To reach the .300 mark, youd need a 270-grain bullet (the North Fork and Woodleigh bullets come immediately to mind), but stabilization becomes an issue in the slower twists, and thats long been a problem in .35-caliber barrels. It is a good choice for shooters who are very sensitive to recoil, since its free recoil energy is only about 4.5 ft. lbs. Nosler offers the .350 Rem. As it was released in the first century of the 20th century, when the common boundaries of cartridge usage were being defined, the .350 Rigby Magnum was considered an all-around cartridge, especially in the more open terrain of British and German East Africa, known today as Kenya and Tanzania. My vote is for the .35 Whelen. I have never lost an elk, and I do not recall ever tracking one for recovery. Heres a look at 10 of the most flexible long-range hunting cartridges. The rivalry between the .338-inch and .358-inch bore diameters has a considerable history; both topped out at 300 grains (at one point in time in history), and both have a lower end of 180 grains. Can Coolers | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. Just have it rebarreled to 9.3X62, and you will have a 358 Norma with five in the magazine! For a while Savage chambered it in the Model 99, and I am still looking for one I can afford. I believe it never will. With a 200-grain bullet at 2460 f.p.s., it is a heavy-hitter on whitetails. From the .35 Winchester (1903), .35 Remington (1906) and .351 Winchester Self-Loading (1907) to the later .358 Winchester (1955) and .350 Remington Magnum (1965), there has always been at least one .35-caliber cartridge in use. I have a .356 Win. The .357 Magnum is ideal for light game like javelina and will do for the smaller species of deer and antelope at short range. You know the kind with the locking bolt. Kevin Steele, Publisher of Petersen's HUNTING talks with JJ Reich of HEVI-Shot about the new offerings for 2023. It never got up. As a comparison, the .358 Winchester with a 250 grain bullet at 2300 fps delivers 25.4 foot-pounds of recoil from a 7.5 pound rifle. So if you have a .375 (or larger) and a yen to take it elk hunting, be my guest. Shortening the 2.85-inches long .375 H&H case wasnt exactly a revolutionary ideathat little-known .275 H&H so closely resembles the design of the half-century younger 7mm Remington Magnum that its uncannybut with the Winchester marketing machine the concept was brought to the forefront. Ive obviously left the door wide open. in a rimmed cartridge that would work in a lever-action rifle. Your at the old delema again: does 200 fps matter to the deer. Perhaps thats why it has survived. The full spectrum of our many 7mms, from 7mm-08 and 7x57 on up to the fastest 7mm magnums, are also fine, but they are not magical giant-slayers. They are a little short initially and after two firings they were just fine. So, if you have an interest in carrying an ultra-rare cartridge of impeccable pedigree, you either roll your own or have someone load it for you. Is there a way to find out what year it is by serial #? Another vote for something different.The 358 STA would be the one. It was verry expensive to shoot, lots of powder and expensive bullets and brass. It will kill farther than that, of course, but that is its optimum range. The .358 Norma Mag. I have one, of course, and it is fun to shoot, but I would never use it on a serious big-game hunt. The cartridge predates the more famous .416 by three years, and the .350 Rigby was the first to feature the sharp 45-degree shoulder which is the hallmark of the Rigby designs. Shaw will make a rifle, as will any other custom, or semi-custom, riflemaker. Though still under construction, Im eager to take the classic cartridge into the hunting fields. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. The .350 can drive a 250 grain bullet to a MV of 2500 fps. The 600 Magnum suffered from a barrel that was too short at 18 inches. Sure, we experiment a bit with other bore sizes, but in the end it always comes back to the .30 caliber. Elk Venison and Root Vegetable Stew Recipe, Best New Thermal Optics from the 2022 SHOT Show, Venison Backstrap with Sweet & Spicy Peach Relish Recipe, Tested Tough - Modern Zeiss Sports Optics. X-Vision Optics long-range ImpactThermal Scope (TS300) boasts a 640 x 480 thermal sensor that can detect big game well past 3,000 yards. Theres also a mindset difference. It shoots well and is light and easy to carry while hunting. You can never lead if you always follow; the other cartridges were designed to chase Winchesters success, while the .35 Rem. And, as any fan of the .35-caliber cartridges knows, there are quite a few bullet weights to choose from within the caliber. would follow that tradition. Today the .35 caliber family, at least in North America, includes the .357 Magnum, .35 Remington, .356 Winchester, .358 Winchester, .35 Whelen, .350 Remington Magnum and .358 Norma Magnum. A monster buck is different from a fork-horn or a fat doe. Back in the late 70's I picked up a custom 1903 in 358 Norma Mag, awesome rifle, very accurate and it put a thump on deer, I bought it hopping to get a moose tag back in MN, never did and sold the rifle. In addition, for stopping the big predators of the world, it's hard to beat a suitable .35 caliber rifle. zero-we see that contrary to popular belief, a 35-caliber can be a long-range cartridge. And the hunter must have full confidence in his or her choice. Our editors have hand-picked these essential pieces of gear to make you a more successful hunter when you hit the game trails this season. The cartridge is closely related to the .308 Norma Magnum. That year, Remington also brought out the Model 673 Guide Gun in .350 Rem Mag. Of course, it took the .338 Winchester Magnum many years to catch on, and it took the .243/6mm cartridges over a half century after the introduction of the 6mm Lee Navy cartridge to gain popular acceptance, so perhaps there is still hope for the .35's. From there, you can work up until you find a load that gives you the accuracy and velocity you want. Thinking of a medium bore with a bit