quotes from the odyssey about odysseus being a leader

According to the article, The Nine Traits that Define Great Leadership, explain that an optimistic leader The very best leaders are a source of positive energy. The poet asks the Muse for inspiration to learn about the "man of twists and turns" and his arduous journey home. Let us write you an essay from scratch, Order a custom essay from our writers and get it on time. Written in the late 8th or 9th century BC, The Odyssey remains one of the all-time greatest quest stories. In order to save his men, Odysseus, drove them, all three wailing, to the ships, tied them down under their rowing benches, and called the rest. And now, look, it all comes to pass. Muse, tell me how he wandered and was lost when he had wrecked the holy town of Troy, and where he went, and who he met, the pain he suffered in the storms at sea, and how he worked to save his life and bring his men back home." Lines 1-7 Taste it, and see the kind of drink we carried under our planks Give me another, thank you kindly' The Cyclops drank three bowls of wine and became very drunk that was what Odysseus was trying to do so, A great leader has to possess certain qualities like being charismatic, responsible, competent, and determined. If I beg and pray you to set me free, then bind me more tightly still.". 16 students ordered this very topic and got original papers. A good leader would have taken his mens concerns into consideration. Often mortals will turn to the gods to help them achieve justice, and fear of divine . He encountered and overcame many obstacles that include fighting cyclops, monsters, giants and more. Where do you want us to send this sample? The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 305-308. Quote regarding Odysseus's trick on the Cyclops "My name is Nobody. The Odyssey [], The relationship between male and female is a key theme in the Odyssey and has been increasingly popular in recent scholarship. And how did his struggles end? The more complicated a character is, the more he or she engages these major themes. Odysseus is quick to decide that they should stay even if it meant potential danger. He was reliable and strong, and so he earned title of king in Ithaca and was treated with great respect. Homer (around 800 and 600 BCE) to show the numerous adventures and experiences Odysseus goes through. Latest answer posted January 22, 2021 at 1:12:04 PM, Latest answer posted December 06, 2020 at 10:35:48 AM. They are killed by the god Helios for their reckless action in consuming his cattle. Students who find writing to be a difficult task. The Odyssey Quotes and Analysis "Tell me, why do you weep and grieve so sorely when you hear the fate of the Argives, hear the fall of Troy? Odysseus is meeting with Tiresias (a blind prophet) to learn his future. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. The brilliant U.S. Army General Douglas MacArthur once said, A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. This description of a leader can be used when telling of the great adventures of Odysseus on his way home to Ithaca after fighting in the Trojan War. She is the [], After the events of the Trojan War, Odysseus and his men headed back home to Ithaca. Out to sea again! (Homer 984). ", "And now for his blinded son the earthquake god though he wont quite kill Odysseus drives him far off course from native land. Much have I suffered, labored long and hard by now in the waves and wars. However, Odysseus did not disclose any information to his crew. (2019, Nov 18). He might be intelligent but really he tolerably manipulated his crew by saying things such as dont you want to go back to your home again?. In book two of the story, Odysseus is again compared to the chief of all the gods, Zeus; and when Odysseus speaks, he imparts wisdom and good counsel that should be heeded by all. Athena tells Telemachus that Odysseus is alive and being held captive on a faraway island. The major themes in The Odyssey are especially significant because they serve to form the moral and ethical constitution of most of the characters. However, they Cicones attacked Odysseus men and killed 72 of them. Odysseus knew about this and wanted to spare his life. ", "Show me the way to town, give me a rag for cover, just some cloth, some wrapper you carried with you here. These quotes prove my claim because Odysseus played a trick on Polyphemus that worked out in his advantage to get out of the cave that he was trapped. Consequently, this gives him experience when it comes acting in difficult situations. Accessed 5 Mar. Odysseus fears his imminent death after Poseidon creates a storm at sea while he is sailing home from Calypsos island. But they themselves- in their depravity- design grief greater than the griefs that fate assigns." Homer, The Odyssey 228 likes Like "Ah how shameless - the way these mortals blame the gods. There were other points where Odysseus showed his bravery, like when he travelled to the underworld, and many more. Just do as I say. Telemachus is searching for news of his father, who has not been heard from since he left for war nearly 20 years earlier. The Odyssey. In The Odyssey, it is clear that Odysseus has earned the respect and status of a leader to Ithacas people. He is favored by the gods and respected and admired by the mortals. By god, I'd rather slave