canon 135mm f2 astrophotography

Comment * document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a0721c0ca7d0974fd27b5d0ceb81918a" );document.getElementById("cfd2c22fe2").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Your email address will not be published. You are entitled to your opinions, and I respect that! (Actually if I can live with the DoF I prefer it to my 85/1.2 too, as there is much less bonus colour.) SharpStar Askar ACL200 200-mm f/4 astrographic telephoto lens, Astrotrac 360 tracking platform first impression, FIELD TEST: CARL ZEISS APOCHROMATIC & SHARPEST (CZAS) BINOVIEWER, Deus_Ex_Mamiya and Michael Covington like this. FULL FRAME TELEPHOTO 135mm F2.0 Magical images, great AF, great close focusing abilities. Plus it is harder to attach than other lens hoods. BTW, the 300-mm Tele-Tessar you describe -- what camera was it made for? The lens is available on eBay for around $200. I actually have to walk 1/2 way up the stairs to be able get folk in the frame. The Olympus Zuiko 180/2.8 and 100/2.8 impressed me in the 1980s, but in the digital era they are not so sharp. This lens has a long focus adjustment ring, with great tension. i too use the 135mm nikkor[ with a MB speed booster on fuji x for outstanding separation], also a samyang 85 mm 1.4 nikon mt with speedbooster also gives excellent separation, yes, I think I have read that the old Nikkor 135mm f3.5 was even sharper than the f2.8. Lots of older lenses no longer satisfy. The full name of this lens is the Rokinon 135mm F/2 ED UMC, with "ED" standing for extra-low dispersion, and UMC referring to the "ultra multi-coated" optics. But ppl should know there is much better advice in the forums. I got mine for $60.00 on Craigslist but seen them on eBay for $100 and less all the time. The flat lens hood design allows you to easily take flat frames with the Rokinon 135mm using the white t-shirt method or using a flat panel. You're sour grapes man, you wish it were you who wrote the article. Read on to find out which you should be using and why! Has a good weight to it. Im currently shooting with a Canon 60D. Sharp without being harsh. I have the Canon EF 135mm, f2L USM. It's not a bad lens, probably a great one, even if it doesn't seems really as sharp as a basic 85mm f/1.8 (used at f/2.8) , but it's a bad idea to work wide open if you don't need to. The image below highlights the creative freedom this lens provides. At 135mm, you can get really creative about the object or objects you shoot and where you position them within the frame. If you don't like that article that's your right as a member. I shoot it wide open 90% of the time. Not only does the Rokinon 135 add additional reach, but I can also now shoot at F/2, instead of F/4 on the Canon. The Rokinon 135mm F2.0 is considered to be a full-frame lens because it can accommodate a full-frame image sensor with its 18.8-degree angle of view. Whereas quality apochromats can be corrected with broad band filters, such as the Astronomik UV/IR cut filter or the CLS-CCD filter, telephoto lenses can not. Oh and it's stabilised. Some APOs can be fitted with pricey telecompressors, but those invariably result in vignetting and coma. The main problem with the old lenses is spherical aberration and colour error, especially pronounced on digital sensors. To remedy this, I reduced the star size in post, and I started shooting at F/4 to really tighten things up. The 135mm f2.8 in particular can take amazing photos of the brighter deep sky objects with about 1 second time . I have never had a bad experience buying used Canon lenses from eBay sellers with 99.5%+ positive feedback. Yes, there is some sharpness added when stopping down to f4 or f5.6 but after that it doesn't get better. Today I want to talk about another such lens design: The 135mm F2 lens. In the past, Ive covered a number of different lenses, from the Sigma 24mm F/1.4 to the Canon EF 300mm F/4L. p.s. Also, when used as recommended, and properly guided at full camera resolution, they are all comparable to a field-corrected APO, producing perfect images from edge to edge which can be easily cropped 25% with no evidence of aberrations. This makes me feel I shall take the Zeiss 85F1.8 off my A6000 or maybe NOT, it's just another hype article about "A" lens. (purchased for $890), reviewed October 21st, 2005 For this reason, a combination of a good light pollution filter, and the use of flat calibration frames are recommended. Better than nothing I guess, would depend on how much it raises the price. never mind.. confirmed from others that F19 is indeed the one that is excluded on this lens! This creates an effective focal length of roughly 200mm, a useful magnification for a wide variety of astro-imaging scenarios. Best lens for portraiture I've ever tried. You can't really ask them to stand still while you move around. It's just "girl" in front of blurriness.