class action suit against hardie board siding

However, bare in mind that a materials energy performance isnt the only factor worth considering when choosing the right siding for your home. If you have any questions or comments e-mail us any time. Although Hardie siding is a great product backed by a fantastic warranty, issues can still happen during manufacturing. Remarkably so. Obviously if I could only hope to receive a few thousand from the lawsuit then Im better off just taking the $2000 from Allura and warning everyone I know about their shoddy product. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? This is one of the worst problems with Hardie siding considering its not an option. This leads to swelling, crumbling, cracking,and peeling paint. My builder purchased it from Christensen Lumber here in Fremont, Nebraska. If you dont do the required maintenance the problems will be more than cosmetic. Their customer service is good and they have local reps available to come out and check the job whenever you need. I hired a contractor to replace said siding about one month ago. The fact that the Atkins Diet has been in the news recently is an indication that the lawsuits may have some merit. Hardie is the brand name of a top fiber cement siding manufacturer, but theyre are lots of manufacturers out there that sell fiber cement siding. Finally, the Ketner crew is highly trained. High winds shredded panels, exposing the underlying oriented strand board (OSB) to torrential rains, intensifying and speeding up the disintegration process. Cannot even get the Builder Southern Traditions Rob Carter to respond either. Through the years, JKC crews have continued to replace old LP siding with new Hardie plank siding on hundreds of houses. Thanks ! This does not even cover the cost of the plank considering I just found out they changed their products wood grain. This method of manufacture reportedly costs less than using cement, but allegedly led to the defects found in the Allura fiber cement siding. Weather plays a huge role in how long paint will last along with how much sun you get some keep that in mind. It was made in North Carolina at the time stated. WebParagraph 1.1 (i) of the Settlement Agreement established a six (6) year Claims Submission Period that concluded on August 11, 2020. Almost the entire house needs to be painted due to the fading. For information on deleting the cookies, please consult your browsers help function. Please add me to this class action against ALLURA. My house was built new in 2012 and within the first year the defects started showing up. According to Georgia Pacific Representatives this siding did not have the defects found in Jarrett siding. Can you forward me any information you have regarding this, as I am just beginning this process and am having a difficult time finding any information about it. A recent class action lawsuit claims that Allura fiber siding is defective and fails to meet standards for performance and weather. However, she noticed in 2018 that her siding was cracking and breaking and that her neighbors had similar experiences. So installers may not be familiar with the small detail you need to know like the proper gap requirements. Please add me. Allegedly, production defects have led to premature product failure, including cracking, warping, discoloration, flaking, and shrinkage that sometimes even leads to the siding being pulled from the house. We deal with Hardie products on a regular basis for both new installations and repair work. CertainTeed will pay $103.9 million to settle the Class Action Eligible Class Members can choose from three options: The deadline to exclude yourself from or object to the settlement is March 18, 2021. Defendants subsequently deployed representatives to inspect the homes and are currently aware of the extensive damage caused by their defective Siding to Plaintiffs home, the Allura fiber siding lawsuit claims. There is extensive cracking. This proposed class action settlement covers the entire United States. Allura is giving us the run around asking for more pics- wants to see if it was installation issue. Fitted on over four million homes in North America, the fiber cement siding was boosted by manufacturer claims that it was unmatched for its weather resistance, toughness and natural beauty, that every James Hardie siding product we make is designed and engineered to defend your home against the worst things you can imagine, and that Its hard to say whats more beautiful. Even hurricanes. Furthermore, instead of the 50-year transferrable warranty that the company markets, the real warranty given to customers is a significantly less limited warranty, according to allegations. Having problem on my warranty claims. I dont think so. Here we see multiple examples of Hardie board installation problems on the same wall. It claims that the siding cracks, warps, discolors, flakes, and shrinks which often results in it being pulled from its fasteners. Property owners who experienced