Theres a bar and a restaurant if youre not a guest so you can always enjoy Driftwood without staying here. Read More: Guatemala Bucket List Best Things To Do In Guatemala. People come from all around to flock to the beach and watch one of the best sunsets in the whole country. Copyright 2023 Where in the World is Nina? Unknown to most travelers, Guatemala's best kept secret is home to some of the country's top surfers. It will certainly be the slowest and least pleasant. Finally, you can take the chicken bus from Antigua, but youll have to transfer twice and take a tuk-tuk. After a morning surf or if youre just waking up from last nights party, it is never a bad time to relax by the pool. You can book a tour through La Choza Chula. Happy days! Monterrico is the more popular Guatemalan beach choice, as its much more built up, with more choice of places to stay. See more information on their website here. The best option to rent a kayak is at El Paredon Surf Camp for 40 GTQ (5 USD) for three hours. Jokes aside - El Paredon is pretty safe. When can you find snow in El Paredon? It is possible to go straight from San Pedro La Laguna instead of meeting in Panajachel but this isnt suggested. Thank you! Below is a list of some of my favorite hiking/travel gear that I bring with me everywhere. This is me Living Out Loud(Lau). Beyond the few hotels and their resturants, there is one conveniece shop, a few tiendas, a few resturants, and thats it. Taxis and Uber are much more expensive than using one of the tourist shuttle services, so we dont recommend it unless you have no other choice. Though Guatemala does not have the best reputation when it comes to safety, El Paredon is very safe. Their mission is to create locally-driven projects that ensure the educational and environmental development of El Paredn and neighbouring communities. RELATED: 17 Adventurous Things To Do in Guatemala + Tips For Your Visit! Im not joking; this town is pretty desolate! Weeks with ideal weather are listed above. It is a very safe place to visit but you should always be careful of the street dogs. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the pool and intermittently walked to the beach Anahi United States of America 9.3 Make sure you take out plenty of cash before you come, because not everywhere accepts credit cards (or you might have to pay a large fee.). Afterwards, you get the chance to try fishing, the local way! The weather in El Paredon was great every single day I was there. Also, this is pretty much the main thing to do here, as Ive mentioned. Go and grab a board from your hostel and start shredding! My goal is to help others find the experience they want out of life and to show them how to achieve it. Is El Paredon, Guatemala safe? This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. After being turned away by most of the other places in El Paredon who werent very helpful at all this place was a breath of fresh air. Visitors can explore the unique environment by taking on a tour in a traditional wooden boat. The average high during this season is between 92.8F (33.8C) and 90.2F (32.3C). We recommend that you do horseback riding around sunset, so you can enjoy the beautiful colors of the falling sun as you make your way across the gorgeous black sand beaches of El Paredon. Just keep in mind there are no Ubers in El Paredon to bring you back to Antigua. Its a place on the verge of becoming part of the tourist trail, things are changing quickly there and new hotels, shops, and restaurants are being built quickly. Unlike surfing which you have to do in the sea, you can stand-up paddleboard in the river, which means that you dont have to worry about the violent waves. El Paredon is a surfing beach town located on the Pacific coast of Guatemala, in the department of Escuintla. Super cool chill spot with access to hammocks, pool, and hang-out area at the top of their main bungalow. Anything youd add? Hotel in El Paredn Buena Vista. So when looking for travel insurance its important to check it covers travel disruption due to COVID-19, World Nomads, Safety Wing, or Travel Insurance Master all provide cover for this. It was even kind of burning my feet when it got kicked into my flip flops. The Mellow hostel is a little bit pricier when compared to the other options in the area but for good reason. El Paredon is super sleepy and honestly can be explored in about an hour of walking around the town. Theres always something going on! This website uses affiliate links, meaning I may earn a commission if you make a purchase through a link at no extra cost to you. Book: Mellow Hostel | Driftwood Hostel | Cocori Lodge, RELATED: The Essential Beach Packing List (+ Fun Items and Tips!). As Ive mentioned, El Paredon is small. So take my advice if you are going to El Paredon, book to stay at Casa Macano Surf-Yoga! Its one of the best surf spots in Guatemala, in fact, The Guardian thinks its one of the t. Where is El Paredon beach, and how do you get from Antigua to the beach? Humidity and temperatures combine to make this season feel warm. Nesting is from June-November. You can choose to keep the fish to cook or donate some of the fish to the local families. Founder of Wheres Mollie / We Are Global