station nightclub fire survivors list

Phil Barr fought to breathe on his own. Also outside was club owner Jeff Derderian. I couldn't hear noise. I try to say it in the lightest way possible, she said. Jim Axelrod: Do you feel, "Oh my goodness, we're in trouble?". I figured I was on my own at that point.. Tracy King liked to entertain people with his unique talent. [63] Rhode Island Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch objected strenuously to the plea bargain, saying that both brothers should have received jail time and that Michael Derderian should have received more time than Biechele. I'll be right back." One near the bar. He arrived early around 8:30 p.m. Phil Barr: There really weren't that many people around early in the night. The Foam.". Patrick Lynch: Looking back on it I would say they ran it as a side business, an attempt to maybe make some extra money with the callous, utter disregard for those that work there and assemble there. He owned his own construction company, and he was often in the backyard with his sons, improving the landscape or building two ponds that he filled with koi fish. Phil Barr: We kind of crouched down behind some of the people in front of us. Vanner spoke about how his life derailed after 11:07 p.m. on Feb. 20, 2003. Linda Saran: My hospital roommate, he and I took turns driving the respiratory therapist crazy in some ways it's almost like being in war together. It was really everything to me at that time. But she refuses to live in the past. You were not approaching that area at all. Jason Hahn. and I tripped over what I assume was a bar stool. And people just stood there. But then the door would go back up when it was going to be a loud night. Since he co-owned The Station nightclub with his brother Michael Derderian, Jeff suggested it as a venue for generic nightclub footage. For the Derderians, the "full story" begins with the issue of permission. Phil Barr: Yep. He wasnt charged with a crime, but his thoughts punish him. Jody King: "Anybody see Tracy?" ", Scott James: They had their moments. The four exits inside The Station: "There's an exit near the stage an exit through the kitchen. Patrick Lynch: while troubling, concerning, maddening it doesn't mean that somebody should be charged or can be. Susan Nicol. The night of the fire Jeff Derderian gave a statement to the local police and another one to an investigator with the Attorney General's Office. [11] Although the band was officially known as Jack Russell's Great White at the time, and their tour was initially named after Russell's 2002 solo album For You, they were billed by the Station as simply Great White. And so, when the fire inspector came in and said that that door had to come down the door, the door did come down. According to author Scott James, Great White had reportedly used a large pyro display without permission at other clubs, including just days before the fire at a show in New Jersey. [2] The club was cited for nine minor code violations during the first inspection in November 2002, but was not cited for the flammable polyurethane foam the venue used for soundproofing, which was against code. Linda Saran: It's like a riptide. It seems senseless that something like this could happen. On May 10, 2006, State Prosecutor Randall White asked that Biechele be sentenced to ten years in prison, the maximum allowed under the plea bargain, citing the massive loss of life in the fire and the need to send a message. I couldn't hear screaming anymore. [95][49], Neither version of Great White performed in any of the six New England states for over a decade following the fire. His fiance, Tina Ayer, died at 33 in the fire, CBS Boston reported. Scott James: They are what they call 15x15. She took a photograph of the stone of a man who died and sent it to his daughter in California. She saw friends who had lost people they loved, others who had been burned and scarred by the fire, and felt embarrassed that she got out physically unharmed. That is the furthest exit away from the stage But it's a relatively straight line. The blaze began when the band Jack Russell's Great White took the stage and their tour manager set off four large fireworks. But he didn't know what. It was the fourth deadliest fire in a nightclub in US history. In December 2003, nine months after the fire, Jeff and Michael Derderian were in court, each charged with 200 counts of involuntary manslaughter 100 for criminal negligence, and 100 for misdemeanor manslaughter. And settled for $1 million. And that song reminds us of that night. How did you meet him? [92], Russell left Great White in 2010. I'm going to do this. "[91], Two years to the day after the fire, band members Russell and Kendall, along with Great White's attorney, Ed McPherson, appeared on CNN's Larry King Live with three survivors of the fire and the father of Longley, to discuss how their lives had changed since the incident. How he went from being a man with a job he loved and friends, to someone struggling with sobriety and guilt, suffering flashbacks at fire alarms and smoke-like fog. Patrick Lynch: I don't think