on earth for another man some dirt-poor tenant farmer who scrapes to keep alive He sings the praises of the brave and cunning Odysseus, credited with the idea of using the horse to deceive the Trojans. By continuing well assume you board with our cookie policy. This is Odysseuss response to the situation.After Circe releases his men from the spell, Odysseus spends a year with her (pg 506). Odysseus was waiting for the beastly one-eyed man ''beholden them for his help, or any gifts you give- as custom is to honor strangers." Did I not keep my That is not to say that Odysseus is a one dimensional man; he does, at times, persist when saving his men from the Cyclops. Students who find it difficult to write detailed essays. Odysseus is still a hero because he is a leader. Unfortunately, the inhabitants [], The Odyssey is a story about Odysseus return home, and the struggles he faces. The story of The Odyssey with Odysseus being a great leader has been told for many years and will be told many years to come. What a piece of work the hero dared and carried off in the wooden horse where all our best encamped, our champions armed with bloody death for Troy. Notably, Homers epic The Odyssey charts the journey of Odysseus and his men traveling from Troy to Ithaca. Straight forward they sprinted, lifted it and rammed it deep in his eye chater (Hom. When we do see him, he is generally described as being "godlike" or somehow connected to the gods because of his wisdom or bravery. I wished to see the cave man, what he had to offer- no pretty sight, it turned out, for my friends (155-157). This was a bad leadership on the part of Odysseus because he was unable to keep track of his men and possibly save and because he did know he needed to give the crewmember a funeral, something he is morally obliged to do. These quotes prove my claim because Odysseus played a trick on Polyphemus that worked out in his advantage to get out of the cave that he was trapped. In the tug of war for Odysseus' heart, it is Penelope who wins over Calypso. I can help you save hours on your homework. 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. Helen, the young woman over whom the Trojan War is being fought, provides some basic information on Odysseus. 2021 StudyDriver.com - Big database of free essay examples for students at all levels. The Odyssey, Book 6, lines 148-158. This shows how powerful a woman Penelope is. How can he stand his ground against the will of all the gods at once one god alone? But the hero of the Trojan war wishes that he had met his end more gloriously with his dead comrades on the battlefields of Troy. Being a leader is a very honorable and important status. While intelligence is highly respected, occasionally there isnt much you can do to avoid situations, and you just have to accept your. After stabbing the cyclopes in the eye and the cyclopes moving the boulder Odysseus had to think of a way to get his men out safely and this quote shows his intelligence and leadership skills "I tied them silently together, twining cords of willow from the cyclops's bed; then slung a man . . All that you say is true, how well I know. When he realizes his men are in danger, he is confident in an escape plan and taking the risks to go through with it. This pep talk motivated his crew and prepared them for what was to come in the future. He was emotionally strong and made his crew strong. This is despite her maids fleeing at the terrifying sight of him. After defeating the Cyclops, Odysseus taunted him, which made him very angry. It may be with us all our lives, or it may be many years or decades before we find it or it finds us. Why was Odysseus not a good leader? Especially among Gods and Goddesses. In the Odyssey, Odysseus states, I tied them [rams] silently together then slung a man under each middle one to ride there safely, shielded left and right. At Polyphemuss cave, Odysseus shows no fear confronting and speaking to the Cyclops in the beginning. Homer portrayed Odysseus as a man of outstanding wisdom and shrewdness, eloquence, resourcefulness, courage, and endurance. He thought of an elaborate, but organized way to blind Polyphemus after drugging him. Ino, as sea deity Leucothea, makes a dramatic appearance to save Odysseus from drowning in a violent sea whipped up by Poseidon. After his boat is wrecked and he is adrift on a heavy sea for two nights and days, Odysseus is overjoyed to see the shores of Phaeacia. Book 1 of The Odyssey is titled "Athena inspires the prince" and that is what the goddess is attempting to do. Latest answer posted September 17, 2018 at 7:55:02 PM. The lot fell upon the very four whom I should have chosen, and I myself made five. In the Iliad, whois responsible for the death of Achilles and who helps him? In The Odyssey, Homer illustrates the journey home to Ithaca taken by Odysseus and his men. In the Iliad, Odysseus appears as the man best suited to cope with crises in personal relations among the Greeks, and he plays a leading part in achieving the reconciliation between Agamemnon and Achilles. Read More Both he and Odysseus visited Antenor on a mission to arrange for the return of Helen, and Antenor talks about that visit here as he and others watch the preparations for the great duel, below the tower. He's on the final leg of his journey, and this grand tale has culminated in his finally