It was the standard British/Commonwealth sidearm in the Second World War , alongside the Webley Mk IV and Smith & Wesson Victory Model revolvers chambered in the same calibre. At first in wood and later made from bakelite, these are the grips which we typically see on the Enfield Revolvers. [15] When used in the manner in which British forces trained (rapid double-action fire at very close ranges), the No 2 MkI* is at least as accurate as any other service pistol of its time, because of the relatively light double-action trigger pull. I thought I'd seen these same markings discussed before: In my usual way of collecting serial numbers, I began collating Enfield revolver serials some time ago. Most of these were "shaved" when imported to the U.S. so they could use the more available (and relatively . Iz, a deviation of the .38 Smith & Wesson cartridge, also known as the .38/200. This material was extracted from official papers. [3] The authorities began a search for a double-action revolver with less weight and recoil that could be quickly mastered by a minimally trained soldier,[4] with a good probability of hitting an enemy with the first shot at extremely close ranges. by bambach. Item Number: PR40212. A variant the No2 Mk I* is double action only because it was issued to tank crewmen who didnt want hammer spurs hanging up in emergencies such as bailing out of their burning Sherman after tangling with a German Tiger. About 55,000 MkIs were made, and an unknown number were converted to MkI* during factory repair, as required by the change order that created the MkI*. The right side of the frame has ENFIELD/ No 2 CROWN / 1940 The plastic checkered grips are in very good condition but is missing a logo disc on the right grip. Codes & Marks: Government Marks. My Dad had it above the Fireplace for another 20 years. 226 Williams Ln. The .476 Enfield cartridge for which the Enfield Mk I/Mk II was chambered fired a 265gr (17.2g) lead bullet, and was loaded with 18gr (1.2g) of black powder. There were more than 317,000 Mk I MLE rifles produced and nearly 600,000 Mk I* MLE rifles. 2 MK1 .38 S&W caliber revolver. Enfield No.2 Mk 1* was developed in the late 1930s for the British Tank Corps, and are distinguished from the early Mark 1 by spurless, Double Action Only hammers, lighter mainsprings, and re-shaped grip side plates. SOLD - Factory Chrome Walther PPK - Rare. [7], Irvine liked them so much that, in one of his final acts as Commissioner, he ordered another 600, which were delivered in September 1885. Bore is very good. Despite the fact that it was the first revolver adopted by . Its double-action trigger pull is one of the shortest Ive ever encountered during 50+ years of shooting. The Howard Auto Cultivator Company (HAC) in New South Wales, Australia tooled up and began manufacturing the Enfield No 2 Mk I* and I** revolvers in 1941, but the production run was very limited (estimated at around 350 or so revolvers in total), and the revolvers produced were criticised for being non-interchangeable, even with other HAC-produced revolvers. The demand of new ENFIELD NO2 MK 1 pistol's has risen 1 units over the past 12 months. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. Serial Number: Class: Curio & Relic Handgun. 7. No.4 Mk1 Date and serial questions. The .476 calibre Enfield Mk I and Mk II revolvers were the official sidearm of both the British Army and the North-West Mounted Police, as well as being issued to many other Colonial units throughout . Deployed military should use stateside address. No substitutions or transfers to a third party are allowed. These prefixes can be used to authenticate these rifles if found in a gun shop or personal collection. It has matching numbers throughout, but appears all serial numbers were re-worked and also stamped with a 'CPJ' marking, though we could not find the significance of this marking through research. As I said, I work part time in a gun shop in northern Commiefornia, It came in in a large collection. Buymilsurp.com Enfield No2 MK1** .38 Revolver Mfr by Albion - INFO ONLY NOT FOR SALE P17-10 Enfield No2 MK1** .38 Revolver Mfr by Albion Date Acquired: Caliber: .38 Purchase Price: Finish: Blued Bore Condition: VG-EXC Barrel Length: 5" Stock Condition: G-VG some mars Type: Revolver Metal Condition: EXCELLENT Serial #: C25XX Markings: Top of barrel CAL-38, Right side above grips Albion No2 . The conservative condition would be 95+%. The serial #A5003 all match.the right side of barrel has NP.38".767 3-5 tons. . No Air Pistols were produced 1940-1945. Peek! [13] The new cartridge was accepted into Commonwealth Service as "Cartridge, Pistol, .380 Mk IIz", firing a 178 - 180 grain (11.7 g) full metal jacket round-nose bullet. The world's most powerful firearm database. Download URL for automatic installation. Previously sold. The guns were developed in the 1960s by Robert Mainhardt and Art Biehl through their joint company MB Associates. you can get the place of original mfgr , as to deployment there are a few markings put on in service that sometimes help but mostly not . Middle is a Remington factory round called the .38 S&W Its attached to a period British issue belt. No4 Mk1 . and at right is a British military load named the .380 Revolver Mk II. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. 1943 Enfield No4 Mk1 T Sniper.303 British Rifle Serial Number: H35570 Holland & Holland Sniper Conversion . Barrel appears to be '57 dated, and has an import mark on the underside. Again, thanks for the help! RSAF Enfield was unable to manufacture enough No. My brother dlbleak and I have a few guns in .38 S&W but ammo is a bit tricky as is reloading. Here's a rough yearly range, as normal, there are some guns where the date marking on the frame is earlier or later than the inspector date on the barrel. The vast majority of Enfield No 2 revolvers were made by RSAF (Royal Small Arms Factory) Enfield, but wartime necessities meant that numbers were produced elsewhere. Prizes will not be awarded if illegal in jurisdiction of winner(s). I thought the spur less mn1* didn't start until 1938. 2 MK1* 1940, but was nickle plated at the factory. markiemark; 2 mo ago; 3. Deployed military should use stateside address. The model's improvements saw the MLM Mk1* in 1889. That MLE with a s/n of 252 must be a pretty rare one then. 2 Mark 1 revolver was developed at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield . I mostly have Colt SAA's and Smith & Wesson. [2] Perhaps because of the relatively long double-action trigger pull compared to other pistols capable of single-action fire,[14] the double-action-only MkI* revolvers were not popular with troops,[14] many of whom took the first available opportunity to exchange them in favour of Smith & Wesson, Colt, or Webley revolvers.[17]. Following my local gun show today, I am now a proud owner of a gorgeous No.4 Mk.1 rifle. The right side has 1931 under the crown and a 32 on top of barrel. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Presumably modified during the war to the later specs. The 380/200 Mk I lead bullet cartridge was continued in service, originally restricted to training and marksmanship practice. The caliber is .38, and the piece carries British proof marks. Shame the British couldnt come up with a better cartridge for such a nice little handgun. In regards to handguns, the British often dont get things right. This translates to reduced ease of firing and decreased accuracy, and generally the troops didnt like the change. 1 well) 1929, 1, 42, 52, 177 & 188 1930, 489 to 3965 [10] They were top-break single- or double-action,[8] and fitted with lanyard rings. Thanks for the tips! Each holster has a flap top with brass snap and an internal cleaning rod compartment (location . Minimum price for the offer must be greater than 0% of the Product. Price: $550.00 Maker: Enfield Model: No. This double-action only revolver has matching numbers on the frame, cylinder, and barrel with the metal retaining about 98-99% of a wartime phosphate finish having a noticeable turn-ring around . The British No4 Mk1 (T) was the primary sniper rifle used by the British and Canadian forces during the second world war. British Military revolver made in 1931. Don't know what happened to those pic. 4 (T). By 1887, a rival had emerged in the form of the .455-caliber Webley revolver, and by 1889 production of the Enfield revolver had ended. 2 revolvers to meet the military's wartime demands, and as a result Webley's Mk IV was issued as a substitute standard for the British Army. When reference is made to an all matching SMLE the serial numbers must all be the same. NO 2 MK1* ENFIELD w/pics. Enfield Number 4 Mk1 1931 Trials Rifle converted to a 1933 Trails Rifle. I am trying to do some research on the Enfield No 2 mk 1, Mk 1* and Mk 1 ** revolvers and would like some help from the forum. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. Contest void where prohibited by law. Germany rightly squawked about Britains use of lead bullets in World War II so the load was changed to a 178-gr. The .476 calibre Enfield Mk I and Mk II revolvers were the official sidearm of both the British Army and the North-West Mounted Police, as well as being issued to many other Colonial units throughout the British Empire. At left is a Winchester factory round The machinery was sold to India, where the 7.62x51mm 'Ishapore' Lee-Enfields were later manufactured. Serial number J1432. Manufacturer: RSAF Enfield Model: #2 MK 1 Serial Number: Z39XX Barrel Length: 5.5 inches Condition: Good Metal Condition: Good Wood Condition: Good Bore Condition . A very collectable rifle indeed, but by no means rare. 2 Mk 1 revolver is chambered for the 38 S&W, or 38/200 cartridge. ENFIELD No.2 Mk1. and in the original caliber. 