kinfolks knife identification

is intended to be the most accurate history of the cutlery compiled to date. If using the mobile app, it's a lot trickier I think but then you just need to copy the link and put it into the cell when clicking the upload picture icon. The middle one is the other variant with oval shaped liked filler. FREE shipping. Unfortunately for Marbles, they were quickly underbid by Camillus Cutlery on future purchases. Be prepared to take clear pictures of the knife, but never send the knife to anyone to have it dated for you. I've talked to other collectors who are convinced that a few of the Case models are correct for WW2 with a chromed finish, but non of them were sure about the 322-5 being one of them, before now. Maybe it was the Woodcraft name that sold them. There are also extensive catalogs on the knife brand, making my work easier. The mystery of the Jean Case Cutlery Company is at last explained, and many family photographs and recipes are included. While none are stamped Marbles, the knife remains in wide use even today. KNIFE Magazine July 2021 issue Sneak Peek, Weekend Open Thread: Stupid is as Stupid Does Edition. The M3 was originally designated for issue to soldiers not otherwise equipped with a bayonet. If you dont have both the repro and original side by side, you might not be able to tell the difference sometimes. The CASE 322-5 are suppose to have plated finished blades. US MILITARIA FORUM - COLLECTORS PRESERVING HISTORY Re: Dating Kinfolks Knife. But that changed at the start of the war with the adoption of the legendary USMC Fighting/Utilitya knife that was basically a militarized version of a Marbles Ideal. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. In the years after the Civil War, hunting knives tended to follow one of three patternsheavy-duty folders, traditional Bowie knives, and small utilitarian butchering type blades. There are variations within each manufacturer. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Providing rare insight into Kinfolks and the families involved in its creation and development, Kinfolks Knives is intended to be the most accurate history of the cutlery compiled to date. A timeline of the family and related cutleries is included for quick reference, as well as answers to the most common questions about the company from www.KinfolksInc.com. When WWI and WWII came along, Adolph shifted the focus of the company to cater to U.S. soldiers and the Allied Forces. $49.99. That must not have been a very good marketing strategy as the cautions against hard use were soon dropped from their advertising. Gladstone, Mich USA with sheath. The mystery of the Jean Case Cutlery Company is at last explained, and many family photographs and recipes are included. Thanks! Part of the great thing about knives is the variety and variation. Steven Dick Your email address will not be published. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. Required fields are marked *. An area I have not as yet delved into. Maybe you want to buy a knife and you want to be sure its worth the price too? It maybe that some knives with the chrome plating were used to fill orders, but I just don't know. The crossguard consists of two equal length arms that extend to the left and right and are terminated with circular ends. Camillus was so successful a knife brand that other knifemakers contracted them to manufacture their blades. However it looks like your knife has a nickel silver guard which may indicate pre-Kinfolks made by Case. The knife featured here was manufactured by the Kinfolks company. Marbles pattern sheath knives ruled the market for decades, but the introduction of the Buck 110 lockback design in 1965 was a turning point. All of these make the recipe for a truly great knife that deserves our attention. The knife was obtained from his family and they stated to the best of their knowledge it had been stored with his memorabilia since he returned in 1946. He felt the proper grip when field dressing was to choke up on the handle with the base of the blade between your fingers. #1 Check the Tang Stamps This is usually where I first look at when dating knives. There is also no proof that Case made any fixed blades before 1923, and by 1926 and up to 1932-33 all their fixed blades were made by Kinfolks. Marbles halted most knife production in 1976, and the trademark was later sold to a company overseas. Way cool! Also, for the first time, the personal memories of multiple branches of this American cutlery dynasty are included, as well as a foreword by Brad Lockwood. As usual Dustin, a fine writeup on a field often overlooked by collectors. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Top is pre-war procured knife blade tang stamped Kinfolks INC. followed by the two war time procured knives illustrating the use of alternate materials first switching to a plastic guard with aluminum pommel then plastic guard and plastic pommel tang stamped Kinfolks USA. By 1876, after his uncles company had to close shop due to poor sales figures, Adolph charted out a new path for himself. Of course, the safety razor was soon to make the old cut-throats obsolete, and the Marbles fuller became more of a trademark than a design feature. My guesstimate would be about 1925 (IIRC the founding year for Kinfolks, but I could be wrong) up to WWII. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well. Starting in 1918, the English cutlery company, Wade and Butcher, began offering pretty much exact copies of Marbles Ideal pattern. Awarded many contracts during the period from 1939 to 1945, Kinfolks produced a significant number of knives in several different patterns which helped our men in the field and in the air with a quality tool when needed. We dont share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we dont sell your information to others. Blades: CLIP, SPEY AND SHEEPFOOT Length Closed: 4 1/4 MFG List: $102.70 Our Price: $69.99 Limited . thorin6, Customer Reviews, including Product Star Ratings help customers to learn more about the product and decide whether it is the right product for them.Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon, [{"displayPrice":"$24.06","priceAmount":24.06,"currencySymbol":"$","integerValue":"24","decimalSeparator":".","fractionalValue":"06","symbolPosition":"left","hasSpace":false,"showFractionalPartIfEmpty":true,"offerListingId":"%2BQyZ7lxqPrKytmlgbPMUyI1zR9P%2FwI2wzZMEcSH%2FSdjv%2FKwN3AnQ%2FmFqQCKgS1lHxRqZVXeMDodNS9MrsTriWgMqK%2FYEXCrMgipm8K5uGvOE%2BB7SyNmsDR6SFlK0hlLI7JOAj6S6f1KPtBiUbtNavoP6JXZ2C5krQ5lvV%2F3lIlS4sT7Lwzs8cA%3D%3D","locale":"en-US","buyingOptionType":"NEW"}]. Check out local knife forums where you have experienced knife collectors, enthusiasts, and users too. Kinfolks Knives offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. Its now rare to find a Marbles pattern hunter in any of the major cutlery lines. and do not appear to have been used! During WW2 I believe Kinfolks was in Little Valley in Western NY. KINFOLKS USA 1925- 40's RARE PERFECT BONE VINTAGE KNIFE $104.99 $5.55 shipping Vintage Kinfolks 330 And 333 double knife set with Sheath . Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. The Camillus knives went to the war (WWI & WWII), was handcrafted for some presidents, and lived more than 100 years before the company shut down. Buying via the links on CutsandCarves could earn us a commission on the sale. 4 bids. #3 Speak with Knife Collectors and Dealers. Except for books, Amazon will display a List Price if the product was purchased by customers on Amazon or offered by other retailers at or above the List Price in at least the past 90 days. Included are four vintage catalogs to aid collectors in the identification and dating of Kinfolks knives, as well as biographies of Kinfolks founders: Russ Case, Tint Champlin, and Dean Case. Knives made by top companies were featured in catalogs that were either internally maintained or sent out to dealers and collectors. The consensus is that the Kinfolks knife company was established around 1924 from when they made these really fine knives till the 1950s. During the time which they made knives, the company created a long line of hunting and fishing knives. There were six manufacturers: Kinfolks, Queen, Williams, Case, Ka-bar, and PAL. There were six manufacturers: Kinfolks, Queen, Williams, Case, Ka-bar, and PAL. Case knife Engraved, Kinfolk Jig Jade Bone Mini Trapper Pocket Knife Personalized, Groomsmen Knife, Fathers day Gift. After looking at the lead filler on the pommels of yours it is even tough to say that they could make those variations. Fortunately for us, Camillus changed their stamps enough to map each one to different periods. Thanks. And a final rant about the place we all love to hate. i>Kinfolks Knives" offers an accurate and factual history of Kinfolks Cutlery. (7,566) $89.99. In