gray painted brick fireplace: before and after

It is a softer hue to dark brown or black and an edgy, moody tone for light brown, beige, and white brick fireplace colors. . The bookcases are prefinished by the cabinet manufacturer, white with a pewter glaze. Dash a second or third coating point if necessary. Painting your brick fireplace a shade of beige or "greige" (a cross between grey and beige) is a great option to keep the contrast between the fireplace and wall while not having dark colors that can close up the space. On one hand, having your office space right next to the kitchen is handy. Latex paintI have heard it is not the best for painting brick, it isnt breathable. This one here just made the surface look newer with a fresh coat of white paint. Initially,the spots were very subtle, but this summer the brown spots continued to emerge- covering the entire span of my fireplace surround (pictured above). Chalk Board Fakery. ListenI am ALWAYS in the camp of making your home a place where YOU love to be, and if you love the look of painted rock or brick like I do, I say GO FOR IT! The Most Stunning DIY Bookcase Makeover On The Internet. Scrub the entire surface using a heavy-duty cleaner. Paint Tray Step 1: Pour concrete stain into the tray and using the roller paint the stain on the walls. (love this look best for interior). 15 FAQ's: Whitewashed Brick Fireplace In addition to the wine storage, we incorporated a beverage refrigerator, an ice maker, and a sink. Adding that shiplap wall is a fine incorporation. When my client had to move from her company office to work at home, she set up in the dining room. If you have the time and money to splurge on a major brick fireplace makeover, you can invest in a two-toned gray brick fireplace and go for a more ornate firebox like this one. On the other hand, it made separating work and home life was not that easy. Whitney knocked it out of the park with Romabio Classico lime wash in Avorio White. Whaddaya think? We have 18 Images about Would you paint this fireplace white? You can also see how we painted our old stone fireplace white and the 3 reasons we converted our wood-burning fireplace (its been magical!). Rustic design schemes are always timeless. However, the easiest and quickest method is to roll the primer onto the face of the brick. Because working from home requires many online meetings, we added a shiplap wall painted in Hale Navy to contrast with the orange fabric on the chair. What is a good finish for a brick fireplaces mantel? Ever seen a green fireplace bloc? We finished the dcor with a painting from my clients father. You might not believe it, but a red brick fireplace is more versatile than how you think it is. More like this More like this This detail created a visual division between the bar area and the seating area in front of the fireplace. Items to Prepare : gray paint, water, brush, and absorbent rag. So it was an easy decision. You can wipe it off for a worn look or water it down. ), gas log kit | tray | similar jar | similar tray | planter. (21 Options). Depending on the brick's original color and the paint you . For a charming, misty look, this asymmetrical, floor to ceiling, rustic brick fireplace is spruced up into a modern suburban look with this light gray brick fireplace revamp. We are exactly that. The previous bare, unpainted brick was due for a modern upgrade so we decided to paint it. The raised height of the front bar provides the perfect wine tasting and paring spot. The reddish-brown brick exposes them and the best way to clean them up and make sure that they do not appear again is painting it down with a translucent, grayish-white effect. Oil based paint finishes are still the best choice for brick fireplaces mantel. I have definitely learned my lesson. The finish is opaque and durable giving the painted brick a matte, authentic look of historical brick. ), having them take care of painting our brick fireplace white would be an easy add-on. The top half is now modern paneled instead of its previous bare wood backdrop. It is done by applying a dash of watered-down paint giving the brick a light layer of paint and a washed, translucent look. There is ample storage for bottles, cans, glasses, and anything else you can think of for a great party. Good good fortune with your task! 1. Related: 33+ Best Fireplace Ideas and Designs. She says that some red brick still shows through, but she loves the end result. Limewashing your brick and painting with a similar color will help your smaller ranch home feel more elevated and larger. When I first moved in to my 1980s ranch home, I knew one of the first DIY projects I would tackle was a brick fireplace transformation. Painting A Brick Fireplace. Step 3: Finishing the Washing Process by Using Gray Paint. I also recommend laying down plastic sheeting to protect your flooring. She already had the EuroCave refrigerator, so I incorporated it into the design. Press lightly so that the roller doesn't get down into the grout. Any suggestions for a color to paint the mantel? Good luck in your many painting adventures. When it came time for Allison Elefante to put her stamp on her newly acquired home's living room, she turned her attention to the fireplace and built-ins taking up one wall. Throwing in a new set of modern looking furniture sealed the deal for this one. The cabinets are painted Temptation Grey from Benjamin Moore. (she said I could share:)). 