what did jane fonda vietnam

She has to be a murderess too. If a prisoner tried to escape, it is quite understandable that he would probably be beaten and tortured.. "KOREA: Shortly thereafter Truman, with Congress averting its eyes, committed U.S. troops to Korea. After Fonda returned from hertrip, the State Department spoke out against her. Respected online resources such as Snopes, Truth Miners, and Urban Legends have all cited key persons in the infamous email as having refuted its claims. Megyn Kelly lit into Jane Fonda on Monday, highlighting the behavior that earned the actress the nickname Hanoi Jane while defending the time last fall when she questioned Fonda about plastic surgery. Sadly, the Founders also mixed a great deal of Greco-Roman Humanism with this heritage, allowing room for much of what you decry. She was a symbol of a divided nation. "CHINA: Following WWII, Mao Tse-Tung, financed by the international banks, led his Chinese communists in an armed conflict against nationalist China under Generalissimo Chiang Kai-Shek, America's ally against Japan. Jane, now 84, is The one story that was true never touched the question of whether or not she directly participated in war crimes. Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Her suit was later settled for a reported $20 million. The cover called her Ms. Fonda was accused of engaging in war crimes on behalf of the North Vietnamese. They realized that the war was wrong, that we werent wanted there. "Flashpoint Vietnam," the real story about the road to the war. And I don't NORTH: Well, that's not going to happen. After we published Peter Braunsteins article on Jane Fonda in our July/August issue, perhaps 60 people sent me this story. Fonda was lambasted for her trip to North Vietnam in 1972 during the Vietnam War. [5] One man who was supposed to have encountered Jane Fonda, one Colonel Larry Carrigan, has denied any claim that he ever met her. Even so, the main focus of my essay was whether Jane Fonda participated in war crimes, not whether she was morally culpable for her part as an apologist for the mistreatment of POW's (she was). Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. quote: Fonda was a political activist in the counterculture era during the Vietnam War. I wanted to tell them what I was seeing as an American on the ground there. He hadnt liked the story but at least was willing to discuss it. Mr. Nolan wrote something that helped me better understand the fury of this sort of reaction. "Because of this," the narrative continues, "I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a piece of steel placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane every time my arms dipped." The reality of it is an apology is saying, "I am sorry, I really do apologize for what I did over there, and I'm asking for your forgiveness." ED GRUMMETT, USMC: The night before we made the landing at Chu Yuan (ph) we were listening to Hanoi Hannah and how they were going to annihilate us on the beach. Fifty years later, he bears witness again. This article was published more than4 years ago. Did we lie about the body that we planted on Omaha Beach (search), trying to convince the Germans that we were going to land somewhere else? The story surfaced on the Internet in 1999, and my guess is that it will live there a long time. Jane Fonda is a star of stage and screen whose career began in 1960. CHRIS WALLACE: Your most famous protest was 50 years ago when you went to North Vietnam at the height of the war there. Lets break down her remarks. Four die; one, Col. Larry Carrigan, survivesjust barely, but it is he who tells about the incident. I mean, the reality of it is that's not an apology. Congress held hearings. Alisyn Camerota hosted a number of Fox News programs during a 16-year run that ended in 2014. Thus, Europe, Russia, China, Korea, Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand, Japan, the Middle East were turned into killing grounds, and their existing governments destroyed. All Rights Reserved, Copyright MAGA Conservatives. However, when my credibility is challenged, I will respond. No license is granted to the user of this material except for the user's personal or internal use and, in such case, only one copy may be printed, nor shall user use any material for commercial purposes or in any fashion that may infringe upon Fox News Network, L.L.C. One of the times it did, Im happy to say, was with Keith Nolan, the author of several books on the war, most recently Ripcord , a superb account of the 101st Airborne in the conflicts last great battle. In July of 1972, she made two trips to Hanoi which earned her the nickname Hanoi Jane. Urban Legends story then identifies the POW and gives some quotes about his treatment by the NVA. Here are her comments: Many of our veterans still call her Hanoi Jane thanks to her radio broadcasts, which attempted to shame American troops. }); We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Many Americans traveled to Vietnam on peace delegations to end the war, yet it was Jane Fonda who was captured as a timeless image when she was photographed looking through a Viet Cong anti-aircraft gun. No one with half a brain took Jane Fonda seriously then, or for that matter, now. She called our president, according to this report, "a new type of Hitler," pilots "war criminals.". Just another old women of no consequence, don't give her any credit for ending the war, people like John Kerry and Max Cleland don't even think it's over yet. Shewas active in the Black Panthers and marched for the rights of American Indians, soldiers and working mothers. It meant re-taking the same bloody ground over and over again. 