#2: Plants on a pond.It's okay. Large hood. The 135mm f2 is by all accounts one of their better and more reliable lenses however I believe the chance of a defective lens is lower with the Canon. The RedCat is deeper at 250mm, and after that, youre into 300-400mm territory which pulls galaxies and nebulae even closer. Sure, if you scroll through his page there are quite a few lens tests on starshttps://www.flickr.chotos/ytoropin/, Community Forum Software by IP.BoardLicensed to: Cloudy Nights, Article: The Best Telephoto Lenses for Astrophotography, This is not recommended for shared computers, Review of Explore Scientific First Light 8, COUNTING SUNSPOTS WITH A $10 OPTICAL TUBE ASSEMBLY, Hubble Optics 14 inch Dobsonian - Part 2: The SiTech GoTo system, iStar Opticals Phantom FCL 140-6.5 review. This is actually worse than just plain obsession with blur. So whats so great about shooting at 135mm anyway? At under 900USD, it's a steal. IS is useful in my f/4 zooms but I don't need it to hand-hold this lens. I am not really looking at buying anything else, though. When I was teaching photography in 70's at a junior college, I critiqued students photos, but I never did so harshly. Well, after lugging that lens around for years, I'm experimenting with adding the 135L back to my kit. Same thing as people mistake "shallow DOF" to blurry background. (purchased for $1,000), reviewed February 4th, 2010 Sure, the Nifty 50 is an incredible value (and a LOT cheaper), but the 135mm puts you within range of some of the best astrophotography targets in the night sky. (For Nikon users there's the new 105mm too.). Helps me as a beginner a lot The 135 L handles this well. OK guysTOS rule number one "Posts that are not respectful of other individuals (be they members or not) are not welcome here.". f2, very sharp, virtually without CAs, contrast, colour, lightwight, buildings. Would you recommend a collar/support for the lens? Although your target audience is beginning DSLR imagers, much of your advice also applies to using lenses with CCD cameras. It turns out that this. Great reach for street shots. "That is why when SLRs came along the 200mm became the big seller and the 135 was largely forgotten"Did you notice that this 135mm F2 lens on an APS-C camera is more or less equivalent to a 200mm F2.8 lens on an FF camera ?So this lens can be seen as the 200mm F2.8 lens for APS-C camera users. Otherwise I might not achieve focus? In this configuration, the lens is still a very fast F3.4. In the middle of the OM System lineup, the OM-5 promises yesterday's top-tier performance in a lighter, more compact body. "Bokeru" is a verb, and it can apply equally to to optical and psychological effects, including the reduced mental clarity that can some with age. Thanks to you I got a Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and a 24mm f 1.4 and am considering this lens at the moment, but wonder how it compares to the Canon 135 mm f/2. Now, I have to admit that up to this point, it sounds a little too good to be true. (purchased for $900), reviewed November 2nd, 2015 However, stepping outside to polar align a small star tracker and attach a DSLR and lens is quick and painless. It's kinda curious how topsy turvy things have gotten since this article, just 4 years later, I think 135mm is possibly more niche than ever yet Samyang finally delivered an AF version of this concept at a lighter weight for E mount, but also at a higher price. Simple fact is the Samyang 135/2 is a remarkably good lens for the price, and it offers a set of optical characteristics that typically cost 2-4x more. This way you get both lenses with only one! Available Monday. I have done a review comparing the sharpness and quality of bokeh to the Canon 70-200 2.8. Some lenses are incurable. Here is a recent ones taken with the canon xs and a lens. Also, I used to have a Nikon 180/2.8 ED IF AF and 300/4 ED IF AF. That is the story.