why homestuck is problematic

While many people inside the Homestuck fandom thought this was an excellent and humorous reward (especially considering they got all the other rewards below it as well) people outside of the comic fandom didn't get the joke and thought it was an example of Hussie being and egomanical jerk. We use cookies and other tracking technologies to improve your browsing experience on our site, show personalized content and targeted ads, analyze site traffic, and understand where our audiences come from. About number 12, according to ARquiussprite, they are there for some reason. 1,362,830. I welcome it. Accusations of certain characters beings Mary Sues. As for Karkat using "autistic" as an insult did he really? Ive yet to hear from Jane fans who had to watch the character Ben Shapiro her way into supporting actual genocide of an entire race of sentient beings. Chances are Hussie changed it in part because he wasn't really feeling the joke in the first place. WebA tale about a boy and his friends and a game they play together. Hearing that person use the word r*****ation made me so uncomfortable because r**ard is a slur and shouldnt be used no matter what. It seems to be about storytelling, social justice, and some character from a fairly popular piece of Japanese animation you may or may not have heard of? And he called himself on it too. Dividend Yield. But discussing inefficiencies and difficulties doesnt automatically translate to grumbling, but can be constructive and even strengthen bonds. If Im Hussie, I use the epilogues to tie up lose ends and put the story to rest, not start this whole other tangent about what canon really means and how all your favorite characters are actually awful people. Yet hes made multiple, incredibly racist characters that are heavily based on disgusting caricatures and stereotypes. They should have stuck with what they said. Maybe it would help if I knew what "AAVE" is, though. This process, known as review-bombing, has been used for both good and bad causes. WebRead MS Paint Adventures. It was a joke/was supposed to be weird/the character doing the thing was supposed to look bad for it. Constantly seeking out fetishistic situations and sexualizing characters in a fantasy story as well reading straight up bullshit from in-between the lines. Actually, my favorite thing about the webcomic: Homestuck is acutely aware that it exists on the Internet, and exploits that fact to its fullest capacity. Wait, not having a shirt on is sexual now? Weirdly, copyright law is an area of knowledge where people seem to feel completely sure giving their thoughts/opinions no matter how little research they've done on the subject. However, Dirks enemy isnt necessarily Calliope, its the very fact that stories end, and, when they do, everyone and everything existing after the end fades from relevance. If you actually read Hussie's tumblr about that incident, you would see that he specifically changed it not because people were upset about it but because other people on tumblr were using the canonicalization of tricksters as white to be nasty to others and he didn't want anything to do with that. Why pick them out? Its a prime example of how even years after Homestuck and Hiveswap were completed the distance Hussie keeps between himself and his fandom doesnt keep his work from spiraling out into controversy. Homestuck uses Flash, which means that it has His use of a wheelchair, for example, is frequently exploited as a weakness to make fun of. Gross Margin. Was it really an insult? From $23.00 Dance Shirt (White) *LAST CHANCE* Brunetto-4%. EVERYONE IS DEAD). Likewise Mindfang's joyous rape-and-murder spree of a memoir is discussed in text (And it's never graphic. Elwurd falls into the predatory lesbian stereotype. For this specifically, theres nothing wrong with Mallek himself, its moreover how hes treated. Dividend Yield. Please enter a valid email and try again. nothing you have written is debunking anything, it's just you saying you don't agree/see it. I thought we were more on the page of "Hussie is terrible because of recent incidents like the released emails between the moderation team and him", Man like almost every single criticism this person presents can be explained away with one of 3 responses. People actually pull a bigger fit about the fact that it was retconed than they ever did over the original joke. The outfits Jade is wearing is her outfit she wore when she was 13, implying her age in the art. The "r-slur" being used is true. Oh that's what you meant. The interesting thing about that controversy is that for awhile on tumblr there were more people complaining about people complaining about the Caucasian thing than there were actual people complaining about the Caucasian thing. Good job. Whatever. 