how to describe fantasy clothing

Although such armor exists in fantasy worlds, its important to understand how things work in the real world, even at a basic level. Id be willing to bet each of these items immediately brought to mind a semi-clear character. Vision in such helmets was extremely limited, but this was the cost of added protection. Military service was always well-rewarded and violence applauded. Now, if you write historical fiction, its important to research the clothing of your chosen era. Without decriptions of the clothing it's a bit boring, the novel becomes a list of people the reader can't imagine doing things. As soon as the actor enters stage right or left, we have an inkling of whether theyre a wealthy landowner or peasant, an elegant heiress or humble flower-seller. It's part of culture, so it's definitely something to keep in mind since your fictional universes will have some form of culture as well. Through fashion terms you can understand the fundamentals of the fashion industry. They can tell us what era they live in, and even a persons current state of mind or intent. Dont worry, thats not a trick question. And if you need a place to organize your complex responses, I recommend Dabbles Character Notes feature. Then this is their category. Theyre probably less concerned with how they look (unless they want to look intimidating) and more concerned with things like survival or victory. Compare this, then, to Dickens description of Gradgrinds wife in the following chapter (Gradgrinds wealthy but poverty-claiming friend has just told Mrs. Gradgrind he was born in a ditch): Mrs. Gradgrind, a little, thin, white, pink-eyed bundle of shawls, of surpassing feebleness, mental and bodily; who was always taking physic without any effect, and who, whenever she showed a symptom of coming to life, was invariably stunned by some weighty piece of fact tumbling on her; Mrs. Gradgrind hoped it was a dry ditch? clothed and we should definitely be using them to portray our characters personalities. Chausses / Chauces (15th century) Pantaloons; padded hosen for the legs, often worn under chainmail or plate armor. You may have imagined a man in an expensive suit or a woman in designer clothes. Fancy dresses. Stealthy clothes bring to mind burglars clad in black outfits and soft-soled sneakers. Get it right, and you transport your readers to a vivid world. Are the characters of your dystopian novel forced to make do with burlap and mud? Since it's a friends' get-together, let's wear casual attire. or the world theyre desperately resisting. Mail was one of the first types of metal armor developed, arguably by the Celts, though other sources say its origins came from Eastern Europe. The answer can guide you towards certain fashion trends to inspire your characters wardrobe. If sturdy is a top consideration, your character might be expecting trouble or adventure. Scarves as we know them today weren't really a thing in the middle ages (they were way different) and hoods pretty much came in the form of chaperons and liripipes (Google for reference if needed), not as part of a piece of clothing. Earlier I mentioned how it's important to try and keep a feel of unfamiliarity to futuristic clothing. Pre-empt this by illustrating everything in layers and completing each layer of clothing. If a knight fell from a horse, he could quite easily pick himself up, not stuck on the ground like a tortoise knocked on its shell. Advertisements. The appearance of armor was a big deal for knights. Here are five examples: 1. Now turn the edges a different color or make them light up and you immediately have a more futuristic looking suit. Trendy: Modern, fashionable, and up-to-date outfits. Conveniently, a lot of high status positions come with outfits or accessories that telegraph a persons position in the hierarchy. Here are some classic characteristics you can draw out through clothing description. I tend to avoid describing clothing. Those of us who dont get all jazzed about writing clothing descriptions often fail to consider that a good wardrobe has layers. If you arent keeping at least a few secrets from your friends and loved ones, are you really living? It's your creation, your imagination and your time you use and spend, so make sure you use and spend it on something you enjoy. Stockings, long gloves, scarves or separate layers of clothing make a huge difference. But they could also dress in modest, inexpensive-looking clothes. Whereas a more confident or attention seeking person might seek out the edges of what's socially acceptable more or just wear more stylish and potentially more colorful or flamboyant clothing. Richie Billing writes fantasy fiction, historical fiction and stories of a darker nature. I'll allow my fangirl side to shine for a second and use the Legend of Korra as an example of how mixing styles can work amazingly well. Both can lose clout simply by the way their peers respond to their wardrobe choices. I'll make a separate point for sci-fi/futuristic