#7: Leaves.That doesn't work. But even better BOKEH is the SAL-135F2.8F4.5 STF (Smooth Trans Focus ) which has even better BOKEH, albeit a manual focus lens. Tiring. Whos Afraid of a Phantom: Istar Phantom 140mm F/6.5, that is? I have a vintage Nikon135mm f/2.8 AI-s which produces virtually the same bokeh and weighs a quarter of this or any other 135mm AF lens. The focuser adjustment rotates roughly 270 degrees, meaning fine-tuning on a bright star is more precise. Jordan's twin brother Gordon is back to review the cinema-focused Canon EOS R5 C! This image of NGC 7000 was done at F/4 at iso 800 with a Canon 20D mod. This lens provides all of these requirements. It is fantastic on my old 5d. Technical Specifications Looking for specific info? In the highest contrast situations there's a hint of both purple and green fringing but both are minor and easy to remove with software. One difference worth pointing out is for those who image using narrowband filters. (purchased for $650), reviewed June 6th, 2008 The next 200mm lens of excellent quality is the 200mm F4 Nikkor F which requires the Nikon F to EOS adapter. When all that was available were APS-C crop cameras a 85mm lens provided a near equivalent view angle to the 135mm on a full frame camera. Please re-enable javascript to access full functionality. The Precious - sharp images, fast focus, perfect weight, reference-quality build. All of them are extremely sharp and produce mouth-watering bokeh, and all of them are reasonably priced for what you get.". Samyang should definitely make 135 f2 with the same optical formula and AF for Sony EFF and also Nikon F plus Canon EF mount if possible. I would be careful with the Nikon 135 f/2 DC (I have one). I got many great shots from this lens but also missed ton of shots due manual focus only. Released only weeks apart, the Sony 50mm F1.4 GM and Sigma F1.4 DG DN Art are clear competitors. f/2! The Image Sensor Frame tool lets you enter in the size of your camera sensor, and focal length of your lens (or telescope) to display a frame over the star map. Juksu, your point is well taken. EF-mount only, this packs more megapixels, a bigger sensor, and a high max ISO. Stuff I used to take the photos in this video:- The Canon 135mm f2 lens: https://amzn.to/346Paz7- Sony A7III Camera: https://amzn.to/2xM776q- Sony Grip exten. I use the word design, because although the available 135mm F2 lenses aren't the exact same optical formula, they share many important traits. How about the sigma 50mm f1.4 Art? In this post, Ill explain why I think the Rokinon 135mm F/2 is the perfect addition to an arsenal of astrophotography lenses. Include the Carl Zeiss in your research though, it might be an interesting lens for you, even if it is a bit pricey for what you get. We always expect to see some drop in performance (particularly corner sharpness) when we move from testing on a sub-frame to a full-frame camera, but the 135mm f/2L turned in a really remarkable performance even at full-frame. reviewed August 2nd, 2017 But the Rokinon f/2 version fits into a different market. Weight. I disagree. 135mm and 200mm lenses are suitable for wide angle star-field views, and comet and asteroid hunting, while 300mm lenses serve very well for the Andromeda galaxy, large emission nebulae, open clusters, and even larger globular clusters. Let's unbox, review and test this lens to find out why it is one of the best bang for your buck deals in astrophotography! It focuses within a blink of an eye, instantly. The full name of this lens is the Rokinon 135mm F/2 ED UMC, with ED standing for extra-low dispersion, and UMC referring to the ultra multi-coated optics. Don't know what the young man uses as his camera, and if he has tried to keep the noise under control, or even tried to focus on the eyes of the mallard, or the cat (their eyes are not truly in focus). Colour and contrast is great. http://www.idyll.com/135. The following image was captured by Eric Cauble using the Samyang branded version of this lens. Personally, I can't stand these circles, and I see them as VERY distracting.Lots of fads come and go, and this is just another one of these fads that some photographers are obsessed with. Light falloff (vignetting) gets pretty high (0.73 EV wide open, but drops to 0.3 EV at f/2.8, and only 0.17 EV at f/4. Besides lack of IS, the only major issue I have with this lens is flare. Digital camera types . "If you are a Nikon user, of course have a look at the Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC and compare it to the other lenses mentioned in this article. PRICE. USM works so quickly and accurately, it puts my 24-70/f2.8L to shame. modest cost for "L" series, wonderful optics and fast speed, nitpicking, but not a circular aperature and no weather sealing. Mr Ericsson makes a very good point, and to go and dig irrelevant background info on him to discredit him is just well THAT is trolling. We sell a wide variety of digital cameras from all the top brands