anybody in anything that they did wanted anybody to die that night or get injured. And a quarter of those people didn't get to go home ever," says survivor Linda Saran, who was severely burned in the fire at The Station nightclub. These are videos of prior performances taken inside the club. So, it was very quickly they were in the circle of people we should look at. Patrick Lynch: Did he do his job perfectly? He trusted in his friends. Patrick Lynch: You're telling me it wasn't, and I don't know that it wasn't. Editor's Note: This story was originally published on Monday, Feb. 19, 2018. . PATRICK LYNCH [news interview]: Certainly, there are people we are looking at, ultimately, we may target. Almost immediately the finger pointing started. Gina Russo of Cranston, R.I. is a survivor of the Station nightclub fire and president of The Station Fire Memorial Foundation. [34], Providence Phoenix columnist Ian Donnis wrote of the effect that the fire had on the close-knit Rhode Island community, "The loss of so much life would represent a tragedy anywhere, but it struck especially hard in Rhode Island, the nation's smallest state, where no place is more than an hour away by car and the fire claimed one tenth of one percent of the state's population. Robin Petrarca was in New York City three weeks ago, looking for some laughs in a comedy club. Linda Saran: I think a lot of people miss out on the moments. Michael Derderian: Correct. I am proud. He said if there's. Jim Axelrod: If you have a message that you want the people of Rhode Island to hear, there were plenty of ways to get it out long before now. He got a tire iron from his car, smashed the glass, and started pulling people out. He threw my wife, my cousin, my uncle, my sister out a window." But 15 years later, she said, its time for her to move out of its shadow. However, fire professionals have few choices about what training should be provided and training programs are continually updated to incorporate new technologies as well as lessons learned from actual fire experiences. [9] In 2005, the Rhode Island Attorney General office received a fax from Barry Warner, a former employee of American Foam who lived nearby the Station, who claimed the company had known about the dangers of polyurethane foam but did not warn their employees about it. SAN JOSE (BCN) - Three people were injured in a shooting that occurred Saturday morning at San Jose's Aura nightclub. Biechele pleaded guilty to 100 counts of misdemeanor manslaughter, and Michael and Jeff Derderian pleaded no contest. That exit door would soon be engulfed in flames. We're running out of time." it became very, very hard to breathe. The pyrotechnics were gerbs, cylindrical devices that produce a controlled spray of sparks. Jeff Derderian: I remember we were trying to get people away from the building. [95], Russell performed a benefit show in February 2013 in Hermosa Beach, California in commemoration of the tenth anniversary of the fire. A West Warwick police officer who was already at the scene also reported the fire to police dispatch. Biechele pleaded guilty to 100 counts of misdemeanor manslaughter and was sentenced to four years in prison. The Station nightclub fire occurred on the evening of February 20, 2003 at The Station, a nightclub and hard rock music venue in West Warwick, Rhode Island, United States, killing 100 people and injuring 230. Jody King: We never knew the whole story because the trial never happened, so everything really never came out. Jody King: Hopped out of bed, grabbed my clothes, grabbed my keys, hopped in the car and took off. That night is not a coherent memory for her, she said, but a sequence of moments when she was hyper-focused on finding her friends or helping those around her. America's Deadliest Rock Concert: The Guest List explores the Station nightclub fire through gripping survivor accounts and family members and friends of victims who have memorialized their loss . 2021 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. Michael Derderian: The club was sold. Brandon Fravale, a survivor of The Station nightclub fire, speaks with NBC 10 on how he copes with survivor's guilt. Jim Axelrod: How do you know he went in nine times? [5] Local bands that had played at the Station prior to the fire had used pyrotechnics during their concerts without incident, including a Kiss tribute band that had set off fireballs during their show in August 2002. Investigators eventually discovered the fax was sent by Barry Warner, a former employee at American Foam the company that had sent the Derderians the packing foam made of flammable polyurethane. Her bill was $646 that month, she said. [33] One survivor claimed that a bouncer blocked a side door as attendees attempted to escape the building, stating the door was only to be used by the band. That night, he allowed a cameraman to shoot footage inside the club for an upcoming story about safety in public venues. But I should have at least tried.. Michael Derderian: Jeffrey was responsible for all the marketing activities. It was crowded, and it was getting bad. But I made a choice. Michael