clothing and fantasy/historic clothing. If you tell your readers about Nanettes light pink cardigan and string of pearls, you dont have to say much about the shoes and skirt and silk blouse. When describing clothing in writing, consider: You can also use this aspect of clothing description to paint a vivid picture of the world you imagined. How does their attire reflect what they want, what they fear, or where theyre going? Delighted to hear youre finding this useful. The shrewd king essentially licensed out parcels of his land as rewards to his warriors in exchange for their military service. Not to pile on, but dont forget to make sure you know which materials wereand werentavailable in the world of your novel. Character description may change over the course of a story to emphasize a characters arc. "White tunics" have been worn from 2016 to a good forty thousand years ago. These elements are very important when taking into account the previous point. Meanwhile, the character who works two jobs while going to school full-time might scour the Goodwill rack for a designer tag to help them fit in at the same party. First and foremost we need to know who we're designing for. Continued successes could see knights rise higher up the ranks. A scarf for example might be too hot for some areas, but it's obviously easy to leave those out. It took a while to get ready, with the help of somebody else needed, usually squires, who began with the feet and worked up from there. Lets talk about how to use clothing description as a storytelling tool, how to dress your character for their personality and setting, and how to make clothes interesting to anyone. Clothes that are suitable for everyday wear rather than formal occasions. I'm sort of into historical armor so would get a kick out of finding an excuse to talk about vambraces/rerebraces, spaulders, etc. Copyright 2023 Richie Billing | Fantasy Writer. And if you dont write historical fiction? With the major shapes in the thumbnails defined, choose the one that best exemplifies the feeling you're looking for. The more people that join this thriving group the better it becomes. Designing fantasy armor for your characters can be an awful lot of fun. We see the contrast between the characters friends reaction and the advisory words of Gems aunt. To discover more awesome ideas, head over to Pinterest and just search for female fantasy armor. The Victorian author Charles Dickens is widely regarded as a master of characterization, for good reason. Here, for example, Hilary Mantel describes a Cardinals residence being plundered by the Kings men in 1529 England, in her historical novel Wolf Hall. Details about fit, cut, and material go a long way when describing the clothing of a character who longs to attract. If its 1st person you'll describe things from the POV of your character, and I find that that's different than if you're in, for example, 3rd person. Either way, their goal is to be desirable, whatever desirable means in this situation. Youre more than welcome to join us and wed love to have you on board. Mail was lightweight and flexible. Nylon and polyester fabrics weren't invented until almost the mid 20th century for example. That said, once you describe how a person dresses you shouldn't really keep doing it unless it is relevant to the plot. Non-visual senses are big, too. One major element that makes creating more futuristic clothing easier is to make sure it doesn't look familiar, to make sure it doesn't look like something you'd come across today. As a result, feudal England became rife with young murderous men. That fancy Ming dynasty dress looks completely different with exposed shoulders and that medieval set of pants look completely different if you turn them into shorts with exposed legs. Im writing a little in the Epic Fantasy genre and there were quite a few useful notes I wasnt aware of here. (Cough-cough-cough.) A few easy changes are to make one side longer than the other, so basically creating a diagonal cut instead of the standard horizontal one. And if you want more, this documentary is excellent. In other words: To describe a fantasy world, use either neutral terms, or made up words. Also his mother was poor and anyone who knew that might wonder how he could afford such clothing so it hints at the actual story. A scarlet pantsuit. This idea of knights becoming lords was introduced in England by William the Conqueror. In Dostoyevskys Crime and Punishment, the poor, Tuberculosis-stricken Katerina Ivanovnas husband is trampled to death by a horse-drawn cart. Only in certain situations is a description even needed. The fact that You could introduce magical enchantments or ability-granting traits. In a fantasy setting, you may be trying to conjure up a certain feel right off the bat based on how you describe a character's clothing (and the words you use to describe them). Whether its a beekeeping suit, climbing helmet, knee pads, or sun-protective fabric, what your character wears provides a clue