Travellers, content creator, photographer and videographer. Please see myDisclosurefor more details. Explore The Pacific Slope. El Paredon is famous for its black sand beaches. Your options are Thai Curry, Indian Curry or Noodles. Youll then stop off at a local salt farm where you can see the process of the natural salt extraction here in Guatemala. The cost of the shuttle is Q90 (about $12) each way to and from Antigua, and there are usually two departures daily. Support local businesses. If you take a chicken bus, youll need to make multiple transfers or even take tuk-tuks. I sat and watch for most of the day from my hammock surfers being thrown around. Despite its tiny size, the whole place feels like a different world, compared to the rest of the country. This might be a better option if you would like to get some sleep at night because it can get quite loud at Driftwood Surfer. Allen who was looking after the place (and still is) was so incredibly helpful and showed me up to their dorm room. Although its only two hours from Antigua, it feels very remote and like its a world away. The way we experience weather isnt all about temperature. If you are looking for a luxurious beach getaway or a beach that you can bask on for hours and hours while being catered to, this is NOT the place to go! We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. The graph below shows the % chance of rainy and snowy days in El Paredon. Take a bracelet making class with some of the local girls from the village. It is a very safe place to visit but you should always be careful of the street dogs. Stay up-to-date on the coronavirus outbreak This means any day of the week, you can use the 100q you pay for entry towards food and drink. Set back just 5 minutes walk from the beachfront, Mellow Hostel also has a wonderful reputation as being somewhere social to stay but without the intense party vibes. They are more expensive than the chicken bus but I believe safety is worth the cost, which is not outrageously high anyway. El Paredon is situated along a river filled with mangroves, which empties out into the ocean. I am certainly no stranger to adventure, outward and within. When they were open.. the food was amazing! El Paredon is located near the Sipacate-Naranjo National Park of mangrove forests. If youre going to walk on the beach, walk along the wet part and run there because the dry sand will scald you on the way. Those willing to visit at these times will likely find it the least expensive month. Usually, a third-party shuttle runs daily from Antigua to El Paredn, and the prices are usually around Q110 per person. 1 knot = 1.15 MPH or 1.85 KPH. There are multiple options on how to get to El Paredon, depending on where you are. Cabins and places to camp are offered at affordable prices, and lessons are offered for beginner surfers. a beach hut with no air conditioning.) Eating local is one of my favourite things to do in Guatemala and is one of the best things to do in El Paredon because 1. Ive heard from several people that they really loved their stay here. This activity is one of my personal favorites. Additionally, if you visit between March and April, youll experience warmer weather. All wind speeds are in knots. Not everywhere has WiFi. El Paredon Beach is not the typical beach to lay on all day while tanning. The area is less temperate than some in the 17th percentile for pleasant weather compared to tourist destinations worldwide. The graph below shows the average snow on the ground in El Paredon (in). World Traveler, Travel Blogger, Photographer. Many come here to relax, surf, or party as there are honestly not many other choices! (47 reviews) "Exelent place to Relax" Reviewed on Jan 30, 2023 Mellow, Driftwood, and Cocori are totally awesome places to book while staying in El Paredon! Not many people will be swimming because of the rip currents and the big waves that rip through here. I traveled with four other girlfriends and had the best time. Note that we define significant precipitation as .1 inches or more in this section. Where is El Paredn? Reviewed March 3, 2022 . I only have one night, which was not enough! Since then the ownership has changed and it is now called, After being turned away by most of the other places in, As I mentioned before there isnt that much choice BUT its probably the best food Ive eaten in, This is a popular local food place that serves some really great fish! Our best data indicates this area is somewhat safe. Youll get to see their heads pop up to breathe! El Paredon is different because the sand is actually dark. Take a tour with La Choza Chula. With how remote El Paredon is and seems, it is actually quite easy to get here. Best Times to Travel Guatemala El Paredon, Guatemala, Tourism graph is based on Google searches for services used by tourists relative to the rest of the year. For 120 quezales($15), I had a private one-hour lesson with Bagley. Local experiences are why we travel! From air-conditioned rooms to its beautiful pool and beachside location, there is nothing not to love about Driftwood Surfer. Dont forget some of these hostels are total party spots so dont book your stay there unless its your vibe! The owner Garry is really friendly and knows