tony mckegney family

He was the fifth black man to play in the league. And my teammates treated me like I was not any different than anybody. All rights reserved. Fast forward to 1987-88, and my performance in the NHL was helping to prove the stereotypes wrong. Following his time in Buffalo, he spent two seasons with the Quebec Nordiques, then made stops in Minnesota (North Stars), New York (Rangers), St. Louis and Detroit before finding his way back to Quebec. Tony McKegney The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. It saddens me to hear the accounts of the current crop of Black players and other players of color that are still facing the same obstacles and ugly behavior that I encountered when I was their age. Instead, he was drafted 32nd-overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 1978 and went on to score over 320 goals. Tony currently does periodic work on behalf of the Red Wings Alumni Association and the Buffalo Sabres Alumni Hockey Team. Anytime I faced adversity, I said, Okay, Im going to put a couple of pucks in the net today for sure. And I was just going to show everybody that I was as good or better than them. But I cherish everything about that goal that found my stick in the last minute of the last game of my 1987-88 season with the St. Louis Blues. After playing in 64 games for the Rangers, Tony was traded to the St. Louis Blues on May 28, 1987 along with Rob Whistle in exchange for Bruce Bell and future considerations. I remember starting the season with 10 goals in the first 15 games and getting a lot of ice time. The Zamboni word mark and configuration of the Zamboni ice resurfacing machine are registered trademarks of Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. 2023. It's not the 40 goals I scored. Overall, his NHL career saw him appear in 912 regular season games and accrue 639 points. The goal is to make stereotypes disappear by making people from all backgrounds feel welcome, celebrated, and empowered on an equal playing field. Until we get rinks in the inner (American) cities, I dont think thats going to change.. And obviously we watched the games, the Leafs and the Red Wings on TV back in the six-team league. In fact, I think their parents were thinking about saying, Look, why dont you just go play soccer, because it was so bad as far as the remarks. Tony McKegney (born Anthony Syiid McKegney on February 15, 1958) is a retired Canadian professional ice hockey player, who played in the NHL for 13 seasons from 1978-79 until 1990-91. Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. The Bulls released McKegney from his contract, and he joined the Sabres as their second-round draft choice. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Tony McKegney. Unlimited access for the whole family until Feb 21. . Statistics of Tony McKegney, a hockey player from Montreal, PQ born Feb 15 1958 who was active from 1973 to 1993. Coming into the next season, he thought he was a shoo-in to make the team. After playing for 15 years professionally, it was a hard transition and Im sure Ive made some mistakes and would do some things differently. The Getty Images design is a trademark of Getty Images. After playing for Pickering, Saunders got a full scholarship to Western Michigan University and played there for four years. He sat down with Donnovan Bennett to discuss the struggles, success and lessons that came. We use cookies to improve your experience. Born: February 15,1958 inMontreal,Quebec ca, Draft: Buffalo, 2nd round (32ndoverall), 1978NHLAmateur. 32) of the 1978 NHL Draft. Find out more. Jarrett won the scoring title and says he couldn't have done it without Saunders at his side. My first time playing against another black hockey player was probably my third year in the NHL, Grant Fuhr and Ray Neufeld. Tony McKegney (r.) with brothers Mike (l.) and Steve in front of their house in Sarnia, Ontario in 1970. "They always came up with their hardest stuff, their elbows and what-not, and tried to punish me.". The Buffalo Sabres recently unveiled a partnership with local artist Edreys Wajed in honor of Black History Month. He paved the way for me. Sabres Memories is presented by BCBSWNY. He became a standout in hockey while playing junior, scoring 135 points in 66 games in 1976-77. He played in Detroit for only 14 games before being traded back to the Quebec Nordiques on December 4, 1989 in exchange for Robert Picard and Greg Adams. My mother and father -- who adopted me from an orphanage in Montreal, and who happen to be white -- built a hockey rink in our backyard every winter, where I'd skate with my siblings. In fact, I didn't play against another Black hockey player for nearly 18 years -- when Ray Neufeld, Grant Fuhr, and I were all active in the League. Looking back on his incredible career and contribution, McKegney shared with me the pleasure, pain and purpose hockey brought to his life. Then the Buffalo Braves were there, the basketball team. By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. The Nordiques didn't have a farm team that year, so he was sent to play for the Nova Scotia Voyageurs, one of the Montreal Canadiens' farm teams. Saunders was a shy, quiet kid with a remarkable work ethic, Bassin recalls. TM: No, not really. "Tony McKegney showed me it was possible for someone like me to play in the NHL," future Hall of Famer Jarome Iginla said in author Cecil Harris' book, "Breaking The Ice, The Black Experience in Professional Hockey." "He set the example. He has three 