Derderian: He finds the deficiencies, you have to correct the deficiencies and then signs off so that you so you can get your liquor license that happened in 2000. [43][45], An investigation of the fire by a Rhode Island state grand jury was started by then-Rhode Island Attorney General Patrick Lynch on February 26, 2003. Michael Derderian: That is correct. Since the fire, I have wanted to tell the victims and their families how truly sorry I am for what happened that night and the part that I had in it. I just don't find him as guilty of anything. He was worried about his brother Tracy who worked there as a bouncer. Phil Barr: I remember the smoke descended really quickly. [54] Darigan remarked, "The greatest sentence that can be imposed on you has been imposed on you by yourself. But what they received was highly flammable packing foam. For the first few years she shunned memorial ceremonies but eventually was convinced to go. It is the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history. The Station nightclub fire would become one of the deadliest fires in a club in U.S. history. I never thought it would get so bad., He told bartender Julie Mellini that they had to leave, and she and several patrons followed Vanner out the kitchen door. [39] WPRI-TV and Derderian were criticized for the conflict of interest in having a reporter do a report concerning his own property. [31], Four employees of the Station were killed in the fire. Joe Kinan was badly burned in the deadly Station Nightclub fire in Rhode Island that left 100 dead and 230 injured in February 2003 . And I took a good look and I said, "Oh, st, I'm burned.". Patrick Lynch: Again, any reference in this conversation about what the brothers say, I I take a step back and think I don't really trust it. Phil Barr: I went around the people trying to push to the front door. So, the only way to pick up a can of soda would be to do this [lifting both arms out parallel in front of her]. She said she went into the club that night a naive, fun-loving 27-year-old and came out angry and feeling guilty. Scott James: They only have about 60 seconds to get out of the building if they're going to live. For people to know you can go there now and look at this beautiful park and talk to your person thats what I love about it.. The trunk bears the names of the fire victims. The fire left her with burns over 40 percent of her body, it incinerated her hair. Published on August 10, 2017 09:05 AM. There's an exit near the stage. undisputable. They were told to take it down. "We never knew the whole story because the trial never happened, so everything really never came out," says Jody King, whose brother worked at The Station as a bouncer. The brothers have since learned that the fire marshal should have tested the foam on the wall. The night of the fire, hundreds of people gathered at The Station to see Great White, an 80s band now with some new members lead by singer Jack Russell and known mainly for their hit "Once Bitten, Twice Shy. You bury nine people in a period of less than two weeks, she said, and yeah, I think it affects you. Marc Goldbaum is the development producer. [97] Russell raised about $180 from the concert, but the Memorial Foundation refused the donation, a decision supported by Kendall. The night of the fire, hundreds of people gathered at The Station to see the band Great White. Michael Derderian: I don't know about that. And then the main exit that hallway where everyone came through," explains Scott James. It justit was so fast. "[58] The state parole board received approximately twenty letters, the majority of which expressed their sympathy and support for Biechele, some going as far as to describe him as a "scapegoat" with limited responsibility. So, to the people who think we don't own it I'm telling you, we DO own it ok? [90] Russell planned to donate the proceeds to the Station Fire Memorial Foundation, but the organization asked to be disassociated from the concert, citing the animosity still felt by many of the survivors and surviving families. It took a while, she said, but she thinks she had found the way to move on from it but to keep it with her as well. that door being up, there is no question that that increased the likelihood that many, many more would perish. [76] The Rhode Island state fire code was changed after the fire to require every nightclub in the state with a capacity of over 150 people to have a sprinkler system installed.