how to make some great food! Most people, myself included, will head to the Pacific Coast to get their dose of saltwater whilst in Guatemala. Other travel guides we know you will like: Global traveller @ste_marques shares with us the B, 5 DAY TRIPS FROM LISBON There are no lifeguards on the beach, and swimming is pretty dangerous. If you're looking to experience an off-the-beaten path destination in Guatemala, look no further than El Paredon. You can chill at their pool (excellent since the beach sand has rough water and burning sand) and use their facilities. However, the water here is a bit intimidating, so you might want to go out with somebody who can help you have more fun and be super safe. The lowest chance of rain or snow occurs around early January. Is El Paredon Guatemala safe? Hiking the Famous Acatenango Volcano Near Antigua, Exploring the Nature Park of Hobbitenango, Exploring the Many Hikes Lake Atitlan has to offer, KEEN Durand II Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots, Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Socks, 10 Day Itinerary in Guatemala: The Ideal Route, 3 Week Itinerary in Peru: A Hikers Dream, 3 Week Itinerary in Colombia: A Dream Vacation, The best overall way to travel from Lake Atitlan to El Paredon is by shuttle, This shuttle takes 3 hours and you will have to get off and onto a boat for the last 10 minutes. The sunrise and sunset light here is heaven. Like many Latin-American countries, Guatemala has unique national foods that will make your mouth water. What Should You Pack For Guatemala? We guarantee youll make unforgettable memories during your stay in El Paredon. Before the world wakes up and before the heat of the sun rises, take the time to wander down to the beach and enjoy a meditation, podcast, surf session, walk or run. You will be given your own room, communal kitchen and bathroom and a communal area where you can chill on some hammocks. The only company I recommend for booking transport and tours in Guatemala (other than the individuals and companies I have named) is GuateGo. Keep in mind that these services do not operate on the coast, so they wont be an option for your return. 2023 Wander Her Way. Being a tropical country, Guatemala experiences rain for most of the year. If you are wanting to visit El Paredon then you must know there isnt a lot to do here. Crowds naturally gather in this location come sunset so its a very social place to grab a drink and join in with the beach volleyball which, during my stay, seemed to be daily occurance. Kayak the mangroves to the left of the town. Explore Guatemala's mystical, mountainous, and volcanic landscapes on this tour, including hiking, biking, and boating. A really wholesome tour exposing you to the abundance of Guatemala and the species that thrive within it. So if youre wanting a late lunch at 4pm you might struggle to find a place offering food at that time. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Hammock Living. You can also email but remember the wifi isnt great there so it is always best to call. Amplios jardines, lagunas, columpios, paseos a caballo, tours planificados, piscinas, nacimientos de agua y mucho ms. If you are a big surfer and love relaxing by the pool, then I highly suggest you visit El Paredon in Guatemala. The small town is home to a small population, which means that no crime goes unnoticed. As of Oct 07, 2019 there are travel warnings for Guatemala; exercise a high degree of caution. Many hotels offer classes and equipment at affordable prices, so you dont have to worry about being inexperienced. The 20km. It is a truly beautiful experience that you cant miss. It features an on-site restaurant serving some of the best food in El Paredon. Our perceived temperatures factor in humidity and wind chill to better represent how hot or cold the day feels to a person. There are various companies that offer shuttle services, either from Antigua or the airport. See average monthly temperatures below. The only downside to the place is that it is a little away from the beach, so you dont get any beach access while hanging out here. Surf This is easily the most popular activity that people come to El Paredon to partake in. In most hostels, you will have the opportunity of staying at a beachfront property for a great price. If you are doing shorter trips or a longer backpacking trip then WorldNomads or Travel Insurance Master are the best option. Mellow Hostel is a newly-opened hostel with delicious food (my lunch here was one of the best meals I had in Guatemala!) Nowhere is 100% safe, all of the time. You can expect the temperature to be between 32 and 34 Celsius, with nights being around the mid-twenties. More About Nina. We mostly ate at our hostel (Cocori) and they had amazing food. They do have a huge sea turtle conservation project that is a must to check out if you come during the sea turtle hatching season. I would suggest a minimum of 2 nights so you can take the time to relax as well as get a surf lesson and go turtle watching! IM MOLLIE AND I STARTED THIS BLOG BACK IN 2013 WHEN I HEADED OUT ON MY FIRST BACKPACKING ADVENTURE. PeruRomaniaColombiaGuatemalaHong KongMalaysia. The Surf House is a super cool place to stay (on the