problems with James Hardie fiber cement siding may be able to participate in a class action lawsuit to recover compensation for repair costs and other damages. Hardie Board Class Action Lawsuit is a new legal case that has been launched against R.J. Johnson and GlaxoSmithKline, the two main manufacturers of the Atkins diet plan. James Hardie, the giant siding and backerboard manufacturer, is facing mounting claims that their fiber cement exterior siding does not last as long as the company led consumers to believe, and that warranty claims are not handled appropriately. In order to do that you have to hire the right professional to do the job. The plaintiffs claim that James Hardie Building Products knew of the defects at the time of sale and intentionally concealed material information concerning the siding from the plaintiffs and the general public. However, if you havnt installed it correctly, then your probably not. Future water damage just waiting to happen. I am the owner of the house with cracked Allura planks. As we keep mentioning, moisture problems with Hardie siding are by far the worst issues youll have using the product so do everything you can to make sure water can not absorb into the siding, including sealing all butt joints properly and installing the correct flashing. Fiber cement siding products are painted. However, if siding boards have simply become loose over time, it may be possible to repair the loose siding boards without needing to replace them. We had a home built in 2016 the allura siding has been cracking .Allura is willing to give us $ 80.00 for 5 pieces of board we now have a lot more than 5 boards every week more pop up .How can we be part of a class action law lawsuit ? This will eventually lead to deterioration of the siding and can possibly spread into the sheathing layer. New cases and investigations, settlement deadlines, and news straight to your inbox. Im about to install it but after reading this Im not sure if I should proceed. We use cookies to improve functionality and performance, enhance user experience, and provide tailored content. Privacy Policy | And second, the importance of partnering with a trusted siding replacement contractor. Consumers may be able to make a claim in this settlement if they own a home that has Allura fiber cement siding that was manufactured in Plycems White City, Oregon, plant between Feb. 1, 2014, and May 7, 2014, or manufactured at the companys Roaring River, North Carolina, plant between Feb 1, 2014, and Feb. 18, 2015. Fire. And the majority of moisture issues are actually caused by improper installation. When it comes to insulation values, your siding doesnt contribute much. Even worse, it has been reported that some siding can completely break and fall off the structure. Top Class Actions is a legal news source Please add me. I am seeing cracks in random location on our home. Hi, Most Hardie siding problems we see are due to improper installation. Definitely not the most protectivepart of your homes exterior, in fact when calculating a homes r-value, most builders dont even take the siding into account. Required fields are marked *. It is still being manufactured at the Catawba plant. WebThis lawsuit claims that James Hardie fiber cement siding contains at least one defect and does not defend against elements, such as rain and snow. Insulated siding is available with an r-value of up to 3.5. Wind. Below well show some of the worst problems with Hardie siding in detail as well as list the most common Hardie board installation problems we see. Neither the construction contractor nor the siding sub-contractor wants to cover the installation warranty, they want me to take care of the filing and claim to the court. I have a home that was installed with Allura Maxi Plank lap siding. According to previous James Hardie siding lawsuits, the company markets and warrants its siding as able to stand up to all the elements, and thus offers long-lasting protection for a period of 50 years without the need for maintenance, but does not deliver on these performance or warranty claims. Hardie siding problems due to improper installation are so common because its installed a little different than vinyl and isnt as popular. I am beyond angry with this product MAXIPLANK. Can people from Oregon join? The extent of efflorescence on my house is insane and very embarrassing. We built our home in 2012 and choose to use cement board siding because of the no to low maintainance, it was also more expensive than vinyl or aluminum siding. With so many siding products available today, its important to understand the benefits, as well as the problems with Hardie siding before you make a decision about what siding to install on your home. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Your email address will not be published. I started warranty claims on the paint and the defective siding as well as had the builder also try the pinning methods provided by allura which further damaged the siding. Stating that I had to of purchase siding from a certain plant from Feb. 2014- Feb. 2015 which is not true. It seems like everyone wants to blame it on the install. The title of this article is Problems With Hardie Siding but it should really be Fiber Cement Siding Problems as thats what Hardie siding actually is. In addition, Atkins Diet claims to be able to reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol and increasing the HDL or good cholesterol in your body. The lawsuit alleges that some James Hardie fiber-cement siding contains at least one defect that causes paint to peel off of the boards and causes the boards to shrink and crack. Compare that to other siding products, such as vinyl, which require no maintenance whatsoever. When installing fiber cement you have to respect the manufacturers recommended clearances. Please add us to the list. Please add us to the Class Action Suit as well. James Hardie and Studorp were asked to pay costs of $2500 to the respondents. How do we get added to this class action suit. Tell us about your experience in the comment section below. Fire. Schell directed me to Allura to file a claim. Some plaintiffs alleged that the siding grew fungi. Siding boards, especially long ones, need to be be supported at both ends when moved. The only way to reduce moisture absorption with any fiber cement siding product is correct installation. It has been alleged that the company sold defectively designed and manufactured exterior fiber cement siding that can fail Certainteed Fiber Cement Siding (now owned by Allura) has reached a class action settlement. Remember, one of the main Hardie siding problems is water damage however its also one of the easiest to prevent with proper installation. Fire. When homeowners take on a massive home improvement project such as siding replacement, theyre naturally concerned about the quality of the material. But vinyl siding at least offers an insulated version which is about 10x better than Hardie. But it has some big disadvantages compared to other siding products on the market today. There are certain presumptions related to the date of installation that apply, which are described in more detail in the, The notice provides only a summary of the terms of the. Im very sad about this, for so many reasons, and this offer to stand by warranty is just a fraction of the expense to re-side my pretty new house. Thanks ! To emphasize a couple of things. I also see some nailing issues and bad caulking at the joints. Having same problems with Allura siding installed in 2018. According to previous James Hardie siding lawsuits, the company markets and warrants its siding as able to stand up to all the elements, and thus offers long-lasting protection for a period of 50 years without the need for maintenance, but does not deliver on these performance or warranty claims. A final approval hearing is scheduled for May 17, 2021. Make sure you hire a professional that has experience working with fiber cement. A proposed settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit concerning a siding product known as Cladwood. Homebuilt in 2014. Because Hardie siding is so stiff any movement of the house can cause cracks in the siding which are typical of any rigid masonry product. My entire house is in need of a full paint and/or complete replacement of the siding. This means they periodically require re-painting to maintain a beautiful appearance. This may be my recourse. More than 37,000 claims were filed against LP, and the company ultimately paid out almost $1 billion to satisfy those claims. I have a home near Raleigh NC that was built in 2018 and the siding is cracking all over. Touch up paint may be needed to cover small nicks, scrapes, scratches, nail holes, peeling, dents, cracks, etc. Cannot use other siding options. Sales rep came out and inspected took pictures as requested by the Allure Factory. None of its stands a chance against Other allegations posed by the lawsuit include: Before commenting, please review our comment policy. The upfront cost of Hardie is amplified further by its long term maintenance requirements. Click Change Settings if you want to tailor the use of your cookies. Impact. And to prove it, most of our products come with a 50-year transferable warranty. Richmond Virginia. Thats how we compare and contrast all the different materials we build a new home with. Karen Kenney v. Allura USA, LLC. Class Members should register their intent to file a claim now. Unlike other fiber cement siding which utilize common grain and silica, Allura siding reportedly uses fly ash in the manufacturing process. I am the second owner of a home that had cracked siding. We live in Iowa so if you know anyone here to put us in contact with I would appreciate you reaching out to me directly. Click Change Settings if you want to tailor the use of your cookies. New cases and investigations, settlement deadlines, and news straight to your inbox. In fact weve never had it happen on any home weve used it on. Can you advise how I might be able to participate in this class action given that I had not received any notice? Its not installed like vinyl or cedar shake so experience with those products isnt good enough. Fill out this form for a FREE and prompt case evaluation. Even hurricanes. 