This provides an easy way for water to escape in order to help reduce the risk of hydroplaning. We recommend finding a happy medium between the two options by choosing mid-size tires that offer more traction than standard ones but dont sacrifice fuel economy or wear out your car quickly. Even aired down to 15PSI on 285/75R17 the tire lugs and sidewall struggled to grip the snow. Those that daily their rigs would enjoy these, but keep in mind its not an all-terrain when talking about road noise. We recommend trying to find a happy medium between the two options by choosing mid-size tires that offer more traction than standard ones but dont sacrifice fuel economy or wear out your car quickly. So, whether youre looking for a mud terrain that can take you to hell and back or just look badass while youre shopping at the mall, the BFGoodrich KM3 is the all-around winner in my opinion. All-terrains are great for the road, loose rock, gravel, moguls, sand, and different types of dirt or even clay. If you are looking for a 3PMSF rating in this category consider the Bridgestone Blizzak LT, Michelin Latitude X-ICE, Michelin LTX Winter, or for a cheaper option, look at a Firestone Winterforce variant. After doing some searching on Goodyear's website, I found that the price for a good 275 tire was between $250 to $380 per tire. So the closest and almost equal metric tire size of 265/70R17 existing size in inches is 31x10.50R17, which is -1.9% shorter and 0.96% wider. How much lift? Great for people who dont experience much snow but may encounter mud or sharp rocks often. I am going back and forth on either 265/70r17 or 285/70r17. Choosing the right tire for your vehicle can be a daunting task. The blocky-ness pulls well through low to moderate mud hole scenarios. Skippy8771, Jul 3, 2016. There may be better options out there for extreme to extreme terrain but thats not what the BFG KO2s are intended for. Also do I have to use wheel spacers with the 285s? Off-road, the deep tread and rugged traction shoulders give tons of grip for an all-terrain while also being resistant to punctures. Coming from a Toyo AT2 Xtreme, these EVO MT tires had better manners on the road which was somewhat shocking. (Tire Width Always Refers To The Measurement From One Sidewall To Another). I have never aired them down or tried any local off-road trails with them. They have an aggressive sidewall and large tread blocks but are surprisingly not that loud for your traditional MT. 265 tires are generally a good option for smaller vehicles or drivers looking to get maximum fuel efficiency. This is just a quick video to show that largest tire size you can put on a 5th gen 4Runner with an Old Man Emu 3 inch lift. But, with so many other options out there, there may be better options for you. Even though they have a mud terrain tread pattern, the tires center patch seems to resemble more of an all-terrain. I know the limited comes with 245s but what about running those on a TRD ORP? Load range C comes on 265s and smaller. Tire Size . The thicker, extended shoulder rubber and Increased rubber thickness extends down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. the size difference is 20mm (slightly over 3/4") wider on 285s. They provided good traction in all-seasons (dry, wet, snow, ice) conditions at the early stages of their life but towards the 20k-25k mile mark they showed signs of lost traction. They are built to tear through the thick stuff. 285 tire is 20 milimeters wider than the 265 tire. Nitto is known for its robust sidewalls so you can have more confidence airing them down and going into rock sections without worrying about impaling the sidewall. The open shoulder slots, as mentioned above, also provide better traction off-road. Although, after I put on an aftermarket bumper and winch, my front end is weighed down and they rub when I turn the wheel all the way. Instead of looking for the best option, we asked 20K people to gather the most common choices among the 4Runner crowd. I am also stuck between GY Silent Armors and GY Duratracs. In this blog post, we will take a look at two popular options: 265 tires and 285 tires. I should know, I searched high and low to no avail last year when I bought my tires. Then, well discuss their advantages and disadvantages, so you can make an educated decision about which one is right for you! So whatever they recommend just double back and verify real reviews of Toyota truck owners online. Thinner Side-Wall 265/70/17 Dunlops Generally speaking they did great on-road in most conditions unless there were major patches of ice or snow. If you dont want to read about AT and MT