30-goal seasons. SN: Trevor Daley went through a difficult, racially insensitive experience with John Vanbiesbrouck. Showing Editorial results for sabres tony mckegney. An error has occurred while trying to update your details. Transaction information may be incomplete. TM: I knew John because we were teammates, we were roommates, and it seemed out of character for him. Contents 1 Playing Career 2 Post-Playing Career 3 Career Statistics 4 Accolades 5 Personal Life Playing Career There were a few other (skaters) that were sort of up and down.. If you said Tony McKegney, you are correct. Part of the reason McKegney wants to continue a while longer is because of sons Daniel, 2 1/2 , and Robert, 7 months. Obviously, I know Im on the back 9 - if you want to compare it to golf. He decided to sign as a free agent with the Nordiques because he felt they would give him the best opportunity to play right away plus, he would be reunited with Demers. One house seemed perfect for me and my wife, Sue. "I was incredulous. As a teenager, he played for Jr. 'B' hockey in Sarnia. Hes won Stanley Cups.. Go beyond the basics. He is not dating anyone. Jets, Hockey Night in Canada: Maple Leafs vs. Canucks on Sportsnet, Hockey Night in Canada: Oilers vs. Eliteprospects.com hockey player profile of Tony McKegney, 1958-02-15 Montral, QC, CAN Canada. McKegney has remained in the NHL largely because of his skating skills, his durability and the steadiness he mentioned. He said, Just turn on the red light, which means scoring a goal. Saunders scored twice in his debut, and it quickly became clear to Bassin he should have been playing at a higher level. Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane on salary cap, Gabe Davis expectations, Damar Hamlin update and more, Sabres place Alex Tuch on injured reserve; top-line winger's status is uncertain, Owner of Buffalo CPA firm denies claims of financial, workplace wrongdoing, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to take year off from coaching, Yellow Corp. to close two trucking terminals, Sabres acquire defenseman Riley Stillman from Vancouver for prospect Josh Bloom, 14 police agencies break up fights outside Boulevard Mall, Democrats explore blue-collar struggles as brand is 'damaged', Erie County comptroller calls for state to investigate Forest Lawn, Oklahoma RB Eric Gray at the NFL scouting combine, Ohio State C Luke Wypler speaks at the NFL scouting combine, UB players mom sings stirring rendition of national anthem on senior night, Serena Williams says her daughter doesn't like playing tennis. After completing the 1990-91 season with the Chicago Blackhawks, Tony would spend a season in Italy with HC Varese as well as three games with the Canadian National Team. Im sure it affected me. Streamline your workflow with our best-in-class digital asset management system. The people in our hometown of Sarnia, Ont., were so supportive through sports. Of his 13 years in the NHL, he spent the most time with the Sabres. Tony McKegney (front, second from r.) and his Sarnia Bees teammates of the Western Ontario Junior B Hockey League in 1973. And it wasn't hard to find a different place to live in St. Louis, which is a wonderful city that I've always enjoyed. The next day, the other team's coach called to apologize for what had happened, which Saunders found promising a sign that things were changing, albeit slowly. McKegney spent less than two years with the Nordiques, and had several more stops around the NHL during the next several seasons. McKegney was the first Black Canadian hockey player to make an impact in the NHL. Buffalo Sabres Schedule, Roster, News, and Rumors | Die By The Blade, Celebrating Black History Month: Tony McKegney, Game Thread: Sabres vs. Most recently in the IHL with San Diego Gulls. TM: It just made me want to be better. I feel that I had a pretty good upbringing. Reality doesn't always add up. 6-0 , 200lb (183cm, 90kg) Born: February 15 , 1958 (Age: 64-344d) in Montreal, Quebec ca. There were five centermen on that team who were great passers, and when you're playing with so many good centermen, you're going to get chances every game. There weren't many black players in the junior league at the time. "I was just this shy, quiet kid in Chteauguay. 20 Sabres Tony Mckegney Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images All News Archival Browse 20 sabres tony mckegney stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. McKegney was arrested June 23 and pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree criminal contempt on July 8, according to court records. If no results appear, use Enter to do a full site search. I just pushed the stereotypes to the background and kept hockey in the forefront. "I could not imagine [why] this guy wasn't given a better opportunity," Bassin said. Forward Born Feb 15 1958 -- Montreal, PQ [65 yrs. When he was still a toddler, his family moved to the Toronto area. Question, Comment, Feedback, or Correction? I suppressed a lot of things over the years. So I did the only thing I could do: I focused on perseverance. Any other third party trademarks or copyrights are the property of their respective owners. He was a 4x 30-goal scorer and set career highs in 1988 with 40 goals and 78 points. It can be difficult to talk about how those views affect you as a person. We only use official stats. These brave athletes are actively changing hockey culture for the better. 