284 shehane load data

Duane decided to use a BAT M action for this rifle, and I think that he could not have made a better choice. This blue marble-painted beauty features a BAT B action timed by Alex, fitted with Jewell trigger, and Borden trigger guard. Youve proved them wrong. Since 2009, Forum members have posted photos and descriptions of their most prized firearms. Use a Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x50 scope with the MOAR- T reticle (super fine reticle) Load should be 52.3 gr H4350, CCI BR2 primer, Norma 284 brass, Berger 180 Hybrid and seat it 15 thou off. Owner Jason Cohen explained why he chose the .284 Shehane chambering: The .284 Shehane has a proven record of accomplishments and that is why I have chosen it. You may see 40 units (on the K&M dial) dropping to 20, then slowly increasing pressure. Just before Nationals, I tried going up and down one marker. After researching the winning competitors, rifles, and rounds I ordered a Panda action with Krieger barrel in 6mm Dasher from Kelbys. I do this because I have never had success waiting on a condition to come back. Hornady 284 Winchester Match bullets Hornady offers 4 bullets in .284 ranging from 162grain to 190grain similar to the other offerings in terms of bullet weight. Darrell tells us: At DJs Brass, we can handle all your brass refurbishing needs. PLEASE CHECK YOUR BOLT DIAMETER BEFORE ORDERING. In matches with unlimited sighters, I generally hold dead center with a no-wind zero and use the point of impact as feedback. On top is a March HM 10-60x56mm scope in March Gen 3 rings. In 2008, I went to the Williamsport Benchrest School with a friend from Pennsylvania, John Haas. Im very exacting in my loading procedures. MV is 2680 FPS. I didnt have a good paintwork place so I had to improvise. If it makes sense, try it. I screw on the new barrel, fire 25 rounds of whatever I have left over and then clean it. Interestingly, I found that the multiple layers of paint and clearcoat stiffened the stock up quite a bit. If you look at the F-Class and Long Range benchrest equipment lists, you will see that cut-rifled barrels are currently dominating. The .300 WSM loaded with Berger 215gr or 230gr Hybrids is very tough to beat at long range, and it is currently my number one choice. The key here is both calibres are going to shoot around the 2850fps mark accurately with good case and barrel life. But, the added recoil of the .284, even with front and rear rests aligned, took me off target. He tells us: In my humble opinion, the .284 Shehane is the best balanced long-range round there is bar none. Below is a video by Editor F-Class John, showing the features of the Kestros ZR stock. IMPORTANT: Contact Darrell for shipping instructions BEFORE sending any brass for processing. Henry: Youre never too old. New brass gave slightly slower velocity but better numbers: ES of 7 to 9 fps, and SD of 2 to 3 fps. Load development for me starts with each new barrel. Despite the issues I explained in the load development section with low initial velocities on new barrels, I would say the .284 is fairly easy to tune. A dummy round was sent to Pacific Tool and Gauge to have a reamer ground to our specs. Both cartridges are currently the darlings of long-range benchrest due to their extraordinary grouping ability and huge node windows. Best bullets for it are Berger 180gr Hybrids, 195gr EOLs, and Sierras 183gr MatchKing. I talked two stock makers into making them. Henry: For my .284 Shehane at the Nationals, I loaded 52.5 grains of Hodgdon H4350 and Federal BR-2 primers behind Berger 180gr VLDs. ALL Bulletin content is copyrighted, 2023 AccurateShooter.com. The bullet was moved out .003 to maintain position relative to the lands. Dan says: The Anschutz provides good practice in trigger-pulling. I use Widden dies. Henry: The reason I rechambered my 7mm barrels to .284 Shehane was not velocity, pressure, or brass life. Now that Lapua and Peterson has released 284 Winchester brass, this could alleviate the need to neck up 6.5 brass. Hydro-Form Specialty cases (such as Dasher) $0.60 (sixty cents) each minimum of 100 pieces plus actual return shipping cost It was fitted to my action by Dale Woolum of Woolum Accuracy. Support Our SPONSORS Competitive Edge 5 x 2.5 'Big Bottom' Then we backed the powder charge down until the bolt lift was smooth and the primers were nice and round. Just five years ago Forum member Henry Pasquet (aka HenryP) got started in 1000-yard benchrest shooting. Why do you