like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Fujifilm, Pentax, Leica, Samsung, and more. Rokinon 135mm F2.0 ED Lens. In my test, nikon have the same color correction than Canon and same sharpness. It is fantastically sharp, can make beautiful blurred backgrounds and bokeh, and is both light and inexpensive for what you get. (purchased for $1,100), reviewed August 12th, 2009 Now I wonder why people are never happy even on 3rd day of a new year :) Come on guys just think "Micael Widell" was working over holiday period to publish this free article ;). I stopped reading after the part where someone I don't know told me I "should" be doing something. It has just a hint of chromatic aberration on very bright stars and, if highly enlarged by 400-800%, the stars in the very corners barely begin to show a touch of astigmatism. This lens has the Pentax K bayonet mount, and requires the K-EOS adapter for attachment to Canon EOS cameras. They just wanted to increase their joy from photography. If canon puts an IS on this lens, it would be perfect! +1 for the 135mm lens. Everyone assumes their definition is the "true" one. Im a newbie at astro.. and photography in general really! In fact, a light-weight 200/2.8 seems more interesting to own (e.g., the Minolta 200/2.8). The OP admits he limited experience with lenses other than what he has. This lens is available for several camera mounts, including Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Samsung, and Fuji. Sharpness, contrast and the natural vignetting on full-frame cameras is awesome! (purchased for $1,625), reviewed January 27th, 2010 Yes, she's isolated. In fact, it might be fun to try! Although typically unused in astrophotography, I did get a chance to see the beautiful bokeh this lens creates when shooting at F/2. Holiday Savings $50 . A camera tracker (or star tracker) is necessary for long exposure deep-sky astrophotography, but a compact model such as the iOptron SkyTracker or Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer will do just fine. It allows to push your main subject matter into abstraction wide open and get very detailed images stopped down. The aesthetic quality of the blur in the out-of-focus parts of the image are buttery smooth and soft. The second best, is the Hoya Pro One Digital MC UV(0) filter. I'm thinking a modern (but expensive) Nikon 200mm f/2.0, 300mm f/4 or f/2.8 or a Borg telephoto/telescope would all be very good. A Bargain, very competively priced Great question Scott I think it depends on the image. If this was used to shoot video you would think that the first image was using a green screen. The article was based on the numerous lenses with which I have personal experience - that is naturally limited. AHAB. Fit and finish are first-rate as well, with very smooth manual focus operation, and very fast autofocus on the camera. So there - it is not a perfect object. Its fast f/2.0 maximum aperture is effective in low light and enables shallow depth of field control. The clip-in Astronomik 12nm Ha is one of their most popular filters ever and for good reason! The original poster is right that it was a compromise though and stopping down was necessary for critical sharpness and a better image. Over the last ten to fifteen years excellent apochromatic telescopes have become available for visual use and photography. This has several advantages from less demanding tracking accuracy, to being able to use a lower ISO setting. Tack sharp even at wide open aperture. Interesting that ancient, low-tech (no ED glass, no special coatings) non-apo telephotos could produce decent results compared to something modern. AF is accurate and very fast. Which is the better buy? 1. It is so sharp it makes you rethink the use of your zoom lenses. I would recommend buying it used if you want to save some money, with the added benefit that you can re-sell it at the same price as you bought it for, effectively giving you the opportunity to "rent it" for free. Just place your subject against a distant background, and half of the job is done. http://www.idyll.com/laney2014 Theres no image stabilization on the Rokinon 135mm F/2 either, but thats a non-issue for amateur astrophotographers. Ive set the f-stop to F/2.8, to sharpen up the stars a bit. Since i am totally new in this field, i would like to start with astrophotography but using my existing camera (Fuji XT-30). But you are talking more than 2x crop (cut half by width and height) and that leaves you to twice smaller resolution == quarter of the Mpix count.So now your 42Mpix A7rII is only a 10.5Mpix. She doesn't look like