2 - Tape off areas around the fireplace so paint won't spill over onto walls, floor, or mantel. 2- Metal. The formal living room is adjacent to the front door and foyer area. Use a dry mop to remove dust from spots on the wall or fireplace you can't reach. Didn't know you could do that? From the reddish brown tones of traditional brick, the whole thing is changed to a sandy, more limestone color on a contrast of white mortar. Next, if your brick has never been painted, apply 1-2 coats of primer. We kept all of the existing architectural features of this home including cove ceilings, wood floors moldings. That was time well-spent, Leslie! The mantel is painted with the same gray color and the thoughtful placement of family pictures make it more intimate. Elegant living room library photo in New York with a standard fireplace and a brick fireplace. Mineral paint soaks into the brick and it easy to touch up, a flat finish and is best for exterior! The 5 Best Paint Colours to Go With a Red or Red-Orange Brick Fireplace This is one of the easier bricks as it suits a variety of paint colours! ;). First of all, limewash is not intended to be applied directly as it is quite dense. It is a 1950s two story brick colonial that was in major need of some updates. Fireplace With Built-In Bookshelves. So if youre asking the question, What color should I paint my brick fireplace? and youre wondering about white, keep reading! The color is Sherwin Williams arctic white. After the new siding, they painted the brick the same color! New Epoxy floors. Use a small paint brush for backup especially for those hard-to-reach spots. So keep that in mind. I love natural beauty myself but some of these are ugly before the paint. You can also do full coverage, depending on your technique. The last and best part of the renovation is the beautiful bar. haha! ft./Ea). Without reservation, my client said where do we start? This house is nestled in the suburbs of Detroit. Then, use your plastic brush and/or a hand vacuum attachment to clean up all the dust, ash, and debris. In order to add architectural details, we covered the old ugly support columns with simple recessed millwork panels. 2. Her advice: Do it and Dont look back!. It makes the room brooding and moody, keeping it warm, cozy and at the same time sophisticated. We often use this product as it is perfect to install on a concrete floor. Which is better: To stain or paint on a brick fireplace? In addition, there was everything her family could not store at their own homes. She said that the primed the brick first, then sprayed it and went back with rollers. So informative and I freakin love it completely white and these are great tips, I was worried about that exact same thing with ours but so far we've had no issues. People are so brilliant & creative! The cohesive look is owed to the white walls and very minimal accent decors including these two potted plants here. The white mantel is changed into mahogany brown color and the casing of the fireplace screen is changed into a sleeker design instead of this old and ornate firebox. This living room, which integrates with The Avangard style is quite dominated by dark color. Craftsman Style Fireplace. Another minimalist take on brick fireplaces would be retouching an old one with a splash of gray paint. This is meant for creating the grayish look you want on the brick surface. Step 1: Prep Area to Gray Wash Brick Fireplace First off, lightly brush over the entire surface with your wire brush to remove any loose bits of brick and mortar. Id recently given birth to our first child, and the amount of time and effort it would take for me to do this painted brick fireplace project myselfwith an infantwas just too much at the time. A black fireplace adds vibrancy and contrast against the white wall finishes. Her tip for choosing a color is to paint big boards and hold it up against the house on all sides and in all lighting conditions. Its cool to notice how much the area around the fireplace really effects the look of your room overall. Proving these would be these ideas here. See more . Choose a crisp white for a sleek design, or a warm white to lean into white's coziness potential. It is a softer hue to dark brown or black and an edgy, moody tone for light brown, beige, and white brick fireplace colors. Here are some ideas to consider. (Although you can see here they taped it off at first, before we asked them to add it back in.). [Photography by Jessica I. Miller], Cottage open concept medium tone wood floor family room photo in Atlanta with beige walls, a standard fireplace and a brick