the guides to dating Schrade knives, dating kissing crane knives, and knowing what era your ka-bar knife is from, there were a lot of years to deal with. Besides Kinfolks knives, there are a series of other well-made knives that you may have and want to date. by JohnR Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:09 pm, Post Please try again. Full content visible, double tap to read brief content. I believe youre more interested in dating the vintage ones, though, so the other era guides on that list are best suited to your needs. by johnburrell Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:49 am, Post Today, its time to date the Cattaraugus knife to a specific era and see what beauty you have, Read More How to Date a Cattaraugus Knife (5 Methods Explained)Continue, I have written different guides on how to date different knives to a specific era but this one is different. ANTIQUE W BINGHAM CO KINFOLKS FISH FISHING KNIFE Fixed Blade Hunting. Alternately, you can look for Facebook groups or other social media gatherings where you can find such knife experts. . You can also check much larger forums such as BladeForums, AllAboutPocketKnives, or such other relevant picks. Although I don't seriously collect knives I do have a small collection of Camillus sheath knives. Enjoy! Do you think that the Government would have specifically requested the chrome plating, or that the manufactures supplied them from their existing stock to fill orders? If you have a Kinfolks knife of your own to date, you probably know that already too. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. KINFOLKS DOUBLE SET KNIFE BUTTERSCOTCH AMBER PLUS UNMARKED BIRD AND TROUT. Kinfolks WWIIvar option_df_159643 = {"outline":[],"forceFit":"true","autoEnableOutline":"false","autoEnableThumbnail":"false","overwritePDFOutline":"false","direction":"1","pageMode":"0","source":"https:\/\/www.knifemagazine.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/blogpost\/KM-July-2021-Kinfolk.pdf","wpOptions":"true"}; if(window.DFLIP && DFLIP.parseBooks){DFLIP.parseBooks();}, HistoryKinfolks Inc.Knife Magazine ArchivesKNIFE Magazine July 2021WWIIWWII Knives. A beautiful little village in a largely agricultural area. The only way to stay in the knife business and keep running a profit was to start making and selling them domestically. The blade has a 4 " false edge, and a pair of very narrow, 3 5/8" long fullers, near the spine on each side of the . dustin, In any case, Marbles Woodcraft and Ideals are still easy to find on eBay. Looking for a particular book or back issue? If you have a Kinfolks knife of, Read More How to Date A Kinfolks Knife to A Specific EraContinue, If you have spent some time here before, then we have dated some pretty amazing knives together. You can jump to the following sections if youre in a hurry, but I would advise that you dont skip this part. The Expert is a great all-around outdoor knife, but the handle on the Sports Knife is just too short. This isn't just a book for knife collectors. When Vietnam heated up, the Camillus Pilot Survival Knife became a standard-issue item for a wide range of units, including Ranger Companies. I posted the lower knife on another thread from Gary recently. Brain fart I suppose. Same for middle knife? The CASE sheath is not pictured as I do not know what it looks like so if anyone does please share. Around 1915, Marble made what some consider his greatest contribution to outdoor cutlery, the Woodcraft sheath knife. TreasuresbyMoStore. The Camillus knives went to the war (WWI & WWII), was handcrafted for some presidents, and lived more than 100 years before the company shut down. On my variant note the filler in the shape of a cross, on the other variant it is in the shape of an oval. CASE has one other variation only prevalent at end of the pommel. Still, Read More Knife Dating The sheath looks like the one you show from Camillus. $6.30 shipping. These RARE KINFOLKS Y330 & Y333 Fixed Blade Sabre Ground Hunter Knives w/Original Tooled Leather Sheath are in EXCELLENT overall vintage condition! After decades of feuding and parting ways to start yet another Case-related cutlery, Kinfolks saw three cousins come together to help one another. One of the biggest challenges with dating any kind of knife at all is the change of ownership that might have occurred along the line.

Hopwood Hall College Staff, Articles K

kinfolks knife identification