5 Mk 1, unofficially nicknamed "Jungle Carbine.". The term "Enfield Revolver" is not applied to Webley Mk VI revolvers built by RSAF Enfield between 1923 and 1926. roundnose. Being in the 'A' serial number range, I believe this revolver was part of the very first production run in 1932. Here is a simple shadow board depicting the 4 most common Enfields. 1 - Download it using one of the two links at the right. BUT to be honest, these markings would be on the butt marking disc during that period and by then, in the Army, marking on the actual pistol was taboo. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. Revolver; Enfield No.2 Mk1; ENFIELD No.2 Mk1. I enjoy shooting my No.2 Mk1. The first was the MkI which had a full-spur hammer and was double-action/single-action, meaning the shooter could either thumb-cock the hammer before pulling the trigger or could pull the trigger with the hammer uncocked; some shooters preferred the latter option as the trigger pull is much lighter with the hammer cocked. 2 was a British top-break revolver using the .38 S&W round manufactured from 1930 to 1957. Thats a 260-grain bullet at 650 fps! Combined with the cumbersome nature of the revolver, and a tendency for the action to foul or jam when extracting cartridges, the Enfield Mk I/Mk II revolvers were never popular and eventually replaced in 1889 by the .455 calibre Webley Mk I revolver. It is highly collectable but not rare. The best way to ensure an item is yours is to purchase it directly off the website. and every thing hinges smoothly. Legacy Collectibles strives to provide quality investment-grade military collectibles to an appreciative public. Overall Length: 44.5". Which S&W? Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: American Handgunner Magazine, GOM DIY 2022, P.O. The new rifle was well regarded by the troops receiving them. This gun is chambered in 38 S&W. This gun is in good condition overall with some signs of wear. Since the trigger has to do the work of pulling back the hammer as well as firing, it takes considerably more finger pressure to fire this gun. Here are some of my guys; Very nice collection! Best to get an appraisal though, and like all things, firearms values fluctuate, more so here in Canada lately. Specs: Savage Enfield No.4 MK1*. Some SMLEs may be found with as little as a 3 digit number and high as a 5 digit number. The .455-inch cartridge used by the Webley revolvers was actually 0.441 inch (11.2 mm) and the design reflected the experience of the colonial wars. Contest open to U.S. residents only. No4 rifles were given a starting number that may be used to identify manufacturers, but again there was no set serial blocks. No purchase necessary. I also have a S&W Bodyguard in 38 special+ P. Sorry . This version was made until 1939, when a change order introduced the MkI*. Serial number C5942. If you don't have an account, create one here. 2 was a British top-break revolver using the .38 S&W round manufactured from 1930 to 1957. Two ** marking on frame for ID After all, that's why we had butt marking discs. British WWI & WWII Leather Brodie Helmet Carrier for Saddle or Sam Browne Belt. Box 1926, Escondido, CA 92033. The finish is worn in the areas around the serial numbers as a result. 2 Mk1* The British Service Revolver of WWII also known as the "tanker".Special thanks to ht. (I) Giveaway ends March 31, 2023. "Enfield no 2 revolver explained". Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: American Handgunner Magazine, GOM May/June 2023, P.O. Horton. This revolver is in good condition considering its age. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. There are now 25 states with so-called Constitutional carry and Florida appears to be approaching permitless carry, which translates to more citizens Had Dick Casull listened to the experts of the time the .454 Casull would never have arrived. The Enfield Revolver was a self-extracting British handgun designed and manufactured at the government-owned Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield, initially in the .476 calibre (actually 11.6mm).[1]. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. Create an account or login in order to post a comment. 7 day inspection period on all website purchases. It has a lanyard loop on the bottom of . . The prefixes were assigned as follows: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T ,U, V, W, Y ,Y, Z, AA, AB, AC. 0 Schematic w/ Parts List Enfield MK I, No.2 MK I Schematic W/ Parts List.

10 Ways To Prevent Communicable Diseases, Random Trivia Generator, What Insurance Does Visionworks Take, Ben Stiller Teeth Something About Mary, Articles E

enfield no2 mk1 revolver serial numbers