tires and want the fast answer stop here and call your local shop. After putting 10K miles on these, I truly enjoyed these and for ATs would buy them again. I think the Goodyear Duratracs are great for someone who is looking to have a good off-road option and drive through loose dirt, mud or snow. This tire has a P, which means that it is a passenger car tire. This increased height will also help to prevent overheating which is why many tires fail. That may be why Toyota mounts them on most wheels off-the-lot. One of the most well-known all-terrains on the market, the BFG KO2. If you have questions about size, check out this size guide for 4Runners. The Nitto Terra Grapplers are great for both on-road driving and off-road driving, but not perfect as they didnt last that long for us. The 265/70r17 tires are 31.6" tall. Almost no noticable rub. Great treadwear, low road-noise, a high level of ride comfort & all-weather performance contribute to their pleasant on-road manners. Some people actually enjoy the sound of their beloved MTs. This is one of those long-lasting all-terrains that many of us strive for but still offer performance off-road. MTs have a reputation for being louder than ATs and all-season. Thanks, They rub and wear unevenly. Most options in this category are going to be for 4Runner owners that see little to no off-roading, mostly pavement. I personally really enjoy a good all-terrain because, for the most part, they have great road manners while providing great performance off-road. In the case of 285, that would be a sidewall height of 213.75. If you need a tire that performs well off-road but still needs to drive on the highway to get there, the Discoverer AT3 XLT is your best bet. Being a hybrid, it has various traits that also make it a decent off-road. It is 10.9" vs 10.7". However, some ATs are more aggressive and are designed to act more like a Mud or even M+S variant. Our stock 4Runner has a 31 tire (265/70R17 - 31.61). The C-load ridge grappler is often chosen because its load rating is better suited for mid-size vehicles versus an e-load that you typically see on heavy-duty trucks. This is a great off-r0ad option FOR THE MONEY as they will perform and for the most part, get you through whatever section you throw at them. I wouldnt recommend these for your daily driver to work if youre not getting off-road at least monthly, as thats where these Trail Hogs really shine. Letters are speed ratings, not load ranges I thought. You can get a lower road noise with a Terra Grappler or Goodyear Wrangler, but these make up for it in strength. Working and driving through work sites I have put many nails and screws in these Toyo Open Country MTs and not once did I get a flat. The only downside off-road is they may bust lugs if you spin them hard on rocks. We get questions on a daily basis: What are the best AT or MT tires? That way, youll be able to enjoy all of the benefits without any of the detriments. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for them? Battling all of the wet elements, the SLA will take you through the most severe on-road conditions yet still keep it quiet in the cabin. Once again, it does several things well without necessarily excelling in one or another. The red letters are unmistakable. On the other hand, the 285 tires are pretty huge. Since they sit taller there is less clearance. I used the 265/75 size both times and liked it, though certainly the ride onroad was . Highway and All-Season tires usually come on your 4Runner off the lot. The lower load range is going to offer you a more comfortable ride although that is to be debated. On wet rock they suffer, slip and slide everywhere due to blocky tread pattern and the softness of the tire cant assist there. German Engineering. This means this tire only fits with a wheel that is 17 inches in size. A well-rounded AT backed by a bigger brand name in production (Cooper). Stay away from overly sharp rocky terrain or med-heavy mud as this tire is for the 70-80% on-road driver. The first letter on the sidewall of your tire tells you what kind of tire it is. Goodyear backs this with a 50K mile warranty but through some reviews online you will see people say this Wrangler SR-A can push upwards of 70-80K miles. The tire does have the Baja look similar to the KO2 which also features consistency for regular surface contact. This means this tire only fits with the size of 17 inches wheel. This style of tire is truly designed to claw at the rock, mud, snow or any other severe terrain you may find yourself on. The load range C are only 54 pounds. NOTE: The width of a tire is measured from sidewall to sidewall