2:19-mn-2886-DCN, in the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina. We here complaints about fiber cement siding and get called to do repair work from time to time and every single time improper installation was the cause. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Hail. Based on the facts of the case, the plaintiffs allege that James Hardie Building Products, Inc. has breached and violated Express Warranties, Implied Warranties of Merchantability and Fitness, Californias Consumers Legal Remedies Act, Business & Professions Code, Floridas Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, Virginias Consumer Protection Act, Ohios Consumer Sales Practices, Minnesotas False Statement in Advertising Act, and Minnesotas Statue of Unlawful Trade Practices. Wind. Improper handling. Again, make sure your installer is a well trained and experience professional who works with fiber cement. So bottom line, install it the right way and avoid water issues altogether. This is one of the worst problems with Hardie siding considering its not an option. But thats not accurate. Does Hardie siding absorb water? As with Hardie, fiber cement siding problems are mainly due to two things, water and improper installation. Hardie board installation problems are easily avoided if you hire an experienced professional to do the work. Click Accept if you consent. Hiring a Divorce Attorney in Toledo, Ohio, Clackamas County District Attorney John Wentworth. Certainteed Fiber Cement Siding (now owned by Allura) has reached a class action settlement. We continue to have more cracking and warping. Handle Hardie siding with care and always make sure to cut and nail it properly to avoid cracking. Wind. I was given a no go on the replacement and we have been in our house 2.5 years, YES 2.5!!! This flies in the face of all established medical knowledge regarding how to lose and maintain weight. And if anything goes wrong, well make it right. After 5 yrs. This proposed class action settlement covers the entire United States. A 2008 brochure stated: James Hardie siding is tough. I had this product in my house in Oregon and in my house in North Carolina. This is one reason we recommend Hardie brand siding over other fiber cement manufacturers. According to the plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit, the Allura fiber cement siding is prone to cracking, bowing, shrinking, breaking, and other issues. Actions does not process claims and we cannot advise you on the The Class Action Lawsuit involves claims that the Atkins diet was dangerous for kids because they have suffered various long term health problems. From Northern California, complete exterior of home upgraded with Allura fiber cement You could also call Hardie or whatever siding manufacturer you used and ask them to send out a rep to inspect. Top Class Actions is a legal news source Make sure you hire a siding company that works with Hardie on a regular basis. Hardie board installation problems are a huge problem because if installed the wrong way any damage resulting from improper installation will not be warrantied and your siding will be subject to premature damage and deterioration. WebThe lawsuit alleges that some James Hardie fiber-cement siding contains at least one defect that causes paint to peel off of the boards and causes the boards to shrink and crack. Fiber cement planks are floppy until secured on the wall and holding them only in the middle or transporting them over a shoulder can cause cracking. that reports on class action lawsuits, class action settlements, If you dont paint the siding every 7-10 years, on average, itll start to fade and/or peel, crack or chip. To be fair other materials dont offer much in terms of r-value either. Over time the warping can continue since repairing a board or two wont actually address the reason why the boards are warping in the first place. My contractor went bankrupt and closed up shop. I cannot believe that I may have to bear the cost of residing my new home after only 3.5 years of occupancy. You must contact the Fiber cement can also be brittle before being nailed to the wall. Or, as many refer to it, the LP siding recall fiasco. Hi Anne, Its near total lack of any insulation value is still an area of concern. settlement administrator or your attorney for any updates regarding But, if water manages to get through the surface layer and into the siding, youll have big problems down the road. And for Hardie Siding, it also means we honor all individual product warranties. Your email address will not be published. In fact moisture problems are one of the biggest Hardie siding problems youll have to deal with. This high quality material doesnt need much to keep it looking great