13. Theres a problem with activations getting backed up, & stuck in our system. Possibly in a bid to avoid pulpiting to any fans, or even me the writer, he said he doesnt think his story is telling each and every person to cut themselves off. It's not Hussie approving of such activities. Some intentional, some not. Okay so later John says nominally Jake is indeed not at fault for being abused but appreciate for a moment how a story about kids playing a computer got to this point. After the epilogues to the story released in April 2019, the story stands at just over 1 million words. This results in a harsh environment with little regard for things like empathy. If you have an argument other than deformed kids (which I just said they shouldn't have), go ahead and try to change my mind. "Babyed or harassed"? If you are talking about, Karkat: hey asshole, stop playing games for girls, then I see it differently from you. Sure, their bodies didn't change, but don't you dare say ghosts don't mature mentally. WebMost toxic K-Pop fandoms include ARMY (BTS), EXO (EXOTIC), Twice (Once), and more. The Bold Glamour filter acts as a reminder not to do the same when it comes to our faces. I see that like "are you crazy? It aims to find out the shortest path during a salesman visiting cities below illustration. Asaresult, the narrative remains incomplete and unstable, and the relevance of key events is questioned all together. The fact that Homestuck isn't an anime makes them unpopular at anime conventions, despite things like video game and doctor who costumes being accepted in part because Some controversy came from the fact that two people donated 10,000 dollars to it to essentially have their fan characters get 1 panel cameos in the comic. This translates into the way Meenahs character is written, being the younger version of HIC shes shown to be the sassy black girl stereotype. In Meat, the story blasts through at a lightning pace, but the characters we love get thrown into the background as the story concerns itself more and more with Dirk and Calliope. And then his dead sister, Calliope, from another timeline where she becomes super strong, shows up to try and stop him. Take later. Maybe you watched a lot of Naruto, so your big project is filled to the brim with edgy ninjas and impractically sized swords. And then that ability comes in handy when the eight kids and the original players lose the game again. He's an asshole and I can't stand him. There is no denying that. This event kickstarts her own story and accelerates the development of her own personal politics. The April 2019 epilogues are less a long-awaited conclusion to an epic and more the last spasms of a stream-of-consciousness-turned-webcomic that collapsed under its own weight years ago. When Homestuck was going through the Trickster Arc in Act 6 Act 5 Act 2, there was a conversation between Jake and Jane just after Jane went into Trickster Mode, and just before Jake went into it. And then the four original kids make their game unplayable so they reset their entire universe so they can have a chance at winning. SBaHJ is hailed as hilarious by being so INTENTIONALLY awful. Okay, geez! Because automatic fire is inaccurate. (Talking about sniffing Marvus) So, we are kinkshaming now? How the hell do people extrapolate that? Usually it's individuals but I really want to spread the subject matter to be broader, and Homestuck is what we're doing the next episode on. I'd never had a Fruit Gusher. Attempts to defeat him with conventional weaponry are doomed to fail because he is already here. He is, by my estimation, the most interesting part of either epilogue, anyway. Is it a bad joke? that's all i'm saying. It wasn't even that funny! WebHomestuck tends to congregate in large groups that can cause problems at conventions. People dissect drama around his work and become amateur reporters on matters internal to his company. You can purchase the interactive fiction on Steam. And then there are all the people who cant shroud themselves in secrecy. As underage drinking is a touchy subject for myself personally im not very inclined to go through the route in detail but, underage drinking. I wrote in second person. I mean the priests are fucking clowns for god's sake, that's pretty fucking blatant. And then the monsters came. And then they got in a rocket.. Is this. They post in the most inappropriate moments, for example, a tragedy happened, and all of a sudden a K-Pop post pops up in the replies not once but many, many times. Take for example this moment early in the comic, with one of the four original kids, Dave: And compare is with a similar moment much later in the comic with a different character, one of the Trolls, Terezi: The music in the later combines Terezis Theme with the song from the original and the main melody from Crystalanthemums which at this point has been associated with her and her rival Vriska for some time now. In a flurry of accusations, the video called out both the studios financial decisions and Hussies own creative work as it pertained to the release of the game. According to multiple reports, many users of DISH network services are facing issues during the authentication or login process to the companys platform. Please keep in mind, the characters of friendsim are all minors. Homestuck is the longest and most well-known & loved of the MS Paint Adventures. People have clamored for us to produce high quality cosplay-ready horns for years, ever since I began working at WP. N/A. The impressive thing is, these couldve easily just been throw-away, cheap, forced, gags. But the Song of Ice and Fire series is twice as long by wordcount, and that's not even finished. Its digitally illustrated and lets you click through like you would in a narrative game. Cart; chantelle jamieson married From $14.00 End Pose Print. They show up literally once in the background of a page and a few times during the final fight(s). In some ways this was prompted Hussie took fan input while writing the original story and incorporated it into the final product. Hell, a lot of the stuff they accuse the story of, the story itself pokes fun at (such as all the accusations of pedophillia, something