in millimeters, not the contact patch only. I was given the opportunity to take this new tire for a test ride before it was released, and let me tell you these things had amazing grip and traction performance off-road! The soft rubber compound allows for extremely impressive off-road performance at the 3k-10k mile mark but this same feature that makes them great can make them wear fast. The Falken Wildpeak AT3 performs exceptionally well on-road. If you are unsure which option is suitable for your vehicle, take a look at our comprehensive tire guide to find out! This well-mannered on-road tire will last well into the 50K mile mark and possibly beyond. If youre looking to climb significant rocky terrain or foresee yourself pushing through extreme wet, slick, muddy, and snowy off-road conditions check out some of the other MT tires listed here. They feature a mud slinger which provides a fresh grip in the mud, continuously throwing out the old mud. Specifically geared towards vehicle owners that spend time in the snow and wet conditions, the 4S is 3PMSF rated making it a great overall tire for time on the mountain where winters are long and wet. This tire definitely errs on the side of MT due to the lack of siping and larger blocks. Theyre also a great value for money so if youre on a budget, but know better than to cheap out on your tires entirely, these are definitely for you. I rotate every 5,000 miles and dont go off roading other than an occasional gravel road and they are bald at 31,000. The pats were made for the rock crawler or the guy on the budget. 285 is the tire WIDTH. #2. They are very smooth and quiet on the pavement with excellent wet traction. But, after putting about 20K miles on them, the performance in wet, snowy and icy conditions started to decline drastically. Moving up from a 33 tire to 34 tire. If it is a daily driver and occasionally you are going off-road, this is a good option, but the downside is that they wear out quicker than some others. It all goes back to driving habits and driving style. The KO2 features a tougher split & bruise resistant sidewall rubber, derived from BFGoodrichs race proven Baja T/AKR2 tire. They provide great traction on the road in all conditions. I see the S/T Maxx on PG&E trucks and other work trucks all the time. vs 285/75-16 vs 265/70-16 vs 235/85-16 vs 265/70-17 vs 285/70-16 vs 285/70-17 vs 255/85-16 vs 245/75-16 Send us your suggestions and ideas for the tire size calculator! I do drive mostly on paved roads between 35mph and 65mph but when it does rain down here the mud is pretty nasty, and I like to hit the tank trails around Fort Hood on my way to fishing spots, so I am leaning more towards the Duratracs. This is a good point, and opens another can of worms. If you are looking for an all-terrain Nitto that offers great on-road performance, and very minimal road noise with the occasional off-road adventure, then the Terra Grapplers might be for you. 285 tires offer better grip and stability than 265s, but can be more difficult to handle in tight turns. I have put the KM3 through its paces going over large boulders, through slushy mud pits and general dirt trails, it just keeps going. They are probably better suited for someone who uses their vehicle off-road more frequently but could also work for a daily driver. Thankfully there are many ATs to choose from so use this reference to find the option that most accurately fits your style. Thinking of doing 275/70R17 BFGOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 on a stock TRD Pro wheel on a 2020 4Runner TRD Off Road. Just like the Bridgestone Duelers, its a highway/all-season option designed for commuting, however, the Defender LTX M/Sis better suited to handle more wet and snow-covered surface scenarios. Vendor specials, free gear, giveaway notifications, group buys and more! Tire Size . Which of the following are priorities for you. If you are looking for a Nitto that is going to offer moderate-extreme off-road performance, you may want to consider one of the other Grappler variants. It would seem the primary focus of the MT71 is the maximum off-road grip. The Kanati Trail Hogs have substantial road noise for an AT and sometimes feel rigged/bumpy while driving, more like an MT. I do not want to do any modifications until I got the lift down the road. For an on-road daily driver or even commuter these are loud. Get these puppies down to 18-15PSI and hit the rocks they perform. If you got this far, you should now have a much better idea as to which tire fits your driving style best. The outer tread is what makes it a hybrid MT. Were always happy to help and would