Developed in the late 19th century by French-Belgian Gunmakers Galand the Velo-Dog revolvers were aimed at the burgeoning cyclist market. I WOULD TO KNOW HISTORY &VALUE FIREARMS DO NOT KILL PEOPEL PEOPEL KILL PEOPEL October 13, 2006, 09:38 AM #2: springmom. Mark indicates gauge prior to 1925, a 3-inch chamber, but after that year chamber length had to be indicated in inches. 7.65 Borchardt caliber with a 7" barrel. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); [2] The name is a compound word composed of "velocipede" and "dog". velo-dog revolver Handguns: General Handgun Forum : The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum: velo-dog revolver . Uvalde, Active Shooters and Re-Thinking Some Things. Scads of these type of guns were made, often with no markings beyond the legally-required proofs, making them difficult to research today. The top strap is marked "Randf: Cal: 22-230, Syst: Hammerless". A lovely example of an early classic 1900 Velo Mini Revolver. Founded by Frank Galli in 2000, Snipers Hide has been offering informational videos, podcasts, and other support to its users in one location. Rare Velo Dog .25 cal revolver Description: Velo Dog with Browning stamped on top of the strap, and this tiny revolver made at the tuen of the century measures less the 5" long and comes with it's soft pig-skinned leather holster. i don't like to be contrary but sometimes definitions, even good ones, can be too constricting and limiting. Misc. Belgian and Spanish guns also frequently had a manual safety that prevented the trigger from moving. Login Back. Looks like something somebody made with a drill press and a 2 axis vise. JavaScript is disabled. Grey patina on the cylinder and barrel. Item # 12415636 at . Learn More{{/message}}, {{#message}}{{{message}}}{{/message}}{{^message}}It appears your submission was successful. It may even be a smoothbore "shotgun." Looking at the hammer and firing pin, one might tell whether it's a center-fire or a rimfire cartridge. Daniel Defense firearms, parts and accessories, French Manufacture of Arms and Cycles of Saint-tienne. I attributed this to my large fingers, but later realized I was holding the gun wrong, and by shifting my grip upwards slightly it would not longer do that which will doubtless improve my accuracy. They were originally developed by Charles-FranoisGalandand his sonRen. Very Good - 90% - 95% condition (all parts/finish should be original). A 6.35mm double-action revolver with 1.5" barrel, folding trigger and concealed hammer. The Velodog was a French design by Charles-Franois Galand specifically made for carry by cyclists to defend themselves against dogs. Sold. See Sold Price. Belgian Velo-Dog Double Action Revolver Serial no undet. Casull discontinued manufacturing of the model in 2005, with reportedly less than 1,000 made. Is a rose by any other name still a rose? I dont have reloading dies for this caliber yet, and since I was firing an unfamiliar antique gun I opted to make a Gallery Load. I inserted magnum small pistol primers (I havent been able to get the regular ones for many months now) and tapped them into place with a wooden dowel. However, my correction was taken down the next day and the post was returned to the original. It features a 1.75-inch barrel, 6-round cylinder, manual safety, and folding trigger. Surviving examples vary considerably in appearance, but have certain features in common. By 1895 an even smaller Galand revolver was born, specifically to counter the four-legged threat to cyclists, which was named the Velo Dog. FIOCCHI 5.75mm VELO-DOG 43gr FMJ 48rd BOX Hard to find 43 grain full metal jacket ammo for your 1894 Velo Dog Revolver. A demand arose for small pistols which would fit easily in a cyclist's pocket. S&W 629 and Colt Anaconda - I now own both. [1] The name is a portmanteau of " velocipede " and "dog". Epic 22 Pocket Pistol: The Beretta 71 Jaguar. I'm trying to find out wha. Remington's Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 LR rifles have grown from 1950s bargain buys to 21st century collectors darlings. They all are pocket size. . Weeks, (1992). If you have the time you can open all the files on the littlegun sight. Showing 1-36 of 126 results. Antique Pistols. MANUFACTURE 1900 TO EARLY TEENS. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. Auction ends Sunday, Sept. 15th. Like the French guns they were all double-action revolvers, and initially were hammerless, though later guns with exposed hammers were made. looks like a velo dog style gun, nice find! There is, of course, no perceptible recoil and with these low-powered loads the report was quite mild. Almost as many of us have been chased, at one time or another, by a canine while on said bicycle. Must function properly and shoot. Blade front sight. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Velo-Dog pistols were initially chambered a proprietary 5.5mm Velo-Dog cartridge but later they appeared in a number of small calibres including .22 rimfire and .25ACP calibres. The name combined the words Velocipede (bicycle) and Dog; his thought was that cyclists could use the revolver to discourage dogs that plagued them. Number 1. There are traces of blue on the ejector rod and spring and traces of case hardening on the frame. Get 12 Issues a year of the country's best firearms writing. Following, Someday I will hit a gong at a mile.. 9mil, ------------------------------------------------, There are 2 number 1s stamped to a bullet hole and no marks under the handle. The original guns used the proprietary 5.5mm Velo-Dog cartridge was basically a centerfire .22LR that was slightly less powerful than the 22LR. The hammer is shrouded to avoid its snagging on clothing, so the weapon is double action only. When I dress Western, nothing beats the classic good looks of my Smith & Wesson (S&W) 586 .357 revolver. See Sold Price. Snipers Hide is a community of Snipers of all kinds, focusing on long range shooting, accuracy, and ballistics. It is 4-1/2" overall with a 1-3/4" barrel. The intended usage was even more explicit in Europe. They had some serious errors in a post about the little Velo-Dog revolver. It has a folding trigger, Bulldog-style ejection and a manual safety located just above the hard rubber grips on the back of the frame. Only show this user . This phenomenon led to the invention and popularity of a unique series of revolversthe Velo Dog. SMALL CONCEALED HAMMER VELO DOG REVOLVER | 23 | 98 | Lc | 62.5185ms. Unfortunately for every 1 of us with a working brain there are 10000 that believe every thing that is written. This was not as inhumane as it sounded; loads of Cayenne Pepper, lead dust, and wax, wood or cork bullets bullets were available. Belgian Velo-Dog revolvers were, for the most part, a fusion of the hammerless double-action-only French designs and the Bulldog-style revolvers they had been producing for many years. The five-charge drum of this revolver has oval valleys on the side surface and grooves for . Smith & Wesson Model 586: Reviewing A .357 Revolver With Class. The design incorporated a very small size, along with a DAO design with an enclosed hammer and a folding trigger without the presence of a trigger guard. Firearm has severe wear and tear, does not function, or is damaged. The lack of accuracy was not an issue with the gun, despite the aforementioned stiff trigger and miserable sights. As the name dog suggests, these were marketed to cyclists to fend off wild dogs. In 2023 a new or used Galand Velo-Dog Revolver value varies depending on supply and demand. Chambered for the 6.35 Velo Dog cartridge. JavaScript is disabled. For bullets I pulled the 29gr. I know nothing, but interested. The round was in current manufacture as late as the 1990s by Fiocchi and others and can be found for display purposes if not for firing. No doubt Ill have all sorts of fun developing loads for it and trying to coax unrealistic levels of accuracy out of it. Bird head Style grips. The Manufacturer cannot be found, but this weapon is known as the Velo-Dog, originally created in the late 19th century as a defense for cyclists against dog . Briefly, the Velo-Dog was a fairly powerful .22 caliber center fire cartridge made to allow people riding bicycles ("velocipedes") to protect themselves from attacks by dogs, hence the "velo-dog" name. This is a Velo Dog folding trigger revolver. The barrel and cylinder still retain some of their original bluing, and the frame is color-case hardened, though little of the color remains. This is not John Waynes revolver it is a modern work of art! . Good - 80-90% condition (all parts/finish should be original). All have short barrels and originally fired the 5.75mm (.22 calibre) Velo-dog cartridge, although many of the Velo-Dogs produced after 1900 accepted .22 LR or .25 ACP rounds. Firearms dont get much more iconic than John Moses Brownings legendary Auto-5 semi-auto shotgun, affectionately called the Humpback for its distinctive drop at the rear of the receiver. New in box - 100% condition in unopened box. There are people who say that every revolver that sort of looks like a Nagant IS a Nagant. This load dimpled the chickens and pigs. Most of the small revolvers they produced were Baby Bulldogs, small versions of the British bulldog style revolvers in .320 Revolver, or Puppies chambered in .22 Short. There was no shortage of small revolvers available at the time; most countries produced them, particularly Belgium, where they never met a patent they didnt want to violate. Mechanism needs repair or adjustment. Good old Col Charlie was always looking for an edge, so he had a Woodsman converted to centerfire and shortened Velo Dog brass to LR length. Smith & Wesson's version was a 2-inch iteration of its hammerless model. This is a fascinating little gun and an interesting look into history. The Galand company produced their Velo Dog style revolvers from 1894-1940 in their proprietary 5mm chambering. Common grips were hard rubber, but silver, wood, antler, mother-of-pearl and ivory were also used. Velo-Dog. With the average dog somewhere about 30-40 pounds, the cartridge for the small pistol did not have to be huge. The first bicycle with pedals emerged in the mid-1850s. Galand stoked his revolver with six of these cartridges. Bicycles could not be bothered to carry a large firearm for self-defense and to keep revolver as small as possible, Galand designed it to have a folding trigger and no trigger guard, thus keeping the profile of the gun slim and snag-less. Velo-Dogs were commonly equipped with either a yoke-mounted ejector, though more advanced models offered break-open tip-up or down ejection. (.22 calibre) Velo-dog cartridge, although many of the . probably. Bicycle Gun: The Doggone History Of These Pocket Pistols, 1791 Gunleather Introduces Optic Ready Holster Options, Double-Action vs. Single-Action Revolvers, 5 Best AR-10 Options You Can Actually Afford (2023), Colt Single Action Army Clones And Replicas Vs. Originals, Best .380 Pistol Options For Deep Carry (2023). Reloading dies are available, though they are rather more expensive than more common calibers. Some