014) earned him a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy and nominations for the Screen Actors Guild Award, British Academy Film Award, and Academy Award for Best Actor. For example, if our weekly retail survey estimates that a particular title sold 1% of all units that week, and the industry reports sales of 1,500,000 units in total, we will estimate 15,000 units were sold of that title. I didnt, he says, but he used to shout at me, Hey, the brotherhood! And Id go, Hey! But I had no idea what he meant. I was hailed as a genius. SERGIO PEREIRA is a speculative fiction author and journalist from Johannesburg, South Africa. Jun 29, 2022. is aquafresh toothpaste discontinued . 2023 The Hollywood Reporter, LLC. He came up with the title Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian to throw the studio executives off their desire to make a sequel, but surprisingly, they liked the concept and the Beetlejuice sequel has been in development under that title for decades. His real name is Michael Douglas. Beetlejuice was originally a more laid back, lounge singer-type character, so a former Rat Packer would've made sense. The screenplay for Beetlejuice was originally written as a straight horror film. the last song played at his memorial service. Were all here for a millisecond, so how bad can this be? he says, his drawn-out vowels (maaan, baaad) revealing his Pittsburgh origins. Keaton spent just two weeks shooting all of his scenes and has since called it the favorite role hes ever played. He has played a great movie like Batman in 1989, Batman Returns in 1992 as Bruce Wayne, Need for Speed in 2014, Spider-Man: Homecoming as Adrian Toomes. Thankfully, Burton saw the potential to make something else and pushed for all the changes. Jones has been arrested another two times, once in 2004 and again in 2010, for failing to update his offender status. theaters, 10.0 weeks average run per theater. Future US, Inc. Full 7th Floor, 130 West 42nd Street, Mom (DVD, 1983) Michael Keaton Teri Garr Comedy at the best online prices at eBay! Subscribe for full access to The Hollywood Reporter. Betelgeuse would be the hero and save the day by winning a surfing contest. They love it so much, in fact, that when they die just 10 minutes into the film in a sudden car accident, their main purpose becomes to successfully haunt the house and rid it of its uncaring, obnoxious new owners. But, yeah, I would have loved to have worked with him. Alec BaldwinbeetlejuicecomedyCultGeena DavisMichael KeatonTim Burton. This scene wasnt in the original script for the film; it was added in post-production to give Beetlejuice a snappy tag to leave audiences laughing on their way out of the theater. I had no idea what he was talking about, but I liked him, Keaton said in a 2014 interview of Burton. The actor gained enthusiasm for the character when he first arrived on the set in costume and the crew chanted, Juice! RELATED:Tim Burton's 10 Best Movies, According To Rotten Tomatoes. Keaton spent two weeks filming his part.

Nutrition Partner Kaiser Salary, Millie Ross Gardening Australia, Articles H

how much did michael keaton make for beetlejuice