love the chance to interact with you guys on a more personal level. Tread depth is even across each as well as all 4. They look nice. The short answer is 32. All Terrain meets Mud Terrain with a very soft rubber compound and much to be desired off-road. If you really abuse your rubber then look for a stronger compound. While this added braking power is excellent when its raining outside or if youre driving at higher speeds, keep in mind that these heavier-duty options will wear out your vehicle faster over time due to increased friction created from additional weight. The sidewalls and shoulders feature equally aggressive biting edges to aid in traction when aired down. For this example, 70 designates for the height which is equal to 70% of the tires width. For some drivers, a hum is ok but a howl is not. These are more of a light SUV crossover design, not a medium-duty Truck or SUV tire. This is a studded-ready option with lots of siping along with little teeth on the base of the tire (TractiveGroove technology) made and designed for enhanced traction in deep mud, and snow. Just be wary of sticky, clay-like mud, where these Falken Wildpeaks tend to become more like drag slicks once the tread clogs up. 265 vs 285 Tires MPG. You cant go wrong with a KO2. This is your go-to for a well-rounded option that will grip any rocky or smooth surface all under the most severe weather, rain or shine. They're a good choice for larger vehicles and those who need their car to perform well in tough weather conditions. Mud Terrains are typically going to provide the most amount of traction possible for a street-legal radial. I dont do a lot of off-roading but I do drive in the snow quite a bit on trips to Colorado and they are great in the snow. For reference, hum is a little less severe than a howl. This is going to be above what you would find in a typical all-terrain. There are many factors to consider, and its not always easy to know which the best option is. They are also very quiet for such an aggressive tread. Nonetheless, I am so pleased with them that Im about to order another set. They have amazing performance, traction, durability and wear. Yeah these tires have a great reputation and that white lettering looks great! They also have their trail grip sidewall design which helps in the deep mud, sand, and snow. I have personally put about 5k miles on these Guard Dogs and have a love/hate relationship with them on road. ndmak, Sep 8, 2021. Required fields are marked *. 5th Gen 4Runner on 33's - 285/70r17. . Two months after relocating to the mountains Ive had a sidewall blowout and a puncture flat. The Toyo AT2 is on the harder side compared to other rubber compounds which means the tread will last a long time. I have never jad an issue and I have never trimmed my fenders. They have been absolutely fantastic in the wet, cold, and off road. Saw-tooth technology (1) traps the snow in the tread for great snow-on-snow traction, special Aqua Vac channels (2) featuring deep center grooves improve hydroplaning and micro-gauge zig-zag sipes (4) improve stability and assist with . Someone who wants a more aggressive tire with great performance off-road as well as great day-to-day on-road performance. In any case, load range D would likely be enough for most of our needs. Thanks for the article! 2016 4Runner TEP. When pushed through rain, snow, ice, the Kanatis provide solid traction and stability with minimal wear over time. These are an all-terrain light truck and SUV tire built to give dependable off-road traction as well as long-lasting durability. Available in three different versions, the P, LT, and Xtreme the Toyo AT2 are a commonly ran option on light to medium-duty trucks. However, they do not offer the same level of grip on wet roads that 285s can provide. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Great write-up guys! I run 285/70/17 with a leveling kit and 2 lift and have no problems. They are quieter than the Toyo AT which isnt saying much because the Toyo AT2 is known for being on the loud side. This is also a great option if you are towing anything or putting lots of weight on your 4Runner. It is slightly over 13/32nds. Brenan is the founder of Trail4R.com, Toyota guy through and through, verified nature lover, lightweight photographer, exploration enthusiast, and certified serial blogger. This Treadwright is a budget-friendly MTthat offers many great characteristics off-road but can be challenging in other areas. The FX 17x8 wheels look the same. oz. Ive only aired them down once, but they claw through mud and loose muddy rock extremely well. Also keep in mind that the weather