1989-1990 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) 1987-1988 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (4) 1986-1987 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) 1985-1986 Postseason Fight Card NHL (2) 1983-1984 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) Customize your lineup with your favourite leagues and teams. Editor's note: As part of the NHL celebrating Black History Month throughout February, NHL.com will present first-person essays by some of the game's key Black players and executives. He played six games and didn't score, but played well. . It was a personal best for me -- the first and only time I'd join the NHL's 40-goal club. Jarome Iginla gave me a very nice compliment when he said he felt he was at home on the ice and in the school yard, because he could say, Hey, Tony McKegney, hes playing in the NHL. He felt like he belonged on a hockey rink because I was out there. They were around five and six years old. Saunders decided that was it. Saunders didn't seem bitter or disappointed about not quite making it in the NHL, Jarrett said. Part one focused on diversity and race in hockey, while part two reflected back on their time with the Sabres/Amerks. by Get all the latest stats, news, videos and more on Tony McKegney Subscribe to Stathead Hockey: Get your first month FREEYour All-Access Ticket to the Hockey Reference Database. There was nothing special about the goal. Today, were giving a quick shoutout to former Buffalo Sabres forward Justin Bailey. Data Provided By There have been 93 black players in the NHL. For more, check out this Q&A with McKegney & Sportsnet: While its we celebrate the historic achievements of Black players throughout Sabres history, its equally important to celebrate the Black players in the NHL today, including several with current or former ties to the Buffalo Sabres organization. I was trying to convey something that I think is still true today: Sports can be the common denominator that brings people together. SN: How did it make you feel when you saw it? Important: An official team/league url or a team document must be provided for us to update player stats. Use arrows to navigate between autocomplete results. Any other third party trademarks or copyrights are the property of their respective owners. Browse 82 tony mckegney stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. McKegney was supposed to play in the WHA for the Birmingham Bulls, but the team illegally voided his deal after fans in Alabama threatened a boycott. Look, there's a Black player who did what some people said he couldn't. Jets on Sportsnet, Marchment, Pavelski end droughts as Stars dominate Avalanche, Cooper on benching Stamkos, Kucherov, Point: 'Weren't giving us the best chance to win', Bertuzzi sets up goal, Bruins stretch winning-streak in win over Rangers, Lightning fall to Sabres, bench Kucherov, Stamkos, Point for third period, {* backButton *} Other blacks are forward Dirk Graham of the Minnesota North Stars, goaltender Eldon Pokey Reddick and forward Paul Neufeld of the Winnipeg Jets. He believes his call up was a reward for his performance in the minors. People had a certain amount of respect for us athletically.. [RELATED: Black History Month coverage |Hockey Is For Everyone coverage]. He jumped to the AHLs Hershey Bears and then the Sabres, making his NHL debut in the 1978-79 season. SN: Given what you went through in your career, does it make it tougher to hear stories of the abuse faced by players who came after you? I just tried to shut everything else out. Your existing password has not been changed. To see your localized preferences, please enable geolocation services in your browser settings. The Montreal-born left wing was a big scorer in junior hockey, finishing with 135 points (58 goals, 77 assists) in 66 games with Kingston of the Ontario Major Junior Hockey League in 1976-77 and 92 points (43 goals, 49 assists) in 55 games the following season, when he also played for Canada at the IIHF World Junior Championship. Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. Previously, in the early '80s, one of my team's assistant coaches advised me to start dating a Black woman instead of Sue for similarly ignorant and bigoted reasons. Two years ago, when he scored 15 times and had 25 assists, was the only season he scored fewer than 23 goals or compiled fewer than 45 points. Only once has he played in fewer than 60 of the regular season's 80 games. Get access to our unique free agency lists and many more premium features. That fast-forwarding tends to bypass the magical middle and the stories of many players who felt alone but nonetheless accomplished great things, opening opportunities for those who followed. He was a 4x 30-goal scorer and set career highs in 1988 with 40 . Jarome Iginla. I tried to, basically, suppress a lot of those feelings back then, and I just buried a lot of things. Hockey made me gave me all the confidence in the world.". "We were so influenced by Hockey Night in Canada," he said, of himself and John. Sign up for EP Premium and verify your profile to access these benefits. Who was the first Black player to top 40 goals in an NHL season? SN: How has it impacted you as youve moved on from the game? His father eventually returned to Nigeria, and when Tony was a year old, he was adopted by the McKegneys, a white couple that lived in Sarnia, Ontario.

Golf Ball Deaths Per Year, Savage Arms Serial Numbers Manufacture Date, Manzano Mountains Turkey Hunting, Terence Mckenna Wife, Articles T

tony mckegney family