of thump.9.3 x 62 holds some exotic mystique for me being its use on African large game but I am thinking realistically .366 cant be that much of an advantage over .358 can it? Federal loads the 225-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2600 f.p.s. By Layne Simpson. has been offered in just about every rifle action type ever conceived and a few handguns. It can work in close or at a distance or dazzle you with footwork. At the same time, it will do almost everything the .375 will but with vastly more versatility. So are the .350 Remington Magnum and .358 Norma Magnum. The 25-degree, 30-minute shoulder gives plenty of room for powder, and though the neck of the .358 Norma measures less than the desired one-caliberit comes in at 0.328-inchthere is plenty of neck tension to hold the bullets in place without the need for crimping. In many areas a 100-pound deer might be normal, but mule deer and whitetail bucks exist that are triple that size. Have all three, and have not shot any of em My medium is a 9,3x62. Any of these will handle just about any big game one might hunt with a .358 Norma, where you want to employ its ample knockdown power. And Barnes makes a 200-grain TSX bullet designed for this cartridge that, when handloaded to 2850 f.p.s., allows the .350 Rem. There are specialized situations where close shots are the norm, but most often, the ideal elk rifle should have enough versatility for shots out to 300 yards and change. The case capacity of the .350 Rigby is very similar to that of the .358 Norma Magnum, and the performance is likewise similar. However, Winchesters .338 Magnum proved to be the darling of not only those bound for the 49th state, but for those hunting elk and moose at lower latitudes. While the Colt Model 601 was the first AR-15 to be mass-produced, there were several design variations that came before during the platform's development. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. An elk offers a large target, so extreme magnification shouldnt be necessary. I will go with the 35 Whelen BUT 9.3x62 will be cool due that you already have a 350 Rem mag, if you're opening the bolt face the 358 STA better option than Norma and 338-06 could be a nice choice too. lbs. Your rifle is your most important hunting tool, and knowing how to properly clean and store it when hunting season comes to a close is critical in keeping it in tip-top shape. Hunting Shack 358NORMA2N Game King 358 Norma 225 gr Sierra GameKing Spitzer Boat-Tail - 20rd Box. That load has a maximum optimal range on 1000 pound game (like a big Alaskan moose or brown bear) of 151 yards. If the .350 Rigby Magnum was effective in the golden era of safari, modern premium bullet designs will make it even better. I'm looking for a simpler project on this one. Either way, the Newton is the unbelted twin of the .358 Norma. Kevin Steele of Petersen's HUNTING is with Dawn Wehunt of Rock River Arms INC. learning about the new Ascendant platform. Thats a question I just dont understand. and .35 Rem., it was an excellent woods rifle for hunting whitetails. Not necessarily top dollar everything. These include some of my favorites, such as the .358 Winchester and .45-70. I'd go with the 35 whelen. Mag. The H-4895 load given in the table is not from any manual but was worked up with the assistance of Hodgdon ballistician Ron Reiber. I have needed to reach 400 yards, but never a whole bunch farther. But starting in the late 1950s, the .338 bore size gained considerable tractionthanks to the emergence of the .338 Winchester Magnum. That version is in some dispute, with evidence that Whelen himself developed the cartridge or at least worked with Howe on its development. .50 BMG. Common loads fire a 200-grain bullet at 2,800 fps (about 3,480 foot pounds of energy), a 225-grain bullet at around 2,600fps (3,380 foot pounds of energy . Spl. The nearest of any to the .358 Norma was the .35 Newton, which it closely resembles. pushes a 200-grain bullet to just more than 2000 f.p.s. This means that the momentum of a rifle's reaction will exactly equal the momentum of the bullet and powder gasses ejected from the barrel. I was used to the 30-06 parent cases (.270, 25-06, etc) so that is what I decided on. Remington currently lists a Model 7 rifle with a 20-inch barrel; todays version of the 600 in .350 Rem. Kynoch was a big producer of .350 ammo, but that has ceased in the recent past. Powders such as IMRs Trail Boss, Accurates 5744 and IMRs discontinued SR-4759 all work with lighter bullets, and sometimes accuracy is very good, even if the gas seal is not. Sadly, my favorite bullet diameter, the .35 caliber, doesnt even rate a blip on the American shooters radar screen. With such a variety of bullets, you would think the skys the limit in terms of different loads, but there are other factors to consider. Sure, you can get away with it, especially with todays extra-heavy bullets, but I think its foolish. Winchester still offers ammunition, but the guns are history. That being said, with much wider availability, and the higher . Coming from me, this conclusion may shock you, so let me give you another surprise. For anyone with an experimental or fanciful turn of mind, the .358 Norma and the many .358-inch diameter bullets are a gold mine. Can't really imagine one cartridge doing anything the other couldn't, though the availability of bigger bullets and way more factory ammo (if wanted) are definite pluses for the Mauser. But the .416 is certainly not the only cartridge to bear the Rigby surname; read the works of Walter Dalrymple Maitland Karamoja Bell, or Col. Jim Corbett and the .275 Rigbybetter known as the 7x57mm Mauserwill get all sorts of praise. Copyright 2003, 2012 by Chuck Hawks. I've owned several Magnum Mediums338 RUM, 340WBY, 375 H&H, 375 WBY, 358NM, 338WM. I have built all 3 several times for various customers and owned both the 358 Norma and the 9.3X62.

Ktm Tanah Merah Ke Kuala Lipis, Why Does Follow Me Franklin Say I Feel Tired, Hadith On Mending A Broken Heart, Capricorn Sun Leo Rising Libra Moon, Articles OTHER

358 norma magnum vs 35 whelen