condition in the area where you live. That way, youll be able to enjoy all of the benefits without any of the detriments. P or LT:The first letter on the sidewall of your tire tells you what kind of tire it is. This really depends on how you drive the tire and tire compound. The quality of the ride is extremely smooth with zero vibration or shaking. The Discoverer S/T Maxx is perfect for a 4Runner owner who is planning a long trip and needs to go just about anywhere without the risk of tire failure. Their performance off-road at about 30K-40K miles was almost non-existent and provided next to no traction, even when aired down. The particular ones I ran are on a 1-ton dually dump-truck, so most of my experience has been on-road. I'm sure you can get this reprogrammed but in my opinion, it isn't a big enough change to warrant the effort. Many people complained about the KM2s rough ride and horrible road noise. Yeah, they are a comfortable tire on-road but at the same time, can drive you nuts if you dont like tire hum. I know ppl hate cuz its not toytec, kings etc but you cant beat the price! And for a soft tire, they do great on mud, snow, sand, gravel, loose rock and general fire roads as well. Well outline all of these critical factors in detail so that you can make an informed decision about what will work best for you and your specific driving needs. thanks. We will explain how to read this so that you can understand what exactly it means. The noise isnt overbearing, but a hum that you just need to get used to or turn the music up. If you never off-road and occasionally drive through moderate to mild winter conditions then they might be for you. They arent meant for off-road use or extreme or severe weather. The AT2 is louder than most AT options but nothing compared to your typical MT. One of the smoothest and quietest rides you will find for a highway-focused option. The Armor Tek3 carcass is tough as nails, endlessly resisting sharp punctures on both the tread and the sidewalls. My personal off-road experience with these has not been on trails or Overlanding. I would suggest the same setup for anyone that wants a good looking street friendly off road capable beast. 34 tires require much more trimming, bending, and cutting than a 33 tire. No regrets. We came up with this list of the most common ATs and MTs gathered by responses from actual 4Runner owners on Trail4Runner.com. That way, youll be able to enjoy all of the benefits without any of the detriments. Size difference between 265/50 R18 and 285/45 R22 tires. I am going back and forth on either 265/70r17 or 285/70r17. Your email address will not be published. This model also has commercial sizes available. The Limited trim comes with 20-inch wheels and P245/60R20 tires. The KM3 ranges in price from $172 per to $508; of course, size plays a factor in the cost. In fact, Toyo has an impressive warranty backing the P rated version 65K miles and te LT sizes 50k miles. I appreciate how many tires you reviewed, very thorough. Daily commuting-weekend warriors will fair fine with this selection if its the look they want. If you need a dependable AT option at a great price that can get you safely down the road and capable to make trips on the trail, dirt roads, gravel, and across a well-packed field, then you can get a steal with the price on this one. Their CoreGard Technology sidewalls are 20% tougher than the previous KO AT. Its not super irritating, but those looking for quiet tires may want to look for an alternative. Other letters can be T, LT or C and ST. Many of light truck and SUV in the sticks have run these budget-friendly tires for all the basic things needed. Very happy to see you included the cooper at3 xlt, which I chose after a lot of research, I think theyre overlooked even though they excel in most areas. These Firestone M/T2 are for those who want an aggressive look, typically seen on off-road vehicles. The Dueler H/T has the ability to get you through light winters but they dont grip very well if there is any sitting snow, sleet, rain pockets or ice. Tire comparisons with silent armor and duratrac. So far the EVO MT has acted like an AT on-road while providing great traction with large siping on their earth digger tread blocks. For most 4Runner owners, a well-rounded AT is going to offer the best of both worlds. 285 tires tend to have better traction than their lower-profile counterparts thanks to the extra rubber gripping your road surface.

Matt Marcus Courtney Marcus, The Long Dark Switch Physical, Notre Dame Academy Alumni, Richard Silva Obituary, Is Super Humman Special Needs, Articles OTHER

265 vs 285 tires 4runner