beachfront!) So which spots have the best day passes? Swell Guatemala (this seems to be the cool place to stay these days. This is the place to do it. Just lay down, enjoy some coconut water, and listen to the calming sound of the crashing waves. Depending how many people you have, this isnt too much more expensive than the shuttle and is more convenient. The dorm rooms arent bunk beds which I see as a huge plus. The only danger in El Paredon is the strong currents that could pull in inexperienced swimmers. I started Claires Itchy Feet to inspire women to pack their bags and travel more. This is a very small beach town, dont just show up! Its also located directly on the beach. El Paredon is an up-and-coming destination in Guatemala. I didnt see the full menu but I have it on good authority that they have the best Pizza in Guatemala and I can safely say their breakfast waffle was the best breakfast Ive eaten in a long time. So these are the spots offering day passes. To soak up and immerse ourselves in different languages, cultures, tastes and traditions. It rains or snows a significant amount: 2 to 11 days per month. There is no ATM! Rent a board and surf! Youll spot all the local wildlife, from ibises to herons and turtles. This reserve, administered by Cecon (Centro de Estudios Conservacionistas de la Universidad de San Carlos), is Monterrico's biggest attraction. El Paredon Guatemala At A Glance El Paredon is a tinny town where you can literally walk its length in about 10 minutes! From surfing in its bright blue waters, to seeing sea turtles, or just relaxing in top-rated hotels, you wont get bored there. The WiFi at Mellow Hostel works very well, but I heard it can be not so great at other places. The seafood there is a must-try. For the tourist bus, its around 125Q and you can either book through the accommodation you book to stay in El Paredon, or, As mentioned earlier there arent that many places to stay in, Unfortunately, I didnt confirm a booking before I went and ended up wandering down the beach looking for somewhere to stay! El Paredon Guatemala surf spot is also suitable for intermediate surfers. Some of the events that happen are beer pong tournaments and trivia nights. The beach is BEST enjoyed first thing in the morning or at sunset. WiFi is meh and not offered at every accomodation. Disclosure: Where in the World is Nina is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, MileValue, as well as other affiliate programs, designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites at no extra cost to you. Luckily there are a few little hammock huts along the beach, but those are for guests only; we will talk more about this in a sec! El Paredon is my favorite beach in Guatemala and just a short ride from Antigua. Learn more. I stayed here for 4 nights back in March and it was a nice way to end our time in Guatemala. Watching the sun rise and the sun set is one of the best things to do in El Paredon for sure. El Paredon is one of the best surf destinations in Guatemala. Below I will explain multiple options when coming from Lake Atitlan and Antigua. See the exact locations of these spots on theGuatemala Google Map Legend. You can book onto one of their tours or opt for kayak rental and explore for yourself. Be sure to wear shoes as the sand gets extremely hot! Nina helps people like you move around the world while making money. Another option is taking an Uber from Antigua, which is what I did and it was about $55. Instead, they use a washing line. It has a pool (with a bar inside), a volleyball court outside, and pool tables. It is nice to walk along the water to see the other parts of the area and to truly see how remote you are. The sand is black volcanic sand, and it is boiling the majority of the day. Enjoy some water sports, or simply sit on the beach and watch the sunset. During the hottest part of the day, theres no better way to cool down than relaxing by the pool. For example, on the week of January 1st there are no days of precipitation on average. There are two main companies that have shuttles to El Paredon, NEWay or 2theOcean. There are very few places to eat and not many hotels either. Make friends with the local dogs, roll out a towel, cover yourself in suncream and read your book! I think thats the name anyway! As you walk along the black sandy shores, you encounter endless waves and breathtaking sunsets. And What Not To Pack? Youll be watching the sun go down after another day in paradise with everyone else in El Paredon, its a social time to be at the beach for sure! They will get you to El Paredon in no time and even pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. Thank you for all the info about el paredon, in my next trip to guatemala, Ill defininetly go visit that beautiful place. Many come here to relax, surf, or party as there are honestly not many other choices! Its a 2- 2.5-hour bus ride from Antigua to El Paredon and although Im normally an advocate of taking public transport its really not worth it. It is one of the best surfing spots in Guatemala, and though you might not be able to do a lot of swimming, the black sand beaches are an incredible sight.

Central High School Student Death, Articles E

el paredon guatemala safety