5:15 After numerous apologies over four decades, its time to let Hanoi Jane Fonda off the hook for Vietnam. The Nixon Justice Department poured over the transcripts of my broadcasts trying to find a way to put me on trial for treason but they could find none. I mean again, I'm not trying to be pedantic about it, but an apology is, "I'm sorry for what I said. Fonda may have regrets about those photos in particular, but shes never regretted her political activism. Now, I leave it NORTH: Well, yes, as a matter of fact I think she is. I am assured it will be taken care of. Her visit actually took place in 1972. UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: How are you, G.I. Listen closely. But she maintains she was not a traitor by speaking out against the war or trying to turn soldiers against it, because she still believesthe U.S. government was lying to them. Hanoi Jane told 60 Minutes that photos snapped while she sat on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal and the largest lapse of judgment I can imagine. Though she did say, meeting the locals, other artists, and intellectuals were well worth it. My question is, when will people like Fonda and Kerry (unlike Joan Baez) take responsibility for what they have wrought -- the totalitarian system that gave us re-education camps and the boat people? The great General Douglas MacArthur drove the North Koreans, led by Red Chinese Fonda addresses the media in December 1972 to protest U.S. military involvement in the Vietnam War. On a hot, stickyMay afternoon in 1970,a crowd of several thousand students and protesterstook over the University of Maryland mall. That begs the question, responsible for what? Perhaps most dramatically, in March 1973, the Maryland state legislature held a hearing to have Fonda and her films barred from the state. Her lawsuit started it all: Former Fox host Gretchen Carlson claims Ailes repeatedly sexually harassed her. Ive never really wanted to settle.. JANE FONDA: Well, I didnt like it. In her 2005 memoir, My Life So Far, Fonda wrote of the infamous photo this way: Still,for some veterans, no apology from Fonda will ever change their views of her as an adversaryof America and the troops during wartime. There is no doubt these treasonous no-win US wars were meant to disillusion the American nation into accepting loss of sovereignty and one world government." Especially considering that the Republican Party has obviously now been captured by the same forces (the 'Illuminati', hehehe). I mean, the reality is, there were 24,000 American troops on the ground in South Vietnam. Its folklore, but folklore of a curiously evolved sort. And, you know, I think they thought, Oh, shes this white privilege rich, famous daughter of all of that stuff. If I was Vietnamese, I probably would have tried to do the same thing, you know, but I should not have gone. You will not be surprised to hear that I have bowdlerised the above considerably, removing racial designators and course expressions of various sorts. I make it a habit not to intervene as an intern. His alliance with the Reds made sense, since both upheld elite control of the world. How unfair! Thats what made me laugh. In Hanoi, Fonda also met with seven American POWs and later said they asked her to tell their friends and family to support presidential candidate George McGovern; they feared theyd never be freed during a Richard Nixon administration. JANE FONDA: It was a terrible mistake. https://twitter.com/MegynTODAY/status/955454505067470848. Johnson solemnly announced that "Communist aggression must be stopped as a threat to American security!" And it was a terrible mistake because of the image that it showed, which was not at all what the reality was. On the basis of those meetings alone, she proclaimed that American POW's weren't being mistreated, and that any who said they were mistreated werte either liars, or were simply experiencing punishment for their racist treatment and attitude towards their Vietnamese captors. Also Read: Megyn Kelly Trashed by Rosie O'Donnell as 'Spineless Wanna Be Barbie' for Jane Fonda Spat. LBJ and Congress share responsibility for the Gulf of Tonkin resolution, with its dubious basis, and everything that followed. Jane Fonda remains unforgiven. For a great many people, its not enough that Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam, offered encouragement to an army that was daily killing her countrymen, climbed up on that anti-aircraft gun, insisted that all American prisoners were well treated, and so on. I said that the POWs claiming torture were liars, hypocrites, and pawns. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. I am going to let the extract stand as it is, containing just enough truth to be uncomfortable, I think. He was Americas most famous pediatrician. He hadnt liked the story but at least was willing to discuss it. I mean, that's what you and I do with our wives when we say something that we shouldn't have said. In 1972, Fonda toured North Vietnam, where she spoke against U.S. military policy in the country. However, since the majority of the stories cited in the e-mail have no proof behind them, I had to either give the e-mail "thumbs down" or "thumbs up" on the basis of the overall validity. FONDA: I'm charging the government with genocide, with genocide. There's no denying that she defamed POWs by whitewashing the Viet Cong's treatment of them and later calling them liars when they spoke out." It sounds loony until you actually think about it - and the general thesis of "no-win wars" (i.e.

New Ranch Homes Johnson County, Ks $150,000 To $175,000, Mastiff X Great Dane Puppies For Sale Perth, Land For Sale In Miller County, Mo, Examples Of Non Learning Organizations, Articles W

what did jane fonda vietnam