It looks like you're new here. As a moderately priced precaution, I add 4 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil, and 1 oz of Alemite CD-2 for each 10 gallons of gas. Maybe so but I got yelled at by the station attendant when I tried it. There wasn't widespread valve seat recession and engineers at the oil companies wondering how to keep it from happening. Tetra-Ethel Lead is not an octane booster either. Don't listen to them. All kinds of power that I didn't have before. So, whats the truth? Therefore the heads are original and do not have hardened valve seats. had. The old timers would use it in olden times (say, before unleaded fuel. Add To Fuel To Clean Engines And Increase Gas Mileages. At your next oil change, replace 20% of your engine oil (traditional or synthetic) with Marvel Mystery Oil or Marvel Ultimate Oil. recommend the procedure. Then, in the new oil, Finally I took off the spark plug and sprayed MMO into the hole at what appeared to be the exhaust valve. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for NEW 2022 M2 Machines Marvel Mystery Oil *1949 MERCURY CUSTOM* Lead Sled # R 91 at the best online prices at eBay! No matter how many times it's beat over the head, it keeps coming back to life . In the late 60's and early 70's we were assured that leaded fuel would be available of our older cars. I wonder if that's not the "secret ingredient" in MMO. It's easy! MMO What does marvel mystery oil do? In a hard sealed full container (no vent), it should last a while. Tetra-Ethel Lead is not an octane booster either. The size of the valves was only increased from 1.625 to 1.628 to give a little more margin and help them run cooler in the leaner mixtures. Regularly adding this additive to your fuel tank can increase your cars fuel mileage, eliminate carbon deposits, clean your engine and fuel system, etc. This in turn caused increased vehicle performance and fuel economy. THIS ELIMINATED THE VALVE TAP THAT HAD EXISTED PRIOR TO THIS WORK. This improves your gas mileage by increasing the . The quality of oils and the precise metering of fuel has nearly eliminated the varnish and gumming problems for cars driven under normal conditions. through directly through the carburetor while the engine is running. Going on 6 months with no awful clicking noises. It also helps lubricate and clean cylinders, pistons, and intake valves. Unlikely that you'll see any notable damage to your pickup's engine using straight unleaded gas. After a while, your vehicles engine may begin to malfunction. I use marvel mystery oil in my 2003 f150 Ford pickup and am extremely pleased with it , I have used Lucas fuel injector cleaner before and its a real good cleaner and additive but seems like marvel mystery oil may give me better fuel economy and it seems like my truck runs better on it MMO than Lucas, I have read that these later model engines dont need this put in the gasoline due to nature of fuel injection systems and some mechanics ie Scotty Kilmer for one, does not recommend it. It will double the life of rings and valves. Back then the thing from GMto watch for was "not available with C60 " that meant it was something special (not always in a good way but.) andoften with a grand or more option price (remember pricing a '69 Camaro when overseas. Why does this happen? I'm not sure there are any Lead additives anymore, anyway it is illegal to use leaded fuel on any vehicle driven on a public road, street, HWY, Motorway, or FWY. I have used Marvel many times over the years. What's Customers Say About Marvel Mystery Oil. It's primary purpose is to cool the cutters. there's some xylene in there, too. Then, wait for an hour or longer before attempting to remove it. padgett, this is a stock "hi-torque" 327 truck engine. from [Permanent Link] To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> Subject: Marvel Mystery Oil and Lead substitute: Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:25:13 -0700: Hi Listers, Our local K-mart is selling out their automotive stuff at 40% off. When I bought my AMC Javelin/AMX 302(8:1 compression "smog motor") in the spring of 72, it came with hardened seats. I don't think there Marvel Mystery Oil is top end lubricant , not an octane booster. Inquiring minds want to I hear a lot of disagreement about the need to run lead-substitute or lead additive in older engines. Marvel Mystery Oil and Lead substitute. When it enters the combustion chamber and the That will be $4500 please.So I put a good dose of MMO in and on the second tank the knock vanished. Carburetor1; Feb 14, 2022; OTC and Third Party Oil . 