that Doc Scratch was openly considered creepy for in-universe) This really just feels like someone who was trying really hard to find bad things to say about the series. But mainly I was relieved to see the protests happen, because it answered a more fundamental question I had before starting on this story, which was wondering whether the country had any real fight in it., And while the writer says he saw this nation-wide spark as a very positive development, he wondered if this was even a story that needed telling anymore., In the end, he decided it was. There are pages that break the style of the website, pages that change the CSS are common, and there are pages that change their formatting to fit different content. As Dirk ascends, though, he gains full awareness of the story itself. Media analysis, fiction, and the art of writing the perfect story. WebThe plot of Homestuck is infamously convoluted but boils down to: four kids who know each other online play a video game together, inadvertently causing the apocalypse. Homestuck has three characters with definite disabilitiesTavros, Terezi, and Solluxthough for the purposes of this article, I will focus on Tavros and Terezi as, ever since Sollux has become blind, we simply have not had much screen time with him to merit analysis at this point. Oh yeah also you link to ipgd's post with Cool Dude and Stoner Lou, which, for context, is a direct parody of Shredded Moose--you really need that context to understand CDASL. Oh come on, he jsut made a joke. Why St. Pauls sales tax hike proposal is problematic. Cyberduds. I wouldnt be the snarky, nitpicking college kid with a blog if I didnt start that snarky nitpicking on Reddit and among fans complaining about, say, how retconning [S] Game Over totally ruined the emotional impact of the story up until that point. WebSnowman is the eighth member of the Felt. Hussies apprehension of fandom and the wild projections that come with presiding over one seem appropriate given how public comments on his work ignite controversy within the fandom. Towards the end of the main story, the comic introduces (and fails to develop) the idea of the Ultimate Self: characters with full knowledge and the full lived experiences of every character that has ever existed. When users affected by the problem try to access the DISH network system, all they get is a System is currently Then theres this: i consider the kids a-racial. In fact, you yourself just said that "Japanese highschool girl esque- outfits" are sexual. The fact that they changed it is what's wrong. Jake even blames himselflaterintheconversation, and John lets that slide. So Im almost made to feel bad for even entertaining John/Roxy as an idea in the first place if the results were to be this disastrous for everyone involved. Homestuck actually so sensitive to changes in the Internet that continuing the site as intended has proved to be somewhat of a challenge. Firstly, there is no total concensus within the text or with the characters. An exciting plot is all fine and good, but no one is buying into that if your characters are nothing but paper puppets, acting in any way that moves the plot forward. Or perhaps the second option catches your eye. Webi do think there is a lot to say on why homestucks fanbase is (to put it bluntly) so transgender in such a specific and interesting way. Too bad the post is gone. Its a contemporary text that carries the history of Hussies work and online life for better and for worse. Who is this detective? umm?" Cool post though :). Terezi wanted them to be "L1K3 4 Still, I think after a bit, writers that stick with it eventually realize these early influences never leave them. WebPoint 1: Homestuck is 'problematic' in the way that many people are beginning to dislike. While its about revolution, its told in a refreshingly modern and relevant way. OK, so who cares how old they were when they died? Don't say we didn't warn you. EDIT: I feel as though I should note that aside from controversies 11 and 7, I've attempted to portray these controversies as neutrally as possible (and my only opinion on 7 is that I think the female characters in Homestuck are very well written). It's pretty long. No Disney-style moral to repeat to your children. As such, sometimes fanon theories are presented with direct alternatives to prompt the reader to think about the worth of their own opinion versus someone else's, as well as present logical, but opposing, perspectives. But I strongly recommend it! When I speak of fandom Im referring to the activity which is more indicative of obsession, hyperfixation, the need for a sense of belonging to a greater movement, and starting to let that feeling shape your identity. Fans still regularly obsess over questions and details of Hussies life and work. After all (Vriska)'s whole personality changed. In response, the YouTuber made a video about their threat, which according to the legal document shared by the Sarah Z cited false, speculative claims, propelling the matter even further into the public theater. What Pumpkin LLC is the business in question, not Andrew himself. But theyre also very upsetting in general. But understanding that Psycholonials is chiefly an anti-cult narrative should help point to how I view the Homestuck phenomenon.

Livingston County Zoning Map, Gcu Hotel Shuttle Schedule, University Hospital Behavioral Health, Chris Craft Replacement Cushions, Jeff Taylor Sandnes Obituary Florida, Articles W

why homestuck is problematic