coming near his goal. Strip off those clothes and leave your craft for the winds to hurl, and swim for it now, you must, strike out with your arms for landfall there, Phaeacian land where destined safety waits. No finer, greater gift in the world than that when man and woman possess their home, two minds, two hearts that work as one. Early in the poem we are informed that Odysseus had chosen one of his friends to be the overseer of his family and property. And no one there could hope to rival Odysseus, not for sheer cunning at every twist of strategy he excelled us all. "Wretched man what becomes of me now, at last? He took risk and find solutions to all the problems they faced. Latest answer posted January 16, 2020 at 6:51:02 PM. In suffering for that man; for me, in relentless, heartbreaking grief for him, lost and gone so long now dead or alive, who knows? 'Running forward to meet his master, he kissed his forehead, his fine eyes, and both his hands, while the tears streamed down his cheeks. Odysseus sometimes lacks self-awareness when he would kill his men or people just because it was a faster way to reach his goal. This essay was donated by a student and is likely to have been used and submitted before, Free samples may contain mistakes and not unique parts. En route, they unknowingly stopped at the island of the Cyclopes to gather supplies for their long journey home. Then, he was thoughtful in the sense of caring for his men and their wellbeing. Penelope, Odysseus's wife, and their young son, Telemachus, are powerless before her arrogant suitors as they despair of Odysseus's return from the siege of Troy. Is he not being disloyal to Penelope here? This shows the lack of obedience the men have and Odysseus lack of leadership. We respect this quality in a person because with leadership a person can lead a group of people and, However, examples within the literary narrative of the Odyssey leaves the discussion open with regards to his leadership. The three men were put under a spell where they forgot their way home, but Odysseus forcefully brought them back to the ship himself. Secondly, Odysseus can be deceitful and not fully communicate the facts of each situation. 2023 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Significant Myths and Structure of the Text, http://classics.mit.edu/Homer/odyssey.html. Menelaus tells the story of the Trojan Horse, which enabled the Greeks to trick the defenders of Troy and take the city after a fruitless ten-year siege. As Odysseus and his men prepare to face Kharybdis and Skylla, his men are nervous, so Odysseus reminds them "'Have we never been in danger before this? But when the other [Menelaos] drove to his feet, resourceful Odysseus,he would just stand and stare down, eyes fixed on the ground beneath him,nor would he gesture with the staff backward and forward, but hold itclutched hard in front of him, like any man who knows nothing.Yes, you would call him a sullen man, and a fool likewise.But when he let the great voice go from his chest, and the words camedrifting down like the winter snows, then no other mortalman beside could stand up against Odysseus. First, he discloses the disturbing information to his. Odysseus proves to be an epic hero in The Odyssey by showing bravery,intelligence and respect for the gods.Odysseus shows his intelligence by having his men tie him up to the mast as they sail past the sirens,so odysseus dont lose his will to get home.Odysseus use his bravery by going past scylla,so that he does not risk losing Is it presented as a good or bad thing? Give us your email address and well send this sample there. Furthermore, Odysseus is very clever, which is a another strong trait leaders should possess. In an extended simile, Odysseus is compared to a powerful mountain lion driven by hunger to approach a homestead and attack its flocks of animals. Our professional writers can rewrite it and get you a unique paper. A professional writer will make a clear, mistake-free paper for you! What power we had! Odysseus is saying this to himself after being wakened up by a group of young Phaeacian girls playing ball. In the nights, true, hed sleep with her in the arching cave he had no choice unwilling lover alongside lover all too willing. Copyright 2023 IPL.org All rights reserved. Add this to the total bring the trial on!". The most compelling evidence is. ", "Nine years we wove a web of disaster for those Trojans, pressing them hard with every tactic known to man, and only after we slaved did Zeus award us victory. eNotes.com will help you with any book or any question. "Man of misery, whose land have I lit on now? Because of the horrors he has experienced, he worries about what kind of people he has landed among, whether they are savage or friendly to strangers. This experience should guide him to choose correctly when being put in a tight spot. The epic poem "The Odyssey" is written by Homer and takes place in ancient Greece 700 B.C. In The Odyssey Odysseus shows a copious amount of leadership while hes fighting against the gods to get home. Enjoy eNotes ad-free and cancel anytime. A heros funeral then, my glory spread by comrades now what a wretched death Im doomed to die! Od. Killing his men was perhaps not the best thing to do, but he still is heroic because his loyalty is what drives him to advance on his long journey home. 25 of the best book quotes from Odyssey 01 Share "So, surrender to sleep at last. So, thoughtfulness is clearly another trait of Odysseus that he uses to make him a stronger leader. Moreover, Odysseus proved himself a proper leader through being thoughtful. Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. With our Essay Lab, you can create a customized outline within seconds to get started on your essay right away. Click . Don't use plagiarized sources. His Arrogance and his hubris Significant Myths and Structure of the Text. In order to do this, he hid his men in cattle to escape from the cyclops. He thought of an elaborate, but organized way to blind Polyphemus after drugging him. In this quote, we see that Odysseus is a cunning planner. Odysseus and his crew robbed and killed them on their island. Let's start by finding a writer. Explain this statement by analyzing the relationship of Helen and Paris in the Iliad. Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns driven time and again off course, once he had plundered the hallowed heights of Troy. Latest answer posted May 29, 2020 at 7:42:15 AM. Although Odysseus has some positive attributes he is a bad leader for the following reasons he keeps secrets from his crew, he falls asleep at inappropriate times and is arrogant to a fault. Therefore, take me and bind me to the crosspiece half way up the mast; bind me as I stand upright, with a bond so fast that I cannot possibly break away, and lash the rope's ends to the mast itself. The Odyssey, Book 6, lines 142-153. Next, the group was stranded on Circes island and his men were turned into animals by the goddess. Remember: This is just a sample from a fellow student. Scylla was a huge monster that had twelve large legs like tentacles and 6 heads with fangs. That is what I'm called by my mother and father." Quote regarding Melantho's behavior "Melantho of the pretty cheeks jeered at him outrageously" Quote regarding the Cyclops prayer of revenge "Grant that Odysseus.may never reach his home in Ithaca" The fate of Odysseus is being controlled by a vengeful Poseidon, angered at the blinding of his son, Zeus acknowledges. We should care about this topic because it is pertinent in our world today. Poseidon may have condemned Odysseus to an additional ten years suffering at sea, but his fate has attracted the attention of the other gods who want to help him. When does Odysseus show bravery in The Odyssey? Here's liquor to wash down your scraps of men. Atlas daughter it is who holds Odysseus captive, luckless man despite his tears, forever trying to spellbind his heart with suave, seductive words and wipe all thought of Ithaca from his mind. Another part of the adventure where this is portrayed is when Odysseus and his men are on Circes island. A bad leader is like a cyclops wearing an eyepatch, never able to see his mighty hand in front of his own face. Let's fix your grades together! Website studydriver.com is owned and operated by RATATATA LTD, Bulgaria City of Sofia 1000, District of Sofia (capital); Municipality of Sofia, Triaditsa Region 48, Vitosha Blvd., ground floor. [], The Epic of Gilgamesh and The Odyssey both deals with characters that question their mortality due to death. Generally I think Odysseus is a good leader because he saves his men more times than he lets them get killed, for example on the island with Polythemus. So I took counsel in my great heart, whether I should draw near, and pluck my sharp sword from my thigh, and stab him in the breast, where the midriff holds the liver, feeling for the place with my hand. This essay proves that an epic hero is not only a personification of that culture but also the best version of that culture. Also, Odysseus is evidently clever when devising the escape plan from the Cyclops' cave. What is the importance of arete in the Iliad. Afterwards, at the Cyclops cave, Odysseus also showed how thoughtful he was as he lead his people through a well-devised plan to save them from the Cyclops. What are the worthwhile causes for fighting a war? Many cities of men he saw and learned their minds, many pains he suffered, heartsick on the open sea, fighting to save his life and bring his comrades home. Helen is telling the story of how she saw and recognized Odysseus when he came into Troy disguised as a beggar during the war. When they land on the island his men are held captive and are turned into animals. Odysseus believes that he is going to die at sea, thanks to the storm sent by Poseidon. In the meantime, while . 2023. Who are the experts?Our certified Educators are real professors, teachers, and scholars who use their academic expertise to tackle your toughest questions. Thus, the question of leadership supersedes the topic of Arete. He attributes the Greeks eventual and hard-won victory to the will of Zeus, but also to the cunning of Odysseus. The Odyssey, Book 5, lines 33-46. Zeus instructs his son Hermes to deliver his command to Calypso concerning Odysseus. These are the opening words to Homers masterpiece, The Odyssey, one of the most important and enduring works of Western literature. "But my heart breaks for Odysseus, that seasoned veteran cursed by fate so long far from his loved ones still, he suffers torments off on a wave-washed island rising at the center of the seas. These were only some main events in the epic that showed his acts of valor, but