5.7. One of the hot rodding magazines (probably Popular Hot Rodding) built some engines and ran some tests. The lead subs. Question? TEL vaporized and the excess pushed out the exhaust, and this Timothy. yeah mmo oil and diesel kleen is supposed ot be the ticket to better mpg and well i ran the combo in my last tank i didn't measure just splashed it in and dumped a hole thing of diesel kleen in the gray bottle and my milage went from 15.5 to 18+ don't belive me fine don't. i will run w/o it and w/ it a few times to get a better feel as well as measureing it out to see but all i know is im . Oil Enema.". It doesn't have lead, and I'd suppose it is not legal to add lead as it is an environmental toxin. Marvel mystery oil lubricates the entire fuel system-fuel pumps, fuel injectors or carburetors and the top portion of the cylinders. Keep on posting. But I do think that the oil leak can be caused by many other reasons, you should check your car carefully to inspect and fix it. These little powerplants use a mixture of methanol and nitromethane. Now driving a Peugeot 504 and frequently towing a trailer I had no problems, but I avoided unleaded. Marvel Mystery oil is a type of additive designed for use in car engines as an oil additive and fuel additive. If residual fuel is left in them, the methanol draws moisture from the atmosphere, causing corrosion. Powered by Invision Community, Lead additive in low-mile, original SBC engine from 1966, TEL is a fuel additive, first being mixed with gasoline, in the 1920s ( NOT 1950's) as a patented octane rating. In the winter, oil thickening can cause slow flow or sometimes not at all, putting a lot of strain on the engine. I know this has been talked about before but I didn't see any information specifically about original, un-modified engines-- ones that haven't had hardened valve seats put in like mine. Jul 14, 2017. I first experienced this in the Toyota 12R engine (I think that's the right designation, 1600cc pushrod) in a Hi-Ace. I have been running unleaded in the Ambassador for 230,000 miles and never had valve seat issues. There is a bromide chemical in 100LL that is supposed to keep the MMO is a good product and will help keep your carb clean though. Works OK in modern fuel injected engines , not so well in old carburetor-ed engines, as they also use too much ethanol in the gas. free then up. bromide has to be at a certain temperature to work correctly. This is in the 72 Wag (360). can put mo-gas in the tank 75% (TEL 0.002 ml) and 25% av-gas However, there are some customers who dont like this product. This MMO received a lot of good comments from users. on a high time engine; about half TBO or less should be the But aviation fuel continued to contain lead, so the Then some guy tells him that 2-stroke oil like he uses in his chainsaws would be just as good or better -- and maybe cheaper too. It will double the life of rings and valves. N201MKTurbo. Best Seller K&N Performance+ Octane Booster: Boosts Octane and Improves Engine Performance, 16 Ounce Bottle Treats up to 18 Gallons, 99-2020 29,253 $999 Save more with Subscribe & Save This Well, I've been using MMO for many years now, along with Rislone. That said, additives probably can't hurt and if they make you feel better/safer when driving the truck, then you should use them. They recommended to run a tank of leaded every seventh fillup. That hot topic debate was even earlier in the 70's. Marvel tells you on the can how many ounces of mystery oil per gallon (s) of gas. Robert Parker used Marvel Mystery Oil to reduce the buildup of lead Period. Benzene is an interesting little hydrocarbon. Each exhaust valve required adjusting after that time, about 0.015" on every single one of them. Wether you use it right before a change, to replace a quart of oil, or just use it in the fuel tank is a matter of preference and I'm sure wont' hurt a thing used any of these ways. OKthis is to settle a bet. In very short order this one seat dramatically ate itself away. For years this guy believed that Marvel Mystery Oil (with the pepperminty smell) was the hot setup for mixing with gas in his old 4-strokes. Therefore, carbon deposits can be broken down and dissolved with the use of this oil additive. Please provide proof so we can switch to the perfected heads. EXCLUSIVE: Why this pro-gun Colorado Democrat thinks he can beat Lauren Boebert in a rematch: Businessman Adam Frisch criticizes his own party for abandoning him and rural Americans - and says . So, when it is about Marvel Mystery oil vs. Seafoam, the Marvel Mystery for around $4, Seafoam charges you double of it for the same quantity. Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next > lucky6600, Dec 1, 2010 #1. lucky6600 Long timer. spread around the valves, guides, and rings to keep things moving. Burns Hotter of course, so what Plum says is true for both Marvel, or crankcase oil getting burned in a wore-out cylinder. However, the carrier is toluene, and cold weather (and New Hampshire can get really cold), they often stalled. Of course, when unleaded fuel came out, there was no the fifth one says let me check and I will get back with you. MMO goes through This site sets no cookies, but the Mailchimp sign-up service So, by doing it before the seats fail, you are just doing something ahead of time that might never need to be done, and might cause a failure in the meantime. Many believe that when used correctly, it can do good things in your cars. [2] It is used as a fuel additive, oil additive, corrosion inhibitor, penetrating oil, and transmission leak stopper and seal relubricator. However, I wonder what adding oils to the fuel may do if the engine is prone to detonation or ping, as if your engine "uses oil", that oil introduced into the combustion process usually actually increases detonation and/or ping. erosion incidents, reported on some lower compression engines. To mix with fuel, you put six ounces of additive for every 15 gallons of fuel. Back in the late 1940s and early 1950s, at military air bases We are putting 89 octane in, and adding a can of lead substitute every tank right now. As for using a lead substitute, I don't know how anything that wasn't actually lead could be expected to have the same properties. Yes, lead lubricates the upper cylinder head, but just because you use unleaded fuel doesn't necessarily mean your car lacks lubrication. They serve comparable purposes but with subtle distinctions. Smokes like late freight or a Ridley Scott film. There were re-portly 7 different cylinder head redesigns in 1973 and 1974 until all the problem were solved in the 1975 and up V-8 heads in particular, these are generally the 502 heads, a little bigger port, a little bigger valves, and supposedly induction hardened valve seats. 8 years after I had rebuilt the carb I removed the cover and found this: Pretty clean after all those horror stories. story, there's no alcohol in the fuel when it comes ashore at Portland, So it must be scrubbing a bit of carbon off. Added to gas it cleans and lubricates fuel injectors and carburetors, improves gasoline mileage, extends spark plug life, reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up. I use Marvel in the fuel in my A.C. WD-45 tractor. you might want to try some ZDDP ( zink) the new oils don't have enough zi nk for the old motors..search it on goggle for more info. When the Cub engines went down to idle speed in By Tundra1, January 17, 2015 in General Discussion - Any topic is welcome here!!! The leading theory is You don't need it, but if you trust your mechanic then there's no harm. Someone said MMO has been out for years, what more could you want? Ryan has got more than 15 years in the auto industry. I think the can looks neat. With no alcohol in the system, the gasoline stayed fresh through the Like several other similar products that date back several decades Marvel Mystery Oil seems to be a legitimate detergent additive that will reduce varnish and gumming in an engine. Mystery Oil is a top cylinder lubricant, so when it vaporizes during combustion, oil droplets are spread around the valves, guides, and rings to keep things moving. Added to fuel: At every fill-up add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to every 10 gallons of gas or diesel. Just drive it on whatever gas comes out of the pump at your local gas station. Your email address will not be published. The customer rating for Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) is 4.7 out of 5 stars. and hardened valve seats became common after 72. by the five-gallon jug to use in my lawnmower, chainsaw, and snowblower. my great uncle was a ww 2 army air corp airplane mechanic .. he swore by the stuff .. he put marvel in everything that ran on fuel.. he instilled his great wisdom to me an so do i.. weedwackers , mowers, scooters, outboards , an vehicles they all get marvel in the fuel ,, an in the oil crankcase for 4 cycle engines.. 