she is there. For comparison, no other lens I know of would earn more than 8/10. These lenses go about as close as you could get without a dedicated macro lens. $449.00. One very popular lens for bokeh fiends is the Canon 85mm F1.2it can produce extremely creamy out of focus backgrounds. its useful to keep in mind these bokeh circles are the result of light sources bright lamps from autos Christmas lights streetlamps etc and are seriously overused in articles on lenses with strong subject\ backround seperations, they approach parody in the way they characterise subject separation, for most purposes and in most portrait situations its less highlight dominant backrounds that grace a photo. My Rokinon 135F2 on my crop body is fun to play with.. a budget lens with budget construction on a discontinued camera system.. but hey im just a ham and egger https://flic.kr/p/21nj82V, I had a Canon 135/2 for a while, but I decided I preferred the 100 L used not as a Macro but a normal lens (which my non-L USM 100 Macro was quite poor for). Or just get a zoom that is 24-200mm and you are covered. As in all arts the client's likes influence the result up to a point. You currently have javascript disabled. Agreed. It is sharp but somehow not that analytic way as a macro lens. The lenses I listed are certainly not the ONLY exceptional lenses made over the years. Crazy fast AF! It's terrible. For posed portraiture, it's a very nice budget option.FWIW, I'm a corporate portrait and event pro. 85 Is a different story, my 85 gets used a lot. The Samyang 135mm F/2 easily lives up to its hype and should be near the top of your list of purchases if you are new or experienced in the field of astrophotography. And if you want autofocus, I would recommend the Canon 135mm f2.0L, which is incredibly light for its performance at just 750g. Yes there's bokeh. Thus the enthusiasm has a valid basis but may not be suitable for all shooting conditions. Can't argue with your reasoning, Juksu, about the framing of the article, but just stopping by to say I really liked that cat picture, am shopping for a new smartphone, struck that this type of photo is in another league - all newbie observations, of course, which sort of supports your thoughts that an article like this would be better framed as a "Love this new long lens stuff" sort of thing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbrigham/314771597/ Great looking lens, if you ever saw it from the front. Pocketable. My Nikon focus and aperture rings are a thing of highly finessed engineering beauty! f/2, fast-accurate-silent focus, (relatively) small & light, super sharp!! A lot of lenses today are better than anything money could buy in 1980. You can use Stellarium to preview the image scale with the 135mm lens and your DSLR. Material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted or otherwise used without the prior written consent of The Imaging Resource. Prime means that this lens is fixed at 135mm, it is not a zoom lens that allows for focal length adjustments. This brings me to my question. The shallow depth of field present at its maximum aperture does indeed create a pleasing bokeh. you can see here a lot of photos mostly shot with the f/4 version. Not rude at all, a fair comment. If you're using or are looking to buy the Samyang or Rokinon 135mm F/2, please let me know what you're imaging with it or any questions you may have in the comment section below. In this post, Ill share my results using an affordable prime telephoto lens for astrophotography, the Rokinon 135mm F/2.0 ED UMC. A tiny bit of fringing, but that would only be noticed by pixel-peepers. But I would argue that a 135mm F2 lens produces even greater bokeh, thanks to the long focal length that compresses the background far more than the 85mm lens. Show some humility and don't troll. You may need to stop down to control star bloat, and thats exactly what Ive done with this 135. Do you expect me to gawk? I would like to make this work with the Nikkor 180mm ED (i.e., what I have versus what I cannot havelol). BirdDog P240 40X NDI PTZ Camera. It is a parade of photos that should have been galled out after a boring Sunday afternoon shoot of "Think I'll bring along a camera when I walk the dog", There are so many things wrong in this 'review' -- most of all the idea that 'you' should get this lens and somehow it magically makes the duck or the cat stuck right in the center of picture a great photo!

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Laws Qld, Jacksonville, Florida Obituaries Past 30 Days, Articles C

canon 135mm f2 astrophotography