[3]. It was liquid fire. In an exclusive interview with "48 Hours" contributor Jim Axelrod, the Derderians said they wanted to set the record straight and reveal new information about that foam and accountability. The Station nightclub in West Warwick burned down on Feb. 20, 2003, during a concert by rock band Great White, leaving 100 people dead and more than 200 injured. Unlike many of the patrons there, this was Barr's first time at the club. Barr was now outside, but he felt like his lungs were on fire. "[55] Biechele was released in March 2008. [48], Following the tragedy, Governor Donald Carcieri declared a moratorium on pyrotechnic displays at venues that hold fewer than 300 people. This page was last edited on 3 March 2023, at 14:21. [49] The tour started five months after the fire, and each concert began with a prayer for survivors and families. Scott James: You have four exits. [37] The report had been inspired by the E2 nightclub stampede in Chicago that killed 21 people three days earlier. Scott James has written a book about the tragedy called "Trial by Fire.". She got out. The Guest List is based in part on John Barylick's narrative non-fiction work, killer show, the station nightclub fire, America's deadliest rock concert. In the other rooms, the smoke hadn't gotten to them, the flame wasn't that bad, they didn't think anything of it. Tweet. And I was paying staff pricing for beer because I knew a guy. VIEW ALL PHOTOS. Firefighters responded within five minutes, and the building was fully engulfed within six minutes, according to a timeline assembled by WPRI. The Station Nightclub Fire - University of Cincinnati pdf To summarize the reports, specifically about how people exited, the vast majority of people attempted to exit the way they came in. The biggest question was, why had the fire spread so quickly? . [58] Others pointed out that Biechele had sent handwritten letters to the families of each of the 100 victims and that he had a work release position in a local charity. We took shortcuts. Jim Axelrod: Were you a fan of the band Great White? Nancy Kramer is the executive story editor. He was the. But does that mean it's not a crime? And he's like he don't know. [21], Among those who died in the fire were Great White guitarist Ty Longley, and the show's emcee, WHJY DJ Mike "The Doctor" Gonsalves. Tracy died never giving up. / CBS News. and I just kind of went down on my face. They said a critical piece of evidence was never presented to the grand jury. The Station nightclub in West Warwick, R.I., was on fire . The brothers decided that because Jeff had young kids, Michael would go. [21] The fire spread throughout the building and was completely engulfed within six minutes of the pyrotechnic ignition. I said to myself, we gotta go. [48] The capacity for the Station was either 258 or 404, depending on how the building was being used. Scott James: The fire alarm you hear it kick in. The TIAs required automatic fire sprinklers in all existing nightclubs and similar locations that accommodate more than 100 occupants, and all new locations in the same categories. In February 2008, Providence television station. It had to be two minutes tops before the whole place was black smoke. About a month after the fire Barr went home from the hospital. She had a cellphone that was working and handed it off to anyone who needed to call home and let their family know they were safe. Biechele. The fire was the fourth-deadliest at a nightclub in U.S. history, and the second-deadliest in New England, behind the 1942 Cocoanut Grove fire, which resulted in 492 deaths. During a concert by the rock band Great White, a pyrotechnic display ignited flammable acoustic foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. Linda Saran and Phil Barr, badly injured, were transported to a local hospital. There had to be that period for me. these contracts are pretty specific. [35], The fire, from its inception, was caught on videotape by cameraman Brian Butler for WPRI-TV of Providence, and the beginning of that tape was released to national news stations. We couldn't make it. That happened in 2002. [12] Great White's popularity had waned in the decade prior to the Station fire, and they had been performing on a touring circuit of small clubs with capacities of up to 500 people. [80], A permanent memorial at the site of the fire has been erected and named the Station Fire Memorial Park. He spent 33 months in prison, while Jeff had to do 500 hours of community service. if I had nothing to hide, then why wouldn't you why wouldn't you talk to them and tell them what you knew or what you didn't know? But, you know, they have this following to this day . Scott James: It should not have happened. Linda Saran: Most of the crowd thought it was part of the show and didn't move. [27] A portion of the nightclub roof collapsed at 11:57 p.m., and a second portion in the building's sunroom collapsed at 12:07 a.m..[24] Patients were transported to Kent Hospital, which was filled to maximum capacity due to the fire. There is one consistent thing I have learned after 18 years in the The third started that day. The following day the brothers responded at a press conference: JEFF DERDERIAN: No permission was ever requested by the band or any of its agents to use pyrotechnics at The Station, and no permission was ever given. It was like what? Survivors of the Station nightclub fire reflect on tragedy's 20th anniversary One hundred people were killed and many more injured when a pyrotechnic display caused a massive blaze in 2003.. As the crowd bottlenecked at the clubs entrance, thick black smoke poured out of the building and over their heads. [98], 41, a documentary about Nicholas O'Neill, the youngest victim of the fire, was screened at