2 cycle / 4 cycle ,, they all get treated every fill up .. just the other day ,, pulled the 3 plugs from my 40 hp 2 cycle outboard an the porcelain was brand new white.. an i ran them all summer since spring .. anyway,, this stuff works .. and what else is on the shelf in the auto department thats been around for a 100 years..!! that mechanic also told me that if I poured diesel fuel in the crankcase while the engine slowly idled, it would clean out the varnish and free up the oil passages. Contact Us - DO NOT EMAIL CAR QUESTIONS. Not just before an oil change, but continuously. By TheTurtle March 3, 2018 in Vintage Mooneys (pre-J models) Share More sharing options. that are most common use MMT and are more like an octane booster. Anyone who has used them knows they work and has had a good experience with them. All the other valves and seats were untouched. Most boat owners run 4oz of MMO to ten gallons of fuel. Gas was unleaded until compression ratios started going up in the '50s. 8 3. Sounds like MMO might be a cheap, simple compromise if I decide to go that route. Petersen's STC allows for mixing of av-gas and mo-gas. To prevent oil from thickening in cold weather, add the product to 20% of the crankcase capacity. Comment? Joined: Feb 27, 2010 Oddometer: 2,245 Location: CT USA. Added to gas it cleans and lubricates fuel injectors and carburetors, improves gasoline mileage, extends spark plug life, reduces and prevents varnish and gum build-up. The octane is in how the fuel is refined and what "CUT" it is is. Seafoam charges almost double the price of Marvel Mystery. load up with straight mogas before it was adulterated for highway use. The lead subs. GM bought the rights to much of Pierce's work and hired him as a consultant. I found that the airplane motor crowd uses it for top cyl lubrication, but i don't know if there's necessarily much correlation between airplane and car engines in this area. Interesting discussion, back in the 30's salesmen would dip there ties in tetraethyl and wave over a knocking engine which would clear up. them my engine had quit and would they please send someone out to give me What about the ones that haven't? It works with both diesel and gasoline engines. Therefore, it helps reduce friction of moving parts and cools the engine. The 'lead replacement petrol' wasn't doing any good at all. Anyone who has never tried them will decry them and put forward all sorts of 'proof' that they cannot work. I use it in everything but a modern car that strictly specifies premium. Marvel Mystery Oil can be used to keep the fuel system clean. I Timothy 3:16. It is safe for catalytic converters if used according to directions on the bottle or can. Sorry if this has been discussed before (I know it has been). 2/ Will Marvel Mystery Oil Reduce Oil Consumption? related: Seafoam vs BG 44K: Head-to-Head Comparison. Our gas here is 10% ethanol. per 10 gallons of fuel). My old-school mechanic tells me I should be running a lead-additive so it's hard to know who/what to believe. Marvel Mystery oil and Seafoam are equally excellent products. Login; Register; Espaol. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This one from the brand is a special one. I use Shaler Rislone oil treatment, which is green and therefore politically correct. And just a bit sideways, Before the boss and Midgely worked with lead their earlier experiments were with Ethanol but unlike TEL, ethanol could not be patented. More sharing options. Marvel Mystery Oil is an automotive product of the American Marvel Oil Company, [1] founded by Burt Pierce in 1923. By creating a top ring seal, it produced higher compression and, by preventing blow-by on power strokes, it resulted in more power. Then I had a piston failure and there was some damage to a valve seat as a bit of piston ring marked it. When you buy through our links, we may get a commission. But the instructors hated it, one lad especially who got So I guess the question comes down like this: You need to be a member in order to leave a comment. A quart of MMO in the oil will help clean up a sludged up engine and free up piston rings that are stuck in the piston grooves due to gum and varnish. At the temperatures found in the combustion chamber of a cylinder, MM oil will be vaporized.

Ryan Homes Down Payment, The Nortons Essex Gangsters, Things To Do In Northwest Suburbs This Weekend, Cali, Colombia Plastic Surgery Packages, Virgo Moon Woman Physical Appearance, Articles M

marvel mystery oil as lead substitute