models were double action and had concealed hammers while others were single action and required cocking before firing. Though this little gun has had as many variations and names as it had makers, the general features are quite simple: a 2.5-inch barrel, five-round capacity, double-action trigger, and an overall. Excellent - 95%+ condition with or without box. The name "Velo-dog" comes from the portmanteau of the words "Velocipede" (an early type of bicycle) and "dog" which alludes to the fact that the Velo-dog was designed to protect cyclists from wild. Item Overview Description SERIAL NUMBER 14 BARREL 1-1/4" CALIBER 6.35 VELO DOG CF. Most came from Belgium, France, or Spain, with additional production in Germany, Italy, and Brazil, with nearly 50 different manufacturers identified. I think ill save myself some time, stick you on ignore, and leave this thread.. You just want to argue. The trigger pull is short and smooth but very stiff. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Brass case, boxer primed. I have heard people call the Japanese T14 a Luger because the long barrel makes it sort of look like a Luger. Login Get Prices. Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and taste good with catsup - George of Lod, Year of Our Lord 297. Some of the advertisements of the era made one purpose explicit. On page 176 of the 1911 ALFA catalogue of Adolf Frank Export Gesellschaft, Hamburg, the round is listed as the 5.75 Velo Dog in the section of the catalogue devoted to revolver ammunition p.176. In all other senses, the guns remained the same. Yes, I know Alpo. I used a charge of 1.6gr of Universal powder, based on my experience loading .251 TCR and .25 ACP. Sharpe has 4.7 grs of Unique driving a 45-gr bullet at 1955 fps with a pressure of 34000 psi in the Hornet. I'd say the guy on the Gun Values board gave you the right range to expect. Very Nice hand engravings down the spine and on both sides of the frame. . The Velo Dog design proved so popular with consumers that the design was eventually scaled up to chamber both .25 and .32 (7.65mm) auto cartridges for defense against two-legged assailants. VELO-DOG REVOLVER 5.5mm Gun Firearms PHOTO CARD Cyclists Defense Against Dogs. My guess would be that different authorities use different definitions, but what remains true for all is that a specific design of pistol was manufactured to use 5.5 cartridges and was soon designed to house larger cartridges. The Velo-dog Revolver was a French pocket revolver, designed by Charles-Francois Galand in 1894. The Velo-Dog (also known as a Revolver de Poche [1]) was a pocket revolver originally created in France by Ren Galand, son of Charles-Franois Galand in the late 19th-century as a defense for cyclists against dog attacks. http://www.guns.com/2012/10/11/velo-dog-revolver/, https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/the-velo-dog/23400, The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? 48 round box. Webley No. The checkered horn grips are undamaged. Stuff a bullet into the case so it doesnt collapse when you chuck it up in a hand-drill, then use the drill and a file to recuse a section at the base of the cartridge just ahead of the rim to about .220. A .32 or .38 lead pill struck the marketers as the perfect prescription for persistent petulant pups. The revolver is, as one would expect, quite petite. Ignoring the complaint about wiki, let's look at Velo Dogs. I only wanted a few cartridges for test purpose for the moment, so I made seven cases this way. The result was the tiny 5.5mm Velo Dog. Bbl. If you like what you see here, please consider clicking the link above and supporting me on Patreon. To the adventurous collector exploring this field, it can sometimes seem more challenging to find two alike than to find a new variation. This is an original closed frame 6 shot, Velo-Dog type revolver has a fluted cylinder and 1 " octagonal barrel (5 . They evolved fromCharles-Franois (andDieudonn D. Oury)earlier small pistols the Le Novo and Tue Tuewhich were small revolvers. Therefore the hammer is concealed within the frame, preventing it from snagging on the user's pocket when they drew it, ergo the Velo-Dog fires using a double action only mechanism. There were other styles including top-break revolvers with auto-ejectors, but most of them operated like a Bulldog revolver. GABILONDO Y URRESTI > Velo-Dog Revolver. . Leash laws have a real purpose. This should be a force-fit. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The short 2-inch barrel on the bicycle model certainly made it easier to carry in a pocket while the legs were vigorously pumping pedals. Chambered in a centerfire round very close in performance to the .22LR. There are even people who call every handgun a revolver, even if it's a semi-auto. This proved sufficient given the almost non-existent recoil of this load. Notes It's spot-on Soundguy. Gun Type: Handgun: NIB $ 0000. Save my name and email to use for future comments. It was the age of steam engines, the first practical lighter-than-air balloons, machine guns, repeating rifles, landmines, and armored warships but one of the most popular inventions of the age was the human powered bicycle. Pre-leash-law free-roaming dogs hated the new-fangled gizmos and were wont to attack rider and vehicle alike! Cartridge (88) Double Action (4) Dragoon (5) Duelers (1) Flare Pistol (1) Flintlock (5) Pepperbox (7) Percussion (28) Single Action (19) Spur Trigger (29) Allen & Thurber 32 Caliber Pepperbox - PENDING SALE.

Alexa Datt Engaged, Articles V

velo dog pistol value