Rhode Island theaters in 2008. [tears up, shaking his head]. Linda Saran: When I first went out the window, I landed on the stairs. I was asked to work the merch table for the band, so I was getting 40 bucks and two T-shirts. And I said my hands won't work. But Jeff Derderian, who was helping out at the bar, says he and an employee tried to get to the stage with a fire extinguisher. This is a company that did little to educate their employees about the limits of polyurethane foam. It did not. Barr was located between the stage and the front door. And they played the arenas. Lourdes Aguiar is the senior producer. One near the bar. Your California Privacy Rights/Privacy Policy. The State of Rhode Island and the town of West Warwick agreed to pay $10 million as settlement. [48] The grand jury also did not return charges against Russell. [tears up] And the roof and just everything just fast, too fast. So, I would think that the pyrotechnic provision would be in there just like we need to have, you know, 12 M&Ms, I mean, you know, and they need to be brown. there was nothing that would make it so you couldn't get out of it. Phil Barr: Being a survivor of The Station nightclub fire is a piece of who I am. At least 64 others were also sued, including the state of Rhode Island citedforthe fire inspector's failure to report the flammable foam during multiple inspections. His work was instrumental in amassing 176 million dollars in settlements from persons and corporations responsible for the fire. fine against Station Nightclub owners upheld", "Station nightclub fire survivor tells how she's moved on in new book", "The Station fire took emotional toll on survivors, study finds", "Tentative $30 million deal in R. I. nightclub fire", "TV station that assigned reporter to cover his own nightclub raises ethical issue", "Station Video Spurs Lawsuit - Pollstar News", "Nightclub owner resigns from WPRI television", "Report of the Technical Investigation of The Station Nightclub Fire: Appendices (NIST NCSTAR 2), Volume 2", "Grand Jury Convened to Probe Deadly R.I. The brothers say there was evidence that the grand jury never heard. Survivor Phil Barr arrived to The Station early the night of the concert. WEST WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) - Saturday marks the 18-year anniversary of the Station Nightclub fire that left lasting scars on numerous families and the state of Rhode Island. They should have blamed more. Why had the fire spread so quickly? [101], The Derderian brothers conducted their first television interview about the fire in 2021 for 48 Hours. According to Lynch, under Rhode Island law, the fire marshal could not be criminally charged unless there was evidence of bad faith or malice. "[63] He added that the difference in the brothers' sentences reflected their respective involvement with the purchase and installation of the flammable foam. It would have been my legacy, Vanner said. He was the. That happened in 2001. Regardless, Lynch points out the Derderians still chose to take a plea deal instead of going to trial. He turned back to see the crowd bottle-necked at the stage. My friends were dead, my other friends are severely injured, I no longer look like myself. Today she is president of the Station Fire Memorial Foundation, the group that oversaw the construction of the memorial park. Linda Saran still places much of it on the Derderian brothers. Jim Axelrod: Mr. Warner's fax wasn't presented to the grand jury, correct? Station nightclub fire survivor tells burn victims love can happen amid scars, fears: Joe Kinan has had more than 120 surgeries, not the least of which was a hand transplant. American Foam Corporation, who sold the insulation to The Station nightclub, agreed in 2008 to pay $6.3 million to settle lawsuits relating to the fire. In February 2006 three years after the station nightclub burned down many in Rhode Island were shocked to learn that instead of a trial, a plea deal had been reached with Daniel Biechele, the tour manager for the band Great White. [12] Kendall, who had co-founded the band with Russell in 1977, had rejoined Russell's version of the group in 2002. After 15 years of it being a dominant part of her everyday life, she said she is ready for it to be a part of her past. Since 2003, the approach of the anniversary of the Station fire, where she and her twin sister, Cara Ann, got out unhurt while 100 others died and about 200 more were injured, was four weeks of dread. Gina Russo, a survivor of The Station nightclub fire. These days, she uses her job as a teacher at John F. Deering Middle School to make it so those who didnt suffer so directly will remember it too. Michael Derderian: It would have been horrific to have people go through this. 0:57. According to Bostonherald.com, a memorial fund that raises money for survivors of The Station nightclub fire received at least $25,000 in donations after a benefit concert aired on television, organizers said today..

Cities At 53 Degrees North Latitude, Calendly Api Documentation, Agave And Rye Nutrition Information, Articles S

station nightclub fire survivors list