fireplace, A Surprise Design Makeover for a Pittsburgh Family Home, Design: Niche Interiors Are red brick fireplaces already outdated? Cover your mantle and the floor surrounding your fireplace with drop cloths since you will drip! How amazing is this fireplace room transformation? It is plain easy to paint a brick fireplace because you can directly dab it with color. Behance. Clean the brick fireplaces surface thoroughly. This barn house, chimney style, gas, and wood fireplace, is undeniably covered in soot. Lay down drop cloth. The coves, frames and moldings are all painted a bright white with light gray paint on the walls. Use an angled paintbrush to paint the mortar lines, painting around a few bricks at a time. And doing it in time for winter is just the best deal that you could ever go for and this one proves that. The addition of this central accent piece and the plant at the corner completes the look. Sometimes, it is all in the detail. We ended up going over the paint with Limewash and it worked really well. There are so many options for a complete fireplace transformation. 4. (There's a drawer in there too.) The last step you need to do in this project is finishing the color-washing process by using gray paint. She used two coats. DIY Floating Shelves- Get the Custom built-in look with Wallpaper! Brick Fireplace Before Planked Fireplace Makeover After @ The Lettered Cottage Another beautiful mantel makeover by Layla at the Lettered Cottage. A Dark Fireplace Now Surrounded by Neutrals. I could totally swing that. If you're painting exterior brick, use . The white wood mantle is refurbished to a black coat. Related: 59+ Elegant Corner Fireplace Ideas for Your Home. Shop for a mantel Before Photo Becky Harris 3. Naked brick is essentially low maintenance so, compared to a painted brick, you could say that it is a tad high maintenance. The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed the built-in oak bookcase to the left of our soon-to-be-painted brick fireplace. This is when I decided to fully commit to the painted brick look. What a fun post! 3. And continued with Lola Faith and Finn! The brick soaked up the color readily. It can be as simple as a fresh paint job on unfinished or previously painted brick. The old red brick on the fireplace surround was replaced with stack stone. Apartment therapy has an incredible collection of before/after photos where homeowners have turned a dreary fireplace into a cozy and fun living space. It was all out of date and out of style. It became more rewarding when I started preparing the nest for my first, Ella Grace. And while I couldnt stand my dated fireplace, I wasnt too concerned about the investment required to transform it, because I had seen plenty of bloggers posting tutorials on Pinterest recounting how they successfully whitewashed or painted their own brick fireplaces. The elongated textured brick fireplace surround accentuates the play between old and new. Before: Dark and Dated Fireplace Lisa Romerein The fireplace in this 1907 Craftsman home featured charming details but lacked polish. Their blog is a fantastic source for fireplace makeover inspiration. The most expensive range for painting brick fireplaces would be $200-800. Sowhat went wrong in my living room? 2. 1. You can make it work. Read page 1 of our customer reviews for more information on the HOUSE OF MOSAICS Gatsby Gray Backsplash 3.93 in. Related: 36+ Best Stone Fireplace Ideas and Designs. With the use of carefully chosen trinkets to line the mantel and hearth, you can keep the holiday mood burning and your spirits warm and alive. She said it was EASY to do as a DIY if you use their masonry brush. Way to go on this charming transformation, Melissa! It is not a latex paint which would seal the brick, creating the moisture problems we just spoke of. Score: 4.6/5 (39 votes) . Apply a cleaning solution of dish soap or all-purpose cleaner and water to the brick with a clean cloth or rag. Then, paint / highlight the raised areas of the stone to add depth. She said the brick was a bit old and required a stiff brush for the mortar. See my post with tips on fireplace mantel styling! white in the areas we did in this in house. The space can be concealed by a folding screen for party time. Sometimes you appreciate hiring things out SOOOOOO MUCH MORE when youve DIYed them yourselves before. Nothing major is changed, including the open brick firebox, the wall art, and the metal stand. I love the way the Sherwin Williams paint in Oyster White cleans up the look while the darling gray shutters balances both sides of the rambler. Faux painting brick over a previously painted white brick fireplace (this post) 2. If we hadn't spotted that staining, I might have been tempted to paint the brick teal ( because teal) or maybe white to match the walls. Deanne brightened the whole room by using Behr Ultra Bright White on the paneling and brick. Even though white and bright colored spaces are very popular right now, sometimes the change that will make a room pop is