throughout the years. Joes experience helped him learn a great deal and illustrated the need for a new Portland-area siding company that provided local homeowners with premium siding. Its a fantastic siding product but make sure to install and care for it properly and keep your eye on any areas where water collects. Here at Gambrick we typically use a waterproof sealant like silicone caulk to join the siding to other parts of the home. Theres no way to completely eliminate them when the material itself is the problem. For instance, while a brick veneer will only get you an R-value of around 0.11, vinyl siding typically has a measurement of 0.61. A Class Action Lawsuit is a legal suit in which several individuals are filing suits together as a collective unit, representing the victims of the manufacturer or distributor of defective products. WebFiber cement siding products are painted. document.getElementById( "ak_js_5" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); @2023 Top Class Actions. Dents, chips, cracks and other minor surface damage can be filled with cementitious patching compound. You must contact the Same here in 2012 in Wisconsin, I have not had any luck, can you forward any information if you have had any? When installing fiber cement you have to make sure each butt joint is installed correctly as this is a common problem area. Elementia/Allura has offered to refund the cost of the 47 planks out of 500 that have cracked. If you installed factory primed Hardie siding plan on re-painting it in 5 15 years. I built a house with allura and it seems like new boards are cracking every day. What is the process of being added to this Class Action Lawsuit? These areas include, but not limited to, penetrations, flashing, plank and trim connections, and in some cases, between plank joints. Plaintiffs in a Allura class action lawsuit allege that despite manufacturer claims that the siding will last 50 years, the material choice resulted in water absorption, porosity problems, and other uniform defects. These defects are reportedly not present in traditional grain and silica sand fiber siding. High winds shredded panels, exposing the underlying oriented strand board (OSB) to torrential rains, intensifying and speeding up the disintegration process. This amplifies the problem during times of extended heavy rains or snow. There are all sorts of issues due to moisture problems with Hardie siding. Please note that registering for this settlement is not the same as filing a claim. Do it wrong and the material is a nightmare. Anyone in the Houston area having issues with the Allura product? The added cost for install is a must though, dont try to save money hear or youll live to regret it. James Hardie and Studorp were asked to pay costs of $2500 to the respondents. Allura Fiber Cement Siding Settlement 2021 Start To Claim The $12.5 Million Settlement Rebate Now. We have Allura Siding as well which was installed in 2015. This warranty allegedly does not even cover parts of the siding and are severely limited in their offers to remedy customers warranty claims. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. Wed love to hear from you. The deadline to exclude yourself is, You may write to the Court explaining why you object to the Settlement. Its Allura. Fluctuations in humidity. James Hardie and Studorp were asked to pay costs of $2500 to the respondents. Virginia home built in 2014 now showing same cracks as others described. I am in Virginia, my Allura prepainted siding has cracked on almost every board. One of the worst problems with Hardie siding is the cost. Can Indoor Air Conditioners Be kept On The Floor? Please let me know what you have found out in the class action suit or any other information. Impact. Unlike other fiber cement siding which utilize common grain and silica, Allura siding reportedly uses fly ash in the manufacturing process. The Atkins Diet is one of the most popular diet programs in the world today. Click Accept if you consent. Just about every home has an area where siding comes in direct contact with a surface that collects or passes water, snow, or ice. The lawsuit further alleges that James Hardie has not lived up to its warranty obligation to replace the damaged siding. There is no way youll be covered by the manufacturers warranty with workmanship like this. Thanks for considering! Under normal circumstances, when installed correctly, Hardie is a great siding product and resists water. At Joseph Ketner Construction, we specialize in the installation of James Hardie Siding. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_3" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); document.getElementById( "ak_js_4" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Please note: Top Class Actions is not a settlement Linda, we have MaxiLite siding as well installed in 2012 cracking like crazy everywhere, Please add me to this lawsuit, We built our home in 2013 and Maxi Tile siding was used. WebFiber cement siding products are painted. I have hundreds of cracked and warped boards on my house sided in 1/2016. Hi Dawn, Keep siding 2 away from roof surfaces, decks, driveways, steps, and other similar hard surfaces. WebSweets Catalog Hardie Advertisement.) However, Storms builder allegedly told him that this cracking was typical and told him not to worry about this condition. After the cracking worsened, Storm took similar action to Carbonaro and informed the builder of the issue. By Consider The Consumer on 06/09/2021. settlement administrator or your attorney for any updates regarding Allura made offer to replace one side of home (most cracks) but not other 3. Fly ash is a by-product of coal burning often produced by power plants. Another point to remember is that assuming you installed your Hardie siding correctly, and it does absorb some water, then your covered by the warranty. While there is no guarantee that the Atkins Diet will lower your cholesterol and increase your good cholesterol, it is important to remember that reducing cholesterol naturally lowers your total cholesterol, while raising good cholesterol can help reduce your overall blood pressure. NJ Businesses. Read more. This option is available only on claims for qualifying damage that do not exceed 30 percent of an elevation. In addition to allegations of product defects, plaintiffs also claim the life expectancy of the product is less than 50 years, despite the fact that James Hardie widely advertised a 50-year warranty for the siding. The claims were initially disregarded due to the expiration of the builders warranty, but the builder allegedly notified the manufacturer of the problem. Installed in 2014. The Final Approval Hearing is scheduled for. Now we must replace the siding. Researching this topic often leads to the famous (or perhaps infamous) Louisiana-Pacific siding recall. The vast majority of complaints we get about fiber cement siding are due to improper installation. Keep in mind damage due to moisture absorption can happen with siding even when its installed perfectly. We would all like to be added. We can give you some tips on what to ask regarding your homes siding and whether or not you may be able to file a claim of your own. Our siding is cracking as well. Unlike vinyl, aluminum, and other siding materials, Hardie siding will need to be re-painted. Give us a call today! Its what the siding is made of thats the problem. However, this can result in some functions no longer being available. Any violation of the instructions can create serious moisture concerns and void the products warranty. Please provide any additional information about your inquiry. Please include me in the case action. The company manufactured this product during the early- to mid-1990s and homeowners noticed problems cropping up almost immediately. Certainteed Fiber Cement Siding (now owned by Allura) has reached a class action settlement. These rights and options and the deadlines to exercise them are explained in the Notice. Over time, the siding further deteriorated and started to shrink, causing gaps between the boards and causing some boards to pull from their fasteners. The siding also warped, delaminated, and became severely discolored in places. Thanks. WebThe lawsuit alleges that some James Hardie fiber-cement siding contains at least one defect that causes paint to peel off of the boards and causes the boards to shrink and crack. So add me. Please add me to this. According to previous James Hardie siding lawsuits, the company markets and warrants its siding as able to stand up to all the elements, and thus offers long-lasting protection for a period of 50 years without the need for maintenance, but does not deliver on these performance or warranty claims. It is still being manufactured at the Catawba plant. Fiber cement is a great siding materials, but you have to install it the right way. Thank you. ClassAction.org is a group of online professionals (designers, developers and writers) with years of experience in the legal industry. So besides the cracked siding our siding gaps and is not snug because of the broken corner too. If you dont paint the siding every 7-10 years, on average, itll start to fade and/or peel, crack or chip. In 1994, a national class-action lawsuit was settled against some of the largest manufacturers of hardboard siding products. In Home Building we use a measurement, known as R-value, to rate how well a building material insulates. However, siding installed incorrectly can absorb moisture in all sorts of additional ways depending on what errors were made during the install. Now Joe continues to work and pass on his expertise for siding and exterior remodeling. How Do I Find an Ams 800 Lawsuit Settlement Attorney? WebSweets Catalog Hardie Advertisement.) Hardie has steadily grown in popularity since, mostly due to its durability, style, feel and texture.

Is West Milford, Nj A Good Place To Live, Bottomless Brunch Market Harborough, Articles C

class action suit against hardie board siding