they supported his ability to be a good leader nonetheless. Is this the end? Nevertheless, heroes rules and commands are respected by their followers and it shows excellent leadership, yet this does not the speak to Odysseus. As a man will bury his glowing brand in black ashes, off on a lonely farmstead, no neighbors near, to keep a spark alive no need to kindle fire from somewhere else so great Odysseus buried himself in leaves and Athena showered sleep upon his eyes. Enumerate the epic conventions that you can find in books 1 and 2 of the Iliad? The other name of the suitors mentioned by Homer in this epic poem include: commons.wikimedia.org The opening line of The Odyssey introduces Odysseus by his epithet, "the man of twists and turns." Odysseus is "the man of twists and turns" because his journey, and his story, are anything but straightforward. What quotes show how Odysseus is a good leader? From beginning to end of the Odyssey, Odysseus repeatedly motivated his crew to not give up during their journey by announcing "My friends, I know how much/ you have endured. The examples that will presented will illustrate that Odysseus hubris, risk taking prowess, and at times unwillingness to follow instructions often placed his crew in danger as he journeyed Ithaca. Already a member? Nobody worked as hard as or achieved so much as Odysseus, yet his struggles ended in suffering. He always looks out for his men and encourages them to keep moving forward when hope disappears. Even immortal gods will show a man respect, whatever wanderer seeks their help like me I throw myself on your mercy, on your current now I have suffered greatly. 19 This is not an example of the work written by professional essay writers. He is being a leader by protecting his men from the Ciccone 's army by leaving before reinforcements come. Beset by vengeful gods and facing many challenges, Odysseus has lost nearly everything, but his ultimate goal has remained unwavering. Nothing to fear now, neither pain nor death.". The first trait is that he is a very arrogant person and this often puts him and his men in danger. When the Cyclops comes upon to see that Odysseus and part of his crew members were munching down on his cheese he was frustrated. When Odysseus commands his men to go back to sea to voyage, he is a good leader because he is telling his men what to do. 50-54). But not in the convoy of the gods or mortal men. Odysseus is crying as he listens to the Phaiakian bard sing about the Trojan War, but he's not just letting a single tear fall: he's weeping like a widowed woman. Three time and four time happy those Danaans were who died then in wide Troy land, bringing favor to the sons of Atreus, as I wish I too had died at that time and met my destiny on the day when the greatest number of Trojans threw their bronze-headed weapons over me, over the body of perished Achilles, and I would have had my rites and the Likewise, the greek tragedy by Sophocles Oedipus Rex details the tragic downfall of the hero King Oedipus. However, Oedipus slowly uncovers the truth, ultimately leading to his own banishment from his. Get your custom essay. ", "Yet I tell you great Odysseus is not dead. Yes, the terribly challenging circumstances in narrative in which the Odysseus finds himself is a challenge of courage and heroism of which very few would willingly volunteer. Even though Odysseus knew that the Cyclops could be very dangerous, he still went on to their island in order to explore. The reader learns about the characters through the themes. Critical Essays Major Themes in. You can find a skilled professional who can write any paper for you. Odysseus showed bad leadership when his curiosity resulted in some of his men dying. In summary, a hero has to have an excellent leadership role. So Odysseus moved out about to mingle with all those lovely girls, naked now as he was, for the need drove him on, a terrible sight, all crusted, caked with brine they scattered in panic down the jutting beaches. To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below: By clicking Send, you agree to our Terms of service and Privacy statement. Odysseus barely managed to escape this, but his actions put him and his crew at a huge risk. Get your custom essay from professional writers. Leaders must fall above their followers in certain ways, like levels of knowledge and readiness for whatever may come their way. This example has been uploaded by a student. Is Odysseus A Hero: Main Character of Homers Epic Poem Essay, Analysis of the Male and Female Relationships in the Odyssey Essay, The Odyssey: Odysseus As The Archetypal Trickster Essay, A Study of the Characters Odysseus and Poseidon as Depicted in Homer's Odyssey Essay, Strengths And Weaknesses Of Odysseus Essay, A study of the friendship between Odysseus and Athena Essay, An Analysis of the Journey of Odysseus Essay, Gilgamesh and Odysseus: the Lessons Learned Essay, Womens Influence on the Warfare in the Illiad Essay. However, Odysseus told his men, Ill make the crossing in my own ship and find out what the mainland natives are-for they may be wild savages, and lawless. "What are some good quotes about Odysseus being a hero who thinks things through in the Iliad by Homer?"

Samantha Jacques Married, Ray Sherman Rapper, Bungalows Sold In Gorleston, Articles Q

quotes from the odyssey about odysseus being a leader