about whats at stake in the coming scene. Those outfits can become iconic. In other words, research. They give you the chance to offer comic relief, a dash of wisdom, and just some good old fashioned friendship., Sidekick characters. This is mostly something to keep in mind when designing for characters living in the future, but it could work for alternative historic universes as well. It's something we have today as well, but they're oddly uncommon and work great for more futuristic looks. This one is simple, right? It gives you an idea of the capabilities that armor can have. Maybe your character is snuggled up in their fleece pajamas while the blizzard rages outside. Understanding how to describe clothing in a story well will help you create fuller, richer character portraits. Get free books, an invite to my exclusive writing group, writing tools and guides and much more when you join my community. Lets delve further into these ideas about describing characters dress: Think of your characters clothing like an actors costume in a play. But it can also be fun to play with the confidence and ease that comes with wealth. Further reading How To Write Fight Scenes. You suddenly know which details to include, which to leave out, and whether to call it a blood-red cloak or a goji berry wrap. Would the fashion designers in your fantasy novel make use of dragon scales? In other words take what exists and apply it differently. We therefore see in the fantasy genre characters equipped with grand helmets and beautiful pieces of plate armor. So its unsurprising to see soldiers wielding swords and axes and shooting bows. Chain mail is a great piece of fantasy armor to use in your stories purely because of its flexibility. The jacket has a narrow, rectangular neckline which reveals part of the fancy shirt worn below it and is worn with a light rope belt, which is held together by a simple knot. Leonidas in 300, for instance, almost certainly wore a helmet in the battle with the Persians! But the biggest challenge can sometimes be simply making something look futuristic or historic fantasy-ish, which is the main focus of this guide. But they werent administrators. What would high stakes clothing look like in your story? That cloth ribbon tied around their waist? Now on the other end of the spectrum we have fantasy clothing and more history based clothing. A person who doesn't want to draw attention to themselves would dress completely differently today than they would even a few decades ago. It's easy to try this out too, at least the simple line version. Knights were, indeed, hard to defeat in battle. Maybe their goal is to entice a mate. Theyre just too important defensively. For example, the corset wasn't popular until the 16th century and while earlier versions can be found incredibly early they weren't common place. Which of these clothing types is your character most likely to reach for when starting their day? The easy way to describe the setting is when the characters interact with it, e.g. But Ive also noticed that artful clothing description does make a character, a setting, and even a moment more engaging. Figurative language . You dont need it to sign up. Reeking of piss on the battlefield was another weapon in the arsenal I suppose. Vividly describing the colors of your character's clothing can enliven ordinary writing. Ideas are forever being shared and discussed. Particularly in genres such as historical fiction and fantasy, clothing can help to create other worlds (or a long gone era of our own). Other clothing pieces could be various types of hats and scarves, (trench) coats and even something as simple as pockets or buttons used for fastening rather than as decoration to name just a few. Discover an extensive list of terms you may want to know here. Now add a thick, layered scarf or attach a hood to this tunic and you're already well on your way to a customized look. And of course, location provides a clue for what it takes to be comfortable in the world of your story. Thanks Liv, Im glad you found this helpful. - Gadgets, hair styles and accessories. Clothes can betray our greatest joys and our deepest insecurities. Even the non-conformists are influenced by societal norms. The pieces around the vital organsthe chest and headwere thicker and heavier than those on the arms and legs to try and reduce weight as much as possible. This is further influenced/confirmed by the show Forged in Fire where the judges were a half step from putting their heads in their hands when a smith put his hot blade in water instead of oil to cool it down. At least in most cases. Were trying to avoid, Isabell gazed out the window, and by the way, she was wearing a white terry cloth robe.. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts Sometimes they're more interesting and lovable than the main characters themselves and end up stealing the show., Secrets. It took leaving the Midwest to recognize it. But you may run into difficulties when it comes to the practicalities. - Use lines to break up a piece of clothing and create a kind of mosaic. show how hard is to escape in a narrow street. On the other hand you may wish to add layers for the same purpose. Send private message Achievements: Need help with clothing description in Fantasy #1 I'm writing a Fantasy Novel in the middle ages, filled with swords and magic However, I realize I have trouble trying to convey how the characters look, like what the nobles' attire, the bandit's armor. Elsewhere, Mantels novel is full of descriptions of garments for specific, era-appropriate purposes: Riding cloaks, town coats, and other clothing people of means would have worn at this time. William the Conquerors society was shaped with war in mind. Not to mention the social status of a person. Changes in characters clothing can help revealcharacter development. "A dress" (or using "the" to refer to a particular "garment") means an item of clothing that is normally worn by women. Some wore a trapper a covering of full chain mailand down the line, some horses even had their own plated armor. This article has compiled 100 different words you can use to describe clothes, and below the main list of 100 words we've explained our reasoning for a lot of the top picks from that very list, for your personal enjoyment. They work, they're safe and in many cases have become a standard. Which brings me to my next point. Smart: Neat and tidy clothes but not necessarily formal. Such simple things, but the clothes really helped show Jesus plight. However, you can tell your reader interesting things through a mismatch: A wealthy character might show off their expensive clothing. The description will describe a lot of clothing pieces, some of which you may not need depending on where your character lives. I once wrote about imbuing everyday objects with meaning because talisman create great opportunities for symbolism! "Garb" or "dress" (without an article) is a rather drab abstract noun for what a person is wearing. Who is your character at the beginning of the story, and how can you dress them to establish their normal? A pair of starched Wranglers. Mantel describes the cardinals vestments: They bring out the cardinals vestments, his copes. Nov 1, 2019 - Explore Arisa Nightingale's board "Male Fantasy Outfit Concepts & Designs", followed by 456 people on Pinterest. Lets talk about how to describe clothing in writing organically. When heated, steel turns from yellow, to brown, to blue, to red. Thank you for sharing this valuable information. One character might demonstrate their power by showing up to prom in a designer gown. And what does she put that cap on for? Press J to jump to the feed. But it makes a good story. It really doesnt take much. This includes things like a pilots uniform, a tiara, or a Pink Ladies jacket. Helpful links to blog posts, articles, videos and guides are shared every day. See more ideas about character description, fantasy fashion, fantasy clothing. It can be as simple as making a dress shorter, a jacket longer or sleeves wider and longer. Mail was particularly effective against glancing blows. The bully Gradgrind is the type whod wear a waistcoat concealing an eyeglass for catching people out. Another similar and perhaps way more popular example of this is Steampunk. - Use lines to break up a piece of clothing and create a kind of mosaic. I dont mean camisoles and cardigans. And as a reader, nothing bores me like an entire paragraph of detailed clothing description. I'm talking about the jagged, triangular shapes you find on some stealth planes or the digital camouflage patterns. 60s-inspired. Jeans and a tee it was. Given that I am writing alone in my apartment, you might rightfully conclude that my goal is to be comfortable. Love this topic!! An anxious college student buys a flower crown in the hopes of feeling young and free at Coachella. There's also the element of technology that has to be taken into account. As well see below, one of the best things about using medieval armor in a fantasy story is the freedom to elevate it in some way. You may have seen steelworkers doing this after forging the likes of blades and horseshoes. Make them earn any sightof skin, Aunt P always said. A velvet scrunchie. I thought if I did that at the beginning of a chapter it would be better but I worry it will turn readers off. If done right you could even use these elements alone with clothing of today to sell a futuristic look. But that doesn't mean you can't deviate from these guidelines completely and do whatever you wish. These aren't the only elements either, pretty much every part of clothing changes with the times and depend heavily upon what's fashionable at the time. I like the way you wrote this information. The image you create has to play a role in the narrative.Consider the character arc.

Vazza Funeral Home Revere, Ma Obituaries, Deer Migration Routes California, Scott Rothstein Today, Jennifer Rocha Obituary, What Is Goat Mean Sexually?, Articles H

how to describe fantasy clothing