like the .284 Shehane? Share the post "Hydro-Forming, Annealing, Neck-Turning by DJs Brass". But in reality, on average, the .223 Rem, regardless of what powder/bullet combo is used, cannot compete with the .308 Win. On paper the 90gr VLD will shoot inside most .308 Win loads even at a 1000 yards. Second I visited his shop during the SWN in February and liked what I observed and how he approached things. I started calling anyone I could thing of to see if they had any idea what could be causing this problem. All of the above information is based on my personal experience and it is meant to help new shooters choose the right cartridges for F-Class matches. For example, if you shoot a 22 Dasher, Darrell can hydro-form the cases to a 6 Dasher and then neck them down to .22 caliber. Cases are full-length resized, but I bump the shoulders only .0005 (one-half thousandth). I use a K&M Arbor Press with seating force gauge when seating the bullets with a Wilson inline die. After trying Federal 210m primers, CCI BR-2 primers, light tension, heavy tension, jamming, jumping, we settled on 56.0+ grains of H4831sc with CCI BR-2 primers. Here he is with parents Karen and Ken Klemm. The Oehler consistently gave me readings of 2892 fps to 2902 fps with an SD of 4 fps using once-fired brass. . With the latest high-BC 7mm bullets, the original .284 Winchester is proving tough competition for its 6.5-284 offspring. Thats where the .284 Shehane comes into play. Here are the initial powder tests for the Shehane. Ian loaded Berger 200.20X Hybrid bullets in Lapua brass with Vihtavuori N140 powder and CCI BR4s. Two months ago, I was contacted by Duane, a gentleman I met at the 2015 F-Class Nationals. I found this very important in holding good elevation (minimal vertical dispersion). To travel down to New Mexico and win at Raton was very satisfying as I had to come from behind. Ian told us: This Championship was especially difficult as a particularly strong challenger [and new 1000-yard record-holder] Mike Plunkett had earned an early lead and I would have to make up 6 points in the final day to win. the 284 really needs a mid length or long action FURMAN Well-Known Member He posted: Went to local paint shops, some cost a two-month work income, some said guns were a no-no. He is always trying new ideas. Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C 17.25" Sight-in Target - 5 Targets Art Cocchia advised getting a load with a good known accuracy node with minimum extreme spread, which controls vertical. To dispense powder, I use a RCBS ChargeMaster set 0.1 grain below my desired load and then weigh them on a Sartorius GD-503 magnetic force restoration scale to get identical charges. Do you shoot a popular wildcat (such as the 6 BRA), but hate the hassle of fire-forming all your own cartridge brass? Kovan Match Rifles LLC, www.matchrifles.com. Everything turned out flawless. What are the attractions of this sport? [This] caliber has awesome accuracy. Jason noticed that Bryan had been adding aluminum rails to the front of Cerus stocks to lower the center of gravity and improve tracking. Go to page. We are blessed with many good match-quality receivers: Barnard, BAT, Borden, Kelbly, Nesika, and Stiller just to mention a few. Rifle SpecificationsAll the Hardware In this match I found the first weakness in my beloved .284. After getting in late one Saturday night, I forgot to clean my rifle. JC Steel Gunny Sergeant . 1000-yard shooting keeps us all humble, but we still keep trying to see how good we can do. .284 Shehane Load Development Would love to read more about the Shehane, as apparently Sabatti has three factory rifles (Evo, TLD and STR Sport) to offer in this cartridge: https://www.sabatti.it/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Catalogo2020En.pdf. The .284 Shehane Accurate and Forgiving Wildcat Then give Darrell Jones at DJs Brass a call at 205-461-4680. Norm revealed his load in an Erik Cortina YouTube Video. The recoil difference between the 6.5-284 and the .284 is about the same as the difference between a 6x250AI and a 6.5-284. From this point we worked up in half-grain increments until pressure signs developed at 2950 fps. I do most of my testing at 300 to 500 yards, shooting off my deck so I can see my shots immediately. It had 2000 as a straight .284 Win and then I set it back to .284 Shehane to form brass with. I've not shot any of these but there's plenty of info out there. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Cost Comparison: .284 Win vs. 6.5-284 It shoots better then I do. The rifle features a single-feed Alpin action, with Hart 26 1:8-twist barrel, chambered for the 6BRX (6mmBR wildcat) with .269 neck. The barrel was near-new; this was the first time I had used it this year. Joel currently works as the Supplier Quality Process Engineer for MMI-TruTec, a company that offers barrel surface coatings that can further extend your barrel life. With the price of premium brass topping $1.00 per case for popular match cartridges, it makes sense to consider annealing your brass to extend its useful life. He can handle all the difficult brass forming/brass restoration chores efficiently and affordably. This rifle now has 554 rounds through it, but only .003 throat erosion. The extra boiler room is enough to drive the 180s at 2900-2950 fps with H4831sc. I prefer these because because of their size (large bedding footprint) smoothness, timing, options available, and last but not least visual appearance. My load with 180 bergers for my 284 shehane was 56.5g of 4831sc, but it started to show pressure after it had about 200 rounds through it, I backed it of to 56.0g with no problems. Annealing plus ultrasonic cleaning starts at $35 per 100 cases ($45 for magnum cases). 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js'; Always be ready to learn something new. In fact, this impressive sub-quarter MOA group was shot while fire-forming with a very well-worn barrel! I do not weigh brass, bullets, or primers. The variable power and unobstructed DD-1 reticle of the NF were deciding factors. However, the challenge in shooting this rifle was recoil management. Darrell can neck-turn any size case to your specified neck-wall thickness. The .284 is my hands-down choice for shooting F-Class. The stock in laminate weighs 3lbs. To me, the 284/shehane is proven. With only 11 rounds through the new tube, I shot a 600-yard match on June 22, 2008. I had used the ball expander in the die to neck the cases up from 6.5 to 7mm. Since 2009, Forum members have posted photos and descriptions of their most prized firearms. This was sent that to Bryan Blake at Blake Machine. We also remove the carbon build-up in muzzle brakes. Uniform velocity gives me more consistent vertical point of impact. It has a custom Ceracoat paint job to match my sling gun. Key components are: Pierce Engineering long action tube receiver, Bartlein 1:8.5-twist barrel, Jewell trigger set at 2 oz., and Vortex Golden Eagle scope in Vortex rings. What is not to love about the 284 Shehane? Ya, I figured why not I had some old barrels laying around so I just chopped 2 off the back and 1 off the front and chambered it up as a Shehane. The full stock depth continues farther forward that on some other low profile designs. balk at spending x amount of $$$ on a given piece of reloading gear that can provide tangible results, while easily spending several times that on the . Other good options are: Kelbly, CG Jackson (good 2-Stage) Anschutz (best 2-Stage for Bat and Kelbly actions), BixN Andy, and David Tubb. Best powders for the 7mm RSAUM are: H4350, H4831SC, and VV N160. I use Lapua brass (6.5-284 necked-up), CCI BR-2 primers, Hodgdon H4350 powder, and Berger 184gr bullets. recoil reduction system (hydraulic-damped buttpad), Bix N Andy trigger, and Nightforce Competition scope. 14ozs. In the F-Open division, Norm Harrold of Team McMillan shot great from the start, topping the field to win the F-Open division. I figured if I get it up to 2935-2950 fps that will be a point or two saved in a several day match. [The load was] 180 Hybrids with 54.0 grains of H4831 SC. We also compared notes and made each other better. The Lawn Ranger The 6mmBR pilots could run off five shots before I could shoot two. The accompanying data was developed using Sierra bullets fired in a 26-inch Match Grade Machine test . Our bathroom has nice concealing in the summer a perfect paint booth. IMPORTANT: Contact Darrell for shipping instructions BEFORE sending brass for processing. The 22 BR and 22 Dasher are capable of outstanding accuracy with a large variety of bullets and powders. The .284 Win gives better barrel life with only giving up a few inches to the 7mmRSAUM. Seeing is believing! The 284 Shehane has a proven record of accomplishments and that is why I have chosen it. Winning F-TR Rifle and Load: Henry: I apply Imperial dry neck lube to the inside of my case-necks with a bore mop.

Does Hillary Klug Have A Sister, Articles OTHER

284 shehane load data