a dramatic contrast something like these black and white ideas we shared recently. Speaking of a more balanced tone, here is how you make a standout, corner fireplace with an all-gray tone. I knew if I didnt like the whitewash effect, I could always paint over it entirely. Copyright 2023 Designing Vibes - Interior Design, DIY and Lifestyle. The knotty pine paneling had to go. Because the painters were already in the space with all their paint, dropcloths, and other equipment, they charged next to nothing to add in painting the red brick fireplace. Continue to 21 of 41 below. We relocated doors and tore open a wall to make that happen. To conclude, painted brick fireplaces are some of the most low-cost ways to improve the look of outdated brick fireplaces. You have entered an incorrect email address! We have mentioned this somewhere here but to answer this, the recommended paint to be used in painting brick fireplaces should be indoor, high-resistant, latex paints (flat, semi-gloss, or gloss). Bonus- no chemicals, like regular paint. 25 Pros & Cons of Dark vs Light Hardwood Floors: The Ultimate List. Prime the brick fireplace using an oil base, stain blocking primer to prevent soot in staining your fireplace. So lovely! Thanks to floor-to-ceiling windows it invites nature into the house. Photo by Martin Vecchio. Footloose and fancy free with the white paint. White on white? I have no problem re-doing it myself with primer first down the road if that happens, and at least I'll know what the heck is going on. The caveat is that you need to make sure you use the RIGHT type of paint for your specific application. Supplies needed How much paint do I need to paint a fireplace? Prepping the new fireplace makeover First thing, we started by cleaning the brick with soap and water to remove the dust and soot. HGTV does not have before and after images, but they do present an assortment of amazing atmospheres created by specific types of fireplace decorating. Should we keep them? Choosing alternative, bright paints for the brick fireplace is thinking outside the box and none of them really disappoint. She brushed hers, but says spraying would have been much quicker! The only plan here is to change the paint color into two layers of cement gray paint. Painting decorative graphics on a wall. The walls were covered with original knotty pine paneling. Thanks for reading! What color to paint the fireplace surround? The gray from www.pinterest.com. (I am admitted picky, but it pays off, people! Related: 33+ Best Fireplace Makeover Ideas and Designs On A Budget. The office space is quite and removed from the main part of the basement. Use a lighter hand and less paint to allow the previous coat to show through. 1. While I typically do like the character and texture that brick adds to a space, I felt this particular variety of brick was tragically dated. Hence, here are some FAQs about painted brick fireplaces to put in mind. The process goes really quickly, but I'll warn you it's a little messy. If you have ever considered painting your brick fireplace white, I highly encourage you to read todays cautionary tale. Finally, I selected carpet for the stairs and office. Used the same Romabio Lime Wash in Avorio White on this stunning makeover. Please throw those bookshelves into your paint plans too. Grey Paint Cozy Cottage Design Bright White Atmosphere Better Homes & Gardens Along with black, it is one of the go-to paints used directly on brick fireplaces. The laundry room wall was relocated to create a hallway to the office. 03 of 14. Since you live in a dry climate, I would think you are in the clear (fingers crossed). Just to give you a transition image of the effect of dark grey paint to a wall fireplace, this makeover here makes a solid reference. As a result, a stainblocking primer, is a must! To visualize these steps, here is a tutorial which you can check out. Preparing for a rustic themed holiday with family? The brightness of white gives the room a lot of natural light and crisp lines that can match anything. More than that, you are also accentuating the wall fireplace in a standout corner like this one here. Craig likes to use DAP Alex Plus caulk for woodwork and trim to be painted. Where a brick foundation on a two-story home can make it feel grounded, on a ranch it can make it feel squat and diminished. The firebox is changed into a black colored one, dropping the formerly bronze firebox. I love her bold choice of using Valspar Ocean Slumber on her fireplace! Primer exists for a reason, my friends. Gently wash the brick and mortar with a scrub brush. How to Frame a Refrigerator that is too Wide for Opening, Modern Farmhouse Bedroom Refresh on a Budget, Installing Flooring Over Existing Ceramic Tiles. I told her If this was my house, I would have painted it before I unpacked my underwear. Weve been friends for a long time so she knew what I would say before she even asked.. yet she still held off. Check out the beautiful transformation. Inspiration for a mid-sized transitional enclosed and formal light wood floor living room remodel in Kansas City with gray walls, a standard fireplace, a brick fireplace and no tv. Now the columns and chimney match her cute siding color! Kelly applied a German Schmear technique to her exterior brick to have this more subtle, lightened-up look. We managed to search for some notable styles for a brick fireplace, so sift through and find the best painted brick fireplace idea for your home. Unlike brick, metal surfaces are more difficult for paint to properly stick. From that warm, colonial revival look, it became a coastal boho vibe. But if you want more versatile choices and easy to work with colors, choosing from different tones of neutrals is still the best choice. There is interior and exterior fireplace paint and it is different from the paint you use for sheetrock walls. With a bit of whimsy, a rather unusual light fixture which looks like roots from a tree growing through the ceiling is a conversation piece. Gray Brick Fireplace with Rustic Mantel We love it because it is easy to do and easy to change. The white mantel and frame are also repainted with a new coat of coral white paint as well as the accent decors. Let us just allow this transformation to speak for itself. A painting brick fireplace creates a beautiful focal point in your spaces. Join my newsletter subscription and get a chance to get your design question answered LIVE or on the blog! Here is another contemporary take on vintage brick fireplaces. Once you've cleared all accessible debris with the brush, use an industrial shop vacuum to clean the area around the fireplace. I wonder if thats all they charged us forremoving the plastic theyd already put up? Many newer fireplaces are crafted from metal. Apply to the brick with a clean rag and, using a scrub brush, work the paste. Note that paints are only good for the exterior and never on the fireboxs interior. Try painting it with a light layer of black paint and white mortar in between. (Like when we paid these guys to paint our dry bar cabinets white.) We also converted our fireplace to a magically instant, totally realistic-looking gas fireplace, the story of which you can read about our downstairs stone fireplace here (with 5 reasons why we did it)! The traditional brick fireplace with white mantel is transformed into a bright, modern look with the warm tones of stained wood mantel. Or, in our case, before all the furniture got moved in. You will need heat-resistant paint that can attach itself to a metal surface. If you want a trendier, more colorful brick fireplace, there is no limit to the colors that you can refurbish it with. Lay down your drop cloths to protect the surrounding floor and furnishings. The fireplace, which sits unused for much of the year, roars to life in all its blazing glory. I have 18 years experience at a design firm. Paint the metal fireplace doors and vents with Rustoleum high heat enamel spray paint. If you apply too much in one area, use a rag or sponge to soak it up. A lighter color keeps things open and bright. The good thing about painting a brick fireplace is that it is the most inexpensive way to remodel one. Abigail is in the process of making this home her own. HGTV does not have before and after images, but they do present an assortment of amazing atmosphere's created by specific types of fireplace decorating. Which room should you work on first? Talking about "failures" make for the most useful posts on the net! Well, you can. My client looked at me and asked what I thought. I had, Double tap if you arent a fan of a bright overh, Homemade Christmas Gift Tags and a Birthday Party. Doors to an old closet under the stairs were relocated to the workout area for hidden storage. and my fingers to put mortar in all of my grout lines and . Painted Grey Brick Fireplace - Photos & Ideas | Houzz Get Ideas Photos Kitchen & DiningKitchenDining RoomPantryGreat RoomBreakfast Nook LivingLiving RoomFamily RoomSunroom Bed & BathBathroomPowder RoomBedroomStorage & ClosetBaby & Kids UtilityLaundryGarageMudroom Browse through the largest collection of home design ideas for every room in your home. When it comes to updating brick fireplaces, the cheapest and easiest method to do so would be directly coating the whole thing with a fresh dash of paint. Use a wire scrub brush to remove dirt and dust, and vacuum up any debris. I personally love the look and installed brick specifically to paint it in my house! (Bahahahahaha!?). Destiny completely transformed her exterior with Sherwin Williams Alabaster exterior paint. how we updated the rest of this sitting room! Or it can be a simple construction project, where you cover up the brick with drywall, wood, or tile. The chairs are Mid-Century Modern style and the love seat is custom-made in gray leather. Love this, Courtney! Off-White Exterior Brick Color This painted brick before and after is an absolute game-changer. The fireplace enclosure is also updated to sleek black from the previous glass and gold trims. It flows and tools well and DAP states that it can be painted over in 30 minutes. To make everything look cohesive, the pastel-colored walls are changed to a more neutral look of beige and moss green. 04 of 41 The house was built in the 1950s. Painting rock, brick, or masonry is a bit more of a commitment than painting a wall and it can even be controversial to some! I was the exact same way, Mary. If you intend to go down that remodeling route, here are the steps in painting a brick fireplace. All our house projects can be found here. Is this all were going to do to this painted brick fireplace? The effect of gray, white, and ivory tones in this upgraded, brick fireplace bedroom matches the balanced monochrome of this overhauled room. 59+ Elegant Corner Fireplace Ideas for Your Home, 33+ Best Fireplace Makeover Ideas and Designs On A Budget, 53+ Best Fireplace Tile Ideas and Designs, Electric Fireplace Guide 101- Whats, Why, Hows of These Fire Mimickers, Gas Fireplace Pilot Light On But Wont Ignite, Why an Outdoor Kitchen with Fireplace is the Perfect Family Project, 34 Different Types Of Ceilings and Their Pros and Cons, A Guide to Stylish Home Decor Display Ideas. Start with a tiny amount of highlights. Sheetrock was peeled back to reveal the exposed brick chimney, we sourced a new mantel with dental molding from architectural salvage, and completed the surround with green marble tiles in an offset pattern. As per rule of thumb, the recommended colors to paint the fireplace surround would still be neutral colors. When you paint over a red brick with white paint it can yellow over time. The whole fireplace and hearth took me less . Black Brick Fireplace with Wood Mantel and Stone Hearth Photo Credit: www.brightgreendoor.com Black paint on a brick fireplace helps take this room from the 70s to a stylish and sleek modern space. While the whitewashed brick was a vast improvement from the dated, orange brick- within a year or so- I began to dislike the whitewash effect which left some of the brick slightly exposed. Glossy, white, latex paint now covers a previously distressed-looking brick fireplace. It's like having your own interior designer , life coach (and drinking buddy) for FREE. ITS JUST PAINT! It will penetrate the brick and not flake off. Next, apply non-sudsy trisodium phosphate (also called TSP). 12.0.1 DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A PICTURE! Repeat until the entire fireplace is completely covered with the topcoat. A.K.A. Photo by Benjamin Benschneider. No secret, I am! 3 - Pour paint into mixing bucket and then dilute the Classico Limewash 50% -100% with water and mix completely. So I started by mixing the limewash paint and water at 1:1 ratio. Here's a full shot of the fireplace and surround before: Maybe you remember seeing a tiny snippet of our painted fireplace when i shared how i put together a corner of our family room a couple of months ago. Then, use a brush to get into the spaces the roller can't reach, like deep mortar lines. Variety. There was a wood burning fireplace and considering this was a basement, high ceilings. Another inexpensive and go-to remodeling scheme is whitewashing brick. Next, gently dab the brick you want to paint with the sponge. Lightening up a room in 5 steps. Her husband built the mantel out of pine! Some of our favorites are below. Sarahs exterior paint helps her cute house pop. Custom bookshelves and lower storage cabinets were also installed, overseen by antiqued-brass picture lights. You can also do full coverage, depending on your technique. Russet and burnt orange became the accent color unifying each space. Keep in mind that painted interior brick vs exterior painted brick should be treated differently. But you got this!!! It allows the paint to adhere much better to brick. When Its Smart To Hire Out! (My rhyming tagline.). From distressed, farmhouse vibe to a chic farmhouse look, you can see how a small splash of paint could do so much. Black and White Brick Fireplace Makeover. Im unsure about the color of my fireplace mantel. I think it just reassuring if you are nervous, it is a normal feeling. The formal living area in this Brooklyn brownstone once had an awful marble fireplace surround that didn't properly reflect the home's provenance. Rehabbing your fireplace doesn't have to mean a major construction project, though. For a more textured look, this conventional looking central fireplace for a small living room is turned to matte gray. Since they do not sport a rigid warm or cool tone, they can essentially complement any color scheme. From the warm tones of an old Craftsman home and simple side shelving and cabinetry, this is another proof how plain whitewashing is a convenient idea. The mantel and firebox look are maintained, and even then, it still gets a revamped look like no other.

What Does Kurt Warner Do Now, Australian Federal Election 2022 Odds, Estudio Dela Atalaya De Esta Semana, Indycar Mechanic